Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

winshield removed and rust repaired

So who has had their winshield removed and the frame repaired, who did the job and are you satified? thanks
My is rusted bad.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Both of my windshields cracked at the metal rest near the center post. Looks like rust inside the rubber "bumpers" caused them to swell and push up and cause them to crack.
The major rust was at these two points although there was some rust on the outside rest.
Windshield Solutions in Phoenix, AZ did mine. I watched the tech and he did a good job of cleaning up the rust, done some rust prevention and primed the frame.

When I asked would this happen again, he just smiled. So I expect sometime in the future, they will crack again.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you're going to be anywhere near west central Florida anytime soon, I highly recommend D & K Enterprises of Clearwater, FL. (727-442-2767)

They replaced my driver side windshield 2 years ago and repaired lots of rust damage. Their work was excellent. They will come to you. I live about 120 south of Clearwater and there was no extra charge for their travel.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've had my passenger side glass replaced due to rust/cracking. I had it done at a local trusted auto body shop that has been expanding into RV collision repair. He worked with the local Guardian glass shop.

They removed the old glass, treated the rust with either SEM Rust Mort or Rust Seal, painted the metal, installed new glass. Total cost was about $1,000. I am waiting for the driver's side to go.....know it will, just a matter of when.

There was a lot of rust along the top and center of the frame and at both of the metal tabs at the bottom that hold the glass.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 5'er but have been following the thread about rust in the Winnebago Class A's. Is this a theme with all Class A's?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I have a 5'er but have been following the thread about rust in the Winnebago Class A's. Is this a theme with all Class A's?
Class A's that have the windshields set directly into fiberglass obviously don't have the issue. I do know this is a fairly common issue (or at least frequently reported on various RV forums) for Winnebago class A's. I am not sure about other brands.

I will say I don't recall reading about this particular issue on either the Newmar or Tiffen forums.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I recently bought a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V. All glass is clear, no cracks or clouding.

So, is my unit one of those that has the potential for rust in the windshield frame?

My unit was well taken care of and was kept under a shelter when not used.

What do you look for?
Do you have to remove the "rubber" trim around the windshield to check for this?
If so, how do you do this?

Thanks for time and reply.
Regards,
Paul
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My previous motorhome was an 06 Journey that had no outward evidence of rust around the windshield, however after reading posts about the issue I pulled the rubber moulding around the windshield and found the entire lower section rusted so badly that there were holes through it ( I could see the generator through the holes) but the area directly touching the windshield was intact. I carefully scraped and sanded the affected areas and liberally coated the entire metal surface around the windshield with Chassis Saver that I purchased from a local body supply shop. The holes that remained (the Chassis Saver filled in most) I filled with silicone. After two years there was no evidence of additional rust.

It appeared to me that the rubber moulding around the windshield was retaining water which is what caused that area to rust. If your motorhome is like mine, they tuck the center moulding under the lower moulding leaving a good place for the water to enter. I suggest if you do remove the rubber to check, when replacing the center piece, cut it to touch the lower rubber and do not tuck it under reducing the amount of water to enter the channel below. I also applied a very light bead of silicone around the top edge of the lower moulding to also help shed water before it gets behind the moulding.

For information, my motorhome was parked under roof when not being used also.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Excellent information. I've always noticed on mine (2004 Meridian) that the center moulding causes the lower rubber trim to bulge out right in the center but didn't know I could just trim off the center rubber so it didn't fit under the lower trim. One of my windshields was replace in Forest City several years ago due to a crack that started down in the lower corner and they had to repair lots of rust. Should have taken that as a hint and looked at the other side at that time.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust