Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2002, 03:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I picked up my new 2003 Winnebage 35U on the W22 Chassis. The dealer changed out all the tires(still vibrates), had the Workhorse repair center look it over (couldn't find anything wrong) and it was sent to a truck driveline specialty shop who balanced the entire driveshaft. I took it on a 100 mile run, it has not been fixed. Vibrates right at 55-65 mph, feels just like a standard transmission vehicle when you stat to lug the engine and need to downshift. Below 55 and above 65 the vibration is gone and it runs smoothly. It does it with the O/D on or off, but goes away when you let off the gas. The dealer has assured me he will get it fixed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Does anyone have contacts at Workhorse that I could speak to directly? This is beautiful rig, this problem really tarnishes the joy of owning it.
Best Regards!

Paul D
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U Workhorse Chassis
AKA "R SANITY"

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I picked up my new 2003 Winnebage 35U on the W22 Chassis. The dealer changed out all the tires(still vibrates), had the Workhorse repair center look it over (couldn't find anything wrong) and it was sent to a truck driveline specialty shop who balanced the entire driveshaft. I took it on a 100 mile run, it has not been fixed. Vibrates right at 55-65 mph, feels just like a standard transmission vehicle when you stat to lug the engine and need to downshift. Below 55 and above 65 the vibration is gone and it runs smoothly. It does it with the O/D on or off, but goes away when you let off the gas. The dealer has assured me he will get it fixed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Does anyone have contacts at Workhorse that I could speak to directly? This is beautiful rig, this problem really tarnishes the joy of owning it.
Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 11-25-2002, 08:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Paul, I experienced the same problem with my 02 Adventurer 32V. It satrted at 61 MPH and ended about 65 MPH. Mine is a vibration in the floor, steering wheel etc. It also produced a low humming/grinding noise.

Took it in the shop the first time, said everything OK. Not to me. Took it back and someone from WCC came out to look at it. Bear with me I am not mechanical. WCC said the pins or something in the rear differential were not properly aligned. I am assuming with the drive shaft. Had to order new parts although I don't know exectly what yet. It's getting repaired as I write this along with a few other items.

I should get it back tomorrow. I will get specifics for you about cause and parts ordered etc.

Ken

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

07 Beaver Contessa (40 Pacifica)
mayahuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ken,
Thanks for your reply, it sounds exaclty like my rig's problem. I know, like you, when something is not right. Glad you didn't take "No" for an answer. I'd appreciate you letting me know exacltly what they did to correct your vibration so I can request they check for the same condition on mine. The Adventurer is a beautiful rig, but they cost too much money to be annoyed by a vibration.
Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 11-25-2002, 04:25 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Snipe:
Does anyone have contacts at Workhorse that I could speak to directly?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have plenty of resources for WCC information and problem resolution. I believe that you are on track right now and are pursuing the right course of action.

Workhorse is all about customer satisfaction and they will resolve this issue for you. It's unfortunate that this problem had to occur to your coach interrupting your new owner experience. I'm sure that all will be well that ends well. Please keep us informed of your progress as you work through this problem

Workhorse factory representatives will not ever give you a "No" when it comes to resolving your problem. It may feel that it takes time to resolve an issue but they will get it right.

01 Winnebago/Workhorse Model 37G/W20 Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"
8 8
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks DriVer for your support! The good things that I read about Workhorse that you and others posted convinced me to hold out for a Workhorse. I'm confident they will find the problem and clear it up. That'll give me an even bigger grin driving down the long, lonesome highway.
Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 12-03-2002, 06:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Paul, sorry I haven't got back to you. I don't get the coach back until Friday. They are also replacing the brake pump booster because of a high pitched squeal. It seems WCC is very slow on parts delivery. Oh well, it gives them a chance to do the repairs where the technician ran it into a wall. But thats another story.

I promise an answer as soon as I have one, hopefully by the weekend.

Ken

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 12-05-2002, 10:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ken,
Thanks. I, too have the high pitched squel from my brake system as well. I did take deleivery of my Adventurer and drove about 1k miles over the Thanksgiving Holiday. The vibration is still there, no better, no worse. Have an appointment with the dealer for the 17th to fix a couple of minor things and re-address the vibration. I could live with it if it wasn't right at 55-65 mph. I did play around and can say with certainty that it is not rpm or gear related, ie, not an engine problem. I appreciate your help. I'm wondering what the build date on your Workhorse chassis is compared to mine.
Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 12-08-2002, 08:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Paul, just got my coach back Friday. Re the vibration. They put in a new rear differential consisting of the carrier ring and pinion gears (said mine were'nt properly aligned). I only drove it home from the shop (28 miles). It's much much better but not perfect. I must keep reminding my self its a motorhome and not my wife's Cadillac.

PS> I get accused of being out of line quite frequently. LOL

Also regarding the squeel in the brake pedal. It's some sort of vacuum leak. When I am parked I can change the pitch and tone by changing my foot pressure on the brake pedal. This I found to be really annoying. They are going to replace the Hydro Booster as soon as WCC sends the part.

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 12-11-2002, 11:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I sure am glad I can't afford a new motor home, all I hear is the problems everyone has the first couple of years. Sure is not like most new cars, you buy a car and most of the time you never see the dealer again. I really think it takes about two years and about 30,000 mile to get the bugs out of most motor homes and then they go for a long time if you take care of them.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:39 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Sam:
I really think it takes about two years and about 30,000 mile to get the bugs out of most motor homes and then they go for a long time if you take care of them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes sir I see it exactly the way you posted it.

No sooner that I got my fifth wheel in perfect operating condition - we traded it. My current motorhome is still in need of tweaking so I know it's not time to get rid of it just yet.

<font color=blue>01 Winnebago 37G/Workhorse W20 "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>
8 8

[This message was edited by DriVer on December 13, 2002 at 06:47 AM.]
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Paul,
It's probably of little consolation to you, but the workhorse 22 will be GREAT once they get the problem located and fixed. Linda and I just returned from taking ours out to Nevada and back to Florida last week, about a 4,500 mile trip. It drove and performed flawlessly. We are both very pleased with our choice, as the ADventurer is a great coach.

I'm sorry that you're having problems with yours, but it is worth the hassle of getting it fixed. I wouldn't trade ours for the world. I hope this is some small encouragement for you, that you made a good decision.

Sincerely,
Verne and Linda

'03 Adventurer 35u, Workhorse 22, 8.1 Vortec, Allison Tranny, '00 Honda Insight Toad.

www.MagicMax.com

Verne and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 04:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ken,
Sorry I ddn't get back to you sooner, spent the last week in Moscow freezing to death! (Business) Your differential repair is exactly what I think is wrong with mine. I have an appointement to take in back in on Tuesday, 17 December and I am going to insist they examine the differential. I appreciate your help, I'll let you know how it turns out. And yes, I know it is not a Caddy, but it has to work better than it does now.

Vern,
I know I made the right choice, other than the driveline problem, the rig is terrific. We looked at the Adventurer/Workhorse for a long time, compared it to many others and decided it was the best unit for us. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 12-15-2002, 09:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

From what you say, it sounds like you could be experiencing a differential problem. A good competent mechanic should be able to remove the gears and start from scratch, and re-align them in a day. Sometimes there is some scoring or bad spots on the pinion or the ring gears, and they might need to be replaced. Might also be a pinion bearing problem, but most likely you would hear that all of the time, not just 55-60 mph. Good luck, no doubt in my mind that the Workhorse is the best chassis on the market.

Greg & Lynn Burch
Summer the Golden Retriever and Ginger the Psycho Spaniel
'03 33V Suncruiser
2002 Jeep Toad
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 06:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DriVer:My current motorhome is still in need of tweaking so I know it's not time to get rid of it just yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ayup, tweaking is half the fun

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Snow Covered Frozen Connecticut Woods
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR
Old 12-18-2002, 11:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Well, I was taking in my rig to drop it off at the dealers to have the differential checked out and I got "T" Boned in the right side by a car driving with no lights on. Looks to be over $8K in damages to my new 35U, just made the first payment. Fortunately no one was injured and now the insurance companies get to fight it out. The driveline vibration problem is on hold. Took a hit to the right side compartment just behind the right front wheel, flattened the hotwater heater, bent the tie rod and rim, crushed the compartment in, then the car spun and its back end hit my right side behind the rear wheel, taking out the wheel well trim and the propane tank door (yes the tank was off, but it was not touched). Guess this is a case of if I didn't have bad luck...
Best (if somewhat dinged) Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 12-22-2002, 10:33 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Ken I just read about the squeal from you brak booster. We bought our new Bounder on a w-22 and when you apply the brakes you can hear this loud squeal. I have been in touch with Workhorse and our local dealer. They have said they all do it. Not true. I drove two other Bounders with no noise. So has Workhorse admitted to you about the booster squeal and how much of a problem was it to get them to replace it.

Thanks, Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Sair:
Paul, sorry I haven't got back to you. I don't get the coach back until Friday. They are also replacing the brake pump booster because of a high pitched squeal. It seems WCC is very slow on parts delivery. Oh well, it gives them a chance to do the repairs where the technician ran it into a wall. But thats another story.

I promise an answer as soon as I have one, hopefully by the weekend.

Ken

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Father Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:53 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Yes, WCC admits to the brake booster squeal. Parts are on order. Just waiting to hear from the repair center that the part is in. Your right, all of them can't be like this. Maybe people aren't complaining. For the money I spent I can be real picky. Other than that, love the Workhorse chassis.

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 01-24-2003, 08:13 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I too have the brake squeal in my '03 Adventurer on the W-20 chassis. Like Ken said, when stopped at a traffic light I can change the pitch and volume of the squeal by the amount of pressure I apply to the pedal.

Questions:
1) Have you guys been working directly with Workhorse, or through your local dealer who services Workhorse?
2) Does the problem compromise the functioning of the brakes? I haven't noticed any problems stopping, but I haven't really had to do much serious braking.
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 04:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Paul
I had the same problem around 60 mph. Took it to the Workhorse center in Jax, Cummins Southeast. They couldn`t find the cause so they took it to the tire people. The tire people found it had a bent rim, front left. A rim was order and this fixed my problem. My has 22.5 in wheels.Seems they can`t make them fast enough, so this may be how a bent one could get by. What bothered me is someone drove it all the way from Iowa and it wasn`t fixed before being deliveried to me.

Ronnie&Connie 2003 Itasca SuncruiserW22on22.5s(big momma)2001VW Beetle(sunny)
ronconp is offline   Reply With Quote