Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winterizing/De-Winterizing

We just purchased a 2002 Journey DL 36GD. It was already winterized when we brought it home. The guy we bought it from had only used it since Sept 17 and wasn't very knowledgeable of the coach. Had to sell due to health issue, so he wasn't any help with my question. I've searched online and on the Winnebago website as well as going through the Op's manual and have not come up with good instructional info on de-winterizing with the auto winterizing option on the coach. Has anyone seen any videos available that shows step by step how to de-winterize? We only have 1 RV shop close to us and I'm sure when we're ready to do this in late March, they will be covered up. I would like to do it myself.
rhigg1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm kinda in the same boat. I bought this unit November and fumbled thru the winterize, and I will have to go thru the de winterize process, and hope to not find leaks. There are so many valves to deal with and it was cold when I did it
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We've had our Journey for many years now and to winterize we simply drain the pipes and then blow them out. There is a "Winterize Switch" that when lit bypasses the water heater. I then pull the plug and drain that manually. Also pour pink stuff down drains. If you have a washer/dryer you have to winterize that separately.

In the spring, or when we go south, I simply hook up the water, or fill the tank, and then run all the faucets and look for leaks under the MH. Dewinderizing is just that easy. So far we have never had a leak in this coach.

One thing I forgot is the ice maker. It has to be disconnected from the fridge in the back to Winterize and be sure to get it hooked up again prior to turning the water back on.

I do not use the pink stuff in the lines as I hate the taste and it isn't that easy to get the taste out.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

One other thing, when you start the water running again it will take a while to fill the water heater, so run all the other faucets first and then turn on the hot water and wait until water fills it and comes out of the faucets.

DO NOT TURN ON THE WATER HEATER EITHER GAS OR ELECTRIC until the heater is full of water. They will over heat and the electric will burn out quite quickly.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Great thanks. I just found out last night the former owner had Camping Work winterize it using anti-freeze. I guess I'll have to flush it out as best I can, then next winter use air to blow the lines out as you suggest.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There is a more expensive pink stuff that doesn't taste quite as bad. Perhaps they used that. Otherwise there are folks on here who have formulas using vinegar to undo the taste. You'd have to search them out.

On our last coach I would pump the lines full of the cheapest vodka I could get. Worked great, no taste, sanitized, and didn't freeze.

But that's just me.

Otherwise don't drink or cook with the water, drink beer.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Maybe we could winterize with cheap beer
Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Now that's the best idea I've heard yet. Being from Ky, I'll pump them full of bourbon
Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It's worth the effort to learn how to do yourself. Saves the hassle of 2 trips to a dealer annually. We use the antifreeze method with good results. Be sure to remove ALL foodstuffs and clean everything. Inflate tires to 80. Turn off coach battery.we have inside storage worth the cost.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter