Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We're still trying to decide which motorhome to buy. Now we are looking at those with gas engines - specifically the Workhorse W22/Chevy Vortec 8.1L. We have been researching DP's for months, but now we are considering the cost vs the benefit.

Where do we start to research the good points, bad points, what to look for, problems, modifications that we will probably want to make.

We are looking forward to getting our new MH, learning all about it, and being able to give back to this forum what you all have given to us. And we want to go fishing!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We're still trying to decide which motorhome to buy. Now we are looking at those with gas engines - specifically the Workhorse W22/Chevy Vortec 8.1L. We have been researching DP's for months, but now we are considering the cost vs the benefit.

Where do we start to research the good points, bad points, what to look for, problems, modifications that we will probably want to make.

We are looking forward to getting our new MH, learning all about it, and being able to give back to this forum what you all have given to us. And we want to go fishing!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

GoneFishing

After selling our second diesel pusher we were doing the same thing. We had hought about going back to gas. After a lot of research we were sold on the Workhorse/Chevy over the Ford. We ended up purchasing a used diesel. There is no right answer. Do a lot of test drives. We like the Winnebago product and think that would be a good choice as far as brand. Once you decide on the brand you can do a search here for problems and modifications. What did you have before? Good luck with what ever you decide.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am a newbie to the Class A scene but I did about 4 months of research and wound up buying the Sunrise 35A on a W22 chassis with the Vortec 8.1. I drove a few others including a Ford and a diesel and the diesel definitely drives differently -- engine noise in the rear and handling/ride seems somewhat better. Cost and comfort/knowledge of gas engines influenced my decision.
The Allison transmission is the biggest advantage in my opinion to go with the WH setup. Also the WH 22/24 chassis are really built to handle the heavy Class A load IMHO The unit I bought has all the chassis upgrades that I have read on this board which I was considering installing. All I did was install Koni FSDs. Had the maiden voyage this past weekend and the ride/handling/power more the meets my expectations. The trip was only 40 miles one way but had a change in elevation of 3000 feet so it was a good test driving our mountain roads in Colorado.
Good luck with your research and in my opinion stick with Winnebago and you won't go wrong.
Frank O.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

1st Moho 99 35C Adventurer Ford
2nd Moho 03 Horizon 39QD Diesel
3rd Moho 02 35U Workhorse

Too each his own and you will have many opinions. For me I found the Ford to be noisey, lots of heat in the passenger area(insulated the motor box)and hard to drive. There may be big improvements by now.

The diesel was a dream. Just too long for us and expensive to sit in the drive way. 17500,miles in three years and no extended trips.

The 02 is a nice MOHO, drives and rides nice, not noisey for a gasser. I believe if I had this rig at first I would never have bought the diesel...You have to decide for yourself which is best for you..there are pros and cons to all of them...Drive them all, check the drive and ride, floorplan, amenties on the coach and buy which YOU like best. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Back in 2006, I bought our 2004 Tiffin Open Road. It has the 8.1 but then I'm a Big Block Chevy Fan!! I installed a cold air kit, (My own fabrication) and dumped the Donaldson truck mufflers and installed Flowmasters built for the same truck chassis and fuel mileage went up to 9.3 towing my Wrangler. The fuel mileage was in the area of 7.6 and I thought that wasn't too hot! The fuel mileage naturally fluctuates as one climbs mountains and such. The measurement was made on I-40 running East out of Amarillo. Pretty flat running. Anyway---I'm really happy especially now that I threw out the orginal spark plugs and put in replacements. The orginals were gapped around, and get this sports fans, 1/8 of an inch!!! They are supposed to be 0.60 thousands.
Boonierat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Boonierat, Can you tell me the name/part number of the Flowmasters you put on? Also, did you replace the exhaust pipes or convertor? Thanks,Lloyd
flash1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We're on our 5th season in our Meridian 36G. After 44,000 miles I think the CAT C7 is just getting broken in. If this were a gasser would I have used 40% of my engine lifetime? On the other hand, we paid extra $$ for the diesel and extra $$ for the CAT. I'd bet the premium price is more than a rebuild for 8.1L vortec.

For what its worth we love the 36G.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Did something happen to the Cayman? I remember back when you bought it in Pomona.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well we own a W22 Workhorse after having had a Ford. The ride is better. Less noise and heat. Performance and power are better. However, there is also the brake recall issue and a growing lack of authorized repair places. The current Workhorse owners are not making gas engine chassis and I for one wonder what will happen to customer support down the road.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have looked at several DMH before I bought my '05 Adventurer. People are always saying that a diesel will last 200,000 miles and I don't doubt it, but nothing else on the MH will last that long. I have had the V-10 and was not that pleased with the overall package. The engine was noisy and the engine cover got real hot and the tranny shifted like a kick in the ass. That was on a Bounder. My 8.1 is like driving a SUV with about the same noise level and the Allison tranny is butta!
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ah, the Ford vs Workhorse vs Diesel debate. To each his own. Two years ago I bought an 03 Winnebago Brave on the W22 chassis with 32000 miles. I tow a 2006 Pontiac G6. We've climbed high mountain passes and crossed the Great Plains a couple of times. We average around 8 miles a gallon. The unit handles very well and has been trouble free. We love it.
artmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmartin View Post
Ah, the Ford vs Workhorse vs Diesel debate. To each his own.
My son-in-law made the decision (gas v. diesel) really easy for us! When we were looking he said if we bought a gas engine we'd have a mechanic, if we bought a diesel we'd be on our own! It was pretty much a no-brainer for us after that!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
We're still trying to decide which motorhome to buy. Now we are looking at those with gas engines - specifically the Workhorse W22/Chevy Vortec 8.1L.....

Where do we start to research the good points, bad points, what to look for, problems, modifications that we will probably want to make.........
Right HERE on iRV2.com, of course. Please visit us down below in the WORKHORSE FORUM!!

Ed
Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post

i would advise against buying a w20 or w22 right now. there is an unresolved brake issue. a recall on all w20 and w22 chassis bosch brake calipers is pending, about 50,000 coaches. use the search function of this forum to research this issue. at least go into this with your eyes open.
the w24 chassis brakes are ok. they are not made by bosch. that is the chassis that i would purchase if i was in the market at this time.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Workhorse good and bad..

First I drive a Workhorse with an 8.1 L and I could not be happier with it, This is one fantastic Motor home.. The problems are as follows

1: GM issued a recall on the 8.1, A fuel clip, make sure it's been satisfied if it applies (this is a very minior issue as to getting it fixed, but it's a major one if not fixed)

2: There is a recall in progress on the BOSCH brakes.. They are not yet replacing the systems (The new ones are not out yet) but this is in progress. NEW Workhorse units use a different brake system so don't worry about it if buying new.. NOTE. I've not had this problem.

3: Cargo Carrying capacity, this is common to all Gassers... I've less than 1,000 pounds of CCC in my coach, that's not much when you consider the tools I carry.

Finally.. GM has discontinued the 8.1

Now, the 8.1 comes with an Allison drive shaft turner on it (Transmission) and... Though folks may argue over who makes the best engine,,, If you ask who makes the best tranny the overwhelming response will be ALLISON!!!!! and frankly. haveing driven it cross country and back twice, haveing driven over several mountain ranges, I have to say I AGREE.. I am very impressed with this system.. The motor home has more than enough power to get me up the hills properly and the transmission assists with going down.. No worries about what gear to go down in.. It does it for me, and quite well too.

Common weaknesses in motor homes which can be fixed after market are

Sway (Side to side rocking) The sway bars workhorse put on this unit are very good I've not improved them

Tracking (This is where the body does not remain centered over the wheels) I did add one Track Bar, Made an improvement

Steering: I added a stabilizer, Made an improvement.

But .... Nearly everyone does this or complains about the handling of the rig, no matter what the chassis.. So that's common.

Would I buy another motor home on a Workhorse Chassis with an 8.1?

Depends on how big a lottery I win.. Big enough I'd upgrade to a DP, but otherwise,,, YES, I would.. I'm very happy with this one.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I've had 2 Ford V-10's..A Fleetwood C class and a Coachmen A class and now have a GM w-22 chassis on a Georgie Boy with the Workhorse engine and 6 speed Allison transmission.. I agree with the above comments re Ford engines..noisy, hot and the chassis rides like a hay wagon and it is rough when the transmission shifts..especially above 50 mph. Trying to talk to the co-pilot at 60mph in a Ford chassis means yelling or for sure raising your voice. On the other hand the Workhorse-Allison combo is a smooth ride compared to the Ford and is quiet..we can now talk without shouting and it's a dream to drive. No contest I'd say. I wish now I had never bought the Fords. That said I had no mechanical issues at all with Ford..just the noise and ride issues and rough tranny shifting.
JJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote