Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have recently returned from a trip with the MH. On our way home we were driving in rain. I had the windshield wipers on delay or intermittent. At one point the wipers stalled in the middle. After turning the switch off and then back on the wipers started to work again however now when turned off the wipers stay outward and do not go to the normal home position. Does anyone know what the problem is or have a solution? I suspect the problem is in the delay circuit. Is there a separate delay module or is the delay circuit internal to the wiper motor? I have a 2000 Adventurer on a Ford chassis.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have recently returned from a trip with the MH. On our way home we were driving in rain. I had the windshield wipers on delay or intermittent. At one point the wipers stalled in the middle. After turning the switch off and then back on the wipers started to work again however now when turned off the wipers stay outward and do not go to the normal home position. Does anyone know what the problem is or have a solution? I suspect the problem is in the delay circuit. Is there a separate delay module or is the delay circuit internal to the wiper motor? I have a 2000 Adventurer on a Ford chassis.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The nuts hold the wiper mechanism to the dash cowl may have turned. Thus the parking would not be in the proper position. Check the nuts on the shafts coming through the fiberglass cowl.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I had the exact problem last spring with mine. It was the nut that holds the linkage to the wiper motor. Just above the hood in the center of your motor home. Remove the nut, move the linkage to the proper position and retighten the nut. Everything works fine now. You should be able to find a drawing of the affected area in the Winnebago parts catalog for your motor home on the Winnebago site. Once you open the hood and look, it will be quite clear what you are looking for.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When I had that problem, I also lost the intermittent portion of the wipers. Had to replace the wiper motor ($90).
Old 10-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #6

This happened to us twice. The wipers just stalled in the outward position. After we "fiddled and fooled" with them....I checked the fuse. When all else fails, I check the fuse. Well, I took it out and put it back in and "ta da" the wipers started working again. I hope yours are as easy to fix as ours were.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #7

Another thing...Ours also worked the first time when we turned them off and on, but then stalled. It seems the little clips that the fuse connects with had become stretched so the contact was hit and miss. Our son in law is an ET in the Navy and he took a paper clip and squeezed them together enough to make the fuse fit tighter. I asked him if they taught him that in ET school...he said "yes they did! "
Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenda1908:
This happened to us twice. The wipers just stalled in the outward position. After we "fiddled and fooled" with them....I checked the fuse. When all else fails, I check the fuse. Well, I took it out and put it back in and "ta da" the wipers started working again. I hope yours are as easy to fix as ours were. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lou would certainly be proud of you!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #9

Funny you should say that. When I told Lou about this problem with the wipers he suggested the "paper clip" fix, but before I could be the hero : , our son in law said, " I just took a paper clip and tightened the connections". Darn !
Old 10-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Tom Kazoo
You hit the nail on the head. Just as you said, once I took a look I found that is exactly what had happened, the nut was loose I readjusted everything and tightened the nut and now the wipers appear to be working just fine. However it still needs some attention as the nut and stud rub on the linkage.

Tom N
I had that same problem happen earlier in the summer except the affected wiper would just flop around.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
I'm a happy camper again.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #11

When our coach was new, the wipers in the off position kept within about 4" from the center. Over time, they began to stop about 6" away from the center, and the blades were cocked a bit to the right (from an outside view of the coach).

I delayed taking them off believing it would be a problem getting them properly re-adjusted. But, yesterday I removed both and got them back in the proper position with little difficulty. The biggest adjustment was made using the two screws on the smaller of each arm. Making that adjustment returned the blades to a true vertical position.

There does not seem to be any slack or even a way to adjust anything under the hood at the wiper motor.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Glad you found the fix, and glad I could help. And just think of the $$ you didn't have to pay some tech to trouble shoot the problem. Sometimes the simplist fixes are the most gratifying.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote