Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Would no IFS be your deal-breaker?

OK, we just returned home from GNR, and saw some new and nice changes to the 2010's. Also, some not-so-nice. I have never owned a coach with IFS, but have always thought that my next one would definitely have it.

Some earlier models had it, but either interior colors or floorplan didn't work for us, so we've stayed with ours.

Now comes the 2010 Tour 40CD, and we really like almost everything about it. Except that it has no IFS, so I am hesitant.

Did Winnebago make a big mistake here? What are your thoughts on it?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It would be a deal breaker for me. I wonder if it will be offered as an option as it was earlier on the Vectra and Horizon.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ifs

Capt.
What is IFS?
jrtgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

IFS = Independant Front Suspension. As opposed to Straight Front Axel.

IFS is a much better riding front suspension.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Yes, Sammie is correct. Supposed to be a better-riding, (more expensive), front suspension system, and as a cost-cutting move, Winnebago Industries has discontinued it on all 2010 Winnebago and Itasca motorhomes, all models. The rep said they will not be offering it, even as an option.
Indian River, De
Old 07-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think the more important issue is that the IFS has a 60 degree wheel cut vs 55 degree wheel cut. 5 degrees makes a big difference when trying to get into tight places. I have had the straight I beam suspension in a 2005 Journey and didn't think the ride was all that bad. If it was not for the increased wheel cut I would not let the lack of IFS stop me from buying a coach.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

In spite of my high confidence in Winnebago quality and customer service, with no IFS offered, and no side radiators, it would be very difficult for me to be excited about buying a new Winnebago now...
Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I own an 07 Vectra with the IFS and love it. I drove the 43 model at GNR and can say it rides a "little" rougher but it would not be a deal breaker. With the increased wheelbase it is smoother but in the driver's seat it really was not much different. Riding as a passenger behind the wheel I noticed more noise and bumping but I've ridden back there in my own coach. My understanding was that Winnebago gained 500 pounds of carryiing capacity by going with the straight axle (and I'm sure it was less expensive). My IFS only has 56 degree turn so I would not notice any turning difference other than the increased 5 inches in the wheelbase.
I honestly think the only really reason I noticed any difference was because I could hear the front wheel going over bumps. The insulation is so awesome in the 42 footer that you cannot hear the diesel running, so you now can hear the tires bouncing. With the thicker insulation in roof and back it is super quiet. I could not believe how quiet it was in the driver's seat-- oh, my wife wasn't with me....
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I would have to say drive it before eliminating it. You may be surprised and not notice the lack of IFS.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

No side radiator is the bigger deal breaker for me. May be able to live without IFS. Will look at others for retirement coach.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
No side radiator is the bigger deal breaker for me. May be able to live without IFS. Will look at others for retirement coach.
For me, maybe it's just been some good luck, but out rear radiator MH has not been a drawback. I have had the valve lash done by a Cat-cert mechanic for $75; I have never had an over-heat condition, and I have cleaned the radiator every year or so, in about an hours' time. I do my own filters and fluids changes, and have had no access problems.

I wouldn't mind having it, but I really don't see it being that important.
Indian River, De
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

One of the reasons I bought my 2009 Vectra was IFS. But to be completely honest with you, I can't tell any big difference in the ride between my Vectra and my uncle's 2008 Tour.

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
One of the reasons I bought my 2009 Vectra was IFS. But to be completely honest with you, I can't tell any big difference in the ride between my Vectra and my uncle's 2008 Tour.
Jim, have your driven your uncle's Tour in some less-than ideal condisions? Interested to know if your IFS handles better (less steering correction), in side winds and on uneven roads, than the straight axle?
Indian River, De
Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

It must be ...

It must be different in our selection of motorhomes ..

When the DW walks into the rig and her eyes glaze over ... that is the rig we buy ... the layout of the bathroom, convenience of the kitchen, interior colors etc TRUMPS IFS, CAT vs Cummins, rear vs side radiator, etc.

There used to be a lumber yard store here in Oshkosh with a sign that said
You can't buy panelling unless your wife is with you or you have a note from her

... and they meant it. They had too many guys returning panelling that their wife rejected.

That pretty much summarizes our motorhome selection process ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

[quote=CaptBill;528294]For me, maybe it's just been some good luck, but out rear radiator MH has not been a drawback. I have had the valve lash done by a Cat-cert mechanic for $75;

I'd love to find a CAT certified mechanic who would do a valve adjustment for $75. That was a good deal.

While I suspect we won't be buying a new rig anytime soon, I've always thought I'd really have to have IFS and a side radiator rig. Now I am not so sure that would be a deal breaker if otherwise we loved the rig. I do wonder if radiator replacement (likely if you keep a rig long enough) is more expensive in a rear radiator set up vs. side. I do know engine access is improved with side radiator but that's likely only important if you are planning to do your own service.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Less than ideal conditions, no. Through the mountains, yes. I was one of those that had to have IFS. My wife wanted to save money with the Tour. In the end, I'm glad we bought the Vectra, its awesome. But IFS? I don't know if it would be a deal breaker next time. I love the Vectra's ride, but the Tour has a nice ride too. I can't imagine Winnebago ditching IFS if it was a big time must have with that many of us.

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I can't imagine Winnebago ditching IFS if it was a big time must have with that many of us.
I think that is really the key -- Winnebago buyers are predominantly mid-range buyers, looking for the most bang for their buck w/o going to the higher end of the procuct line. It seems to me that Winnebago continually flirts with options that higher end coaches have, then backs off. The Ultimate line was their boldest move in that direction in recent years, but they dropped the line after a few years -- and many Winnebago owners (and some dealers I have been to for service) never even heard of the Ultimates. Quite frankly, we were very lucky to fall into a good deal on an Ultimate, and didn't really know what a great coach it was until AFTER it was ours! IFS and side radiators were more minor flirts. "High end" just isn't their bread and butter! Now they are flirting with the new 42' w/tag axle model... Whether or not it stays around will depend on the return on investment! Whether or not we like their choices, Winnebago management is smart -- they continually re-focus to concentrate on where their best return is -- that is why the brand is as strong as it is, and why it keeps on going strong when others all around are going under!!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Pull the handle, Bill, Time is marching on..Good Luck and all our best to you and the MRS. Ichn
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hey Jimmy, good to see you here. Yep; not gettin' any younger. We've had a really good run of 6+ years with our Horizon, and she's running better than ever. Everything works; nothing squeaks or leaks. Almost scared to let 'er go. Might not be so lucky with the next one

Thanks everybody, for your comments and contributions to my post. Still undecided, but IF we decide to go for it, the new Tour/Elipse is looking pretty good. Wife sure likes it...
Indian River, De
Old 08-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

My '05 journey did not have IFS. My '06 Vectra does.......it is a huge difference in my opinion. A deal breaker? For me it would be.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote