Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I was having a problem with my motor running rough on my 2007 Suncruiser 38J. It was most noticeable at part throttle and about 1700 to 2000 rpm. My mileage was down as was power. So I took it into a service center. It turned out that I had two spark plug wires that were burned and two others that were in the process of failing. The service center called Workhorse and got the authorization to have two ram air ducts installed to cool the sides of the motor. These are scoops behind the lower grill with clothes dryer size hoses that run up to the motor and blow cool air on the spark plug area on each side. They replaced all eight plug wires and rerouted the cables also. This has solved my problem and my motorhome is back to its usual power and mileage. Apparently the rubber air dam and the doghouse trap too much heat which attacks the spark plug cables. By they way, this was all done at no cost to me. I am posting this in case there is someone else out there with a similar problem.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I was having a problem with my motor running rough on my 2007 Suncruiser 38J. It was most noticeable at part throttle and about 1700 to 2000 rpm. My mileage was down as was power. So I took it into a service center. It turned out that I had two spark plug wires that were burned and two others that were in the process of failing. The service center called Workhorse and got the authorization to have two ram air ducts installed to cool the sides of the motor. These are scoops behind the lower grill with clothes dryer size hoses that run up to the motor and blow cool air on the spark plug area on each side. They replaced all eight plug wires and rerouted the cables also. This has solved my problem and my motorhome is back to its usual power and mileage. Apparently the rubber air dam and the doghouse trap too much heat which attacks the spark plug cables. By they way, this was all done at no cost to me. I am posting this in case there is someone else out there with a similar problem.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Doug

Good information I hope mine is OK as it's out of warranty the end of last month. Maybe there are other ways to get more air to the engine compartment.

Bayway
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my W-24. I don't think it is a warranty issue and may be covered as a defect.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
This is not a new issue... Do a search over on the Workhorse forum fro burnt plug wires and you will find LOTS of posts.

The real problem is a OEM coach builder design issue. In most cases they don't have large enough grill openings to get the proper air flow.

The back 2 plugs on either side or both side can be effected.

Don't be surprised if you replace a few plug wires even after you get the Workhorse fix installed.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Sage:
Apparently the rubber air dam and the doghouse trap too much heat which attacks the spark plug cables. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug, The purpose of the rubber air dam over the top of the radiator is to redirect as much as possible the air that comes through the front grill toward the cool pack.

Keeping the internal temperatures of the engine within normal operating limits contributes toward preventing plug wire burn outs. Some engine enclosures present different air flow characteristics. The vent kit applies just enough cooling air to keep the affected wires below their burnout temperature. The small temperature differential provided by the vent kit makes the difference. The vent kit has proven to be a very successful device when it's required and installed properly in a great number applications.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My rubber air stop finally came unglued so I just removed it. Should I replace it? I bet the volume over the engine is getting more circulation than before. Is that bad?

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote