Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

does anyone know where to replace the retainer clip on the fuel line recall. workhorse sent me a recall notice and a clip and said to make an appt. i would like to replace it myself if i know where to look
Old 11-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

does anyone know where to replace the retainer clip on the fuel line recall. workhorse sent me a recall notice and a clip and said to make an appt. i would like to replace it myself if i know where to look
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just had mine replaced today by a Workhorse service center. It looked easy to do. Remove the doghouse cover. There could be 2 screws besides the allen screw holding it. The screws are in the front & on each side. Once the cover is removed look down at the engine. Follow the high pressure tube running around the engine. There is a value that looks like a tire value. Relieve the gas pressure. It is under 60 lbs of pressure, so be carefull! Now follow that tube around to the left rear of the engine. I'm not sure what it is called but it looks like a vacuum canister. The clip is on top of it. Having wrote all this, I'm not sure Workhorse would consider it fixed if a person did it himself.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
RJK
Winnebago Camper

jdsr,Go to the Workehorse chassis forum and read the posts about about the retainer clip recall.There is alot of good info for you to read. Look at the second post down in bold blue print,RJK
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Your data will not get updated if you do it yourself-- the campaign will show open -- have a Service Center change it --- 15 minute job --
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeT:
Your data will not get updated if you do it yourself-- the campaign will show open -- have a Service Center change it --- 15 minute job -- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the dealer can do it...and get grease on the carpet, "forget" to put the screws back in the doghouse cover (and throw them away)...but good thing is...the campaign is cleared!! lol
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

dave, is the pressure just air pressure and if so do i put 60 lbs back on when i finish or will it build up itself.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The pressure is fuel (gas) pressure. You should have a cooled engine and rags to absorb. Fuel pump will reinstate line pressure when engine is restarted.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

thanks for quick reply. are screws easy to find and where would the gas spill come from and how big a mess
Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Screws are #10 Phillips head, about 1-1/4" long. No need to replace them though. Cover stays secure just using main latch in center of doghouse lid.
Not much mess. Two small cotton shop rags will catch whatever spills out from the valve.
Be "clean" if you take the top off the pulse dampener.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Anyone with mechanical ability can replace the clip.The questions asked above do not make me feel that you should attempt this replacement. For your own safety I would strongly suggest you consult with a professional if you do not want to take the MH to a Workhorse Service Center.
If you do this yourself the recall will not be satisfied and will always show as an open recall. This is a General Motors recall, not just a Workhorse recall and must be installed by an agency who can certify to the Goverment.
Finally if you do it wrong you might end up with gasoline in you shoe while driving.
Take it to Workhorse
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

my closest dealer is over 100 miles away. i dont think i want to take that risk. what happens if it breaks in route? a fire
Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have conflicting feelings about the seriousness of getting the clip replaced. I also received the clip and recall notice in the mail. I called the 800 number in the recall and was told I had to take it to a certified Workhorse facility. When I asked if I could take it to my local GM dealer I was told no- it had to be a Workhorse facility. Then when I asked who was going to pay for the fuel to get there ( my nearest Workhorse center is about 50 miles away ) I was told there was no rush, just to wait until I was going by a Workhorse service center and then stop in and get it fixed. But if there's no concern why do we have a recall. Wouldn't a possible fire hazard be a concern? I have a friend who owns a Workhorse that is only 1 year older than ours and his clip failed but was caught at the dealer before anything bad happened, but the dealer had it towed to the Workhorse center to be fixed. I really don't understand why my local GM dealer can't be allowed to fix it, especially since Workhorse sent me the part and it is a GM engine and I'm sure the local GM dealer has qualified mechanics that can fix it in a jiff and save me the cost in time and gas of taking it 50 miles away to get fixed. Seems to me workhorse could make this simple fix a little easier to do than they are currently doing.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

If you have a local GMC or Chev dealer stop and ask them if they will do it. GM is recalling the 8.1 engines in their trucks. If they agree to do it call Workhorse,800 My Workhose, (same as roadside assistance) tell them the dealer etc, they can send (fax)paper work to your dealer.

I had the same situation of the long drive got it done locally, won't hurt to ask especially if a larger dealer.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

i changed mine out. it took all of about 30 seconds. thanks for info