Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Angry Winnie won't start

Hello, I have a '99 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage that will not start. Turn the key, and the starter does not crank. I crawled under to check the starter and was able to jump across the ignition wire screw to the positive side of the starter, and the engine fired up no problem. With a test light and someone turning the key, I found their is no power getting to the ignition wire at the starter. I also noticed the push button shift display is blank ie. no power? It has an Allison 3060 with 6spd auto. I called the Allision Dealer who just rebuilt the transmission, and they said electrical problem, not under warranty, and probably will not be able to drive to a repair center since I will not be able to shift gears. ;-(

Allision suggested tracing the power from the key ( I check and we do get power in all positions on the key) to the WTEC control module. I look all over under the dash and the front and cannot find anything with Allision labeled WTEC. the cable from the shift control run under the dash, through the floor, and into the ratsnest of wires near the front.

Any suggestions on where I can find the WTEC module, I have not crawled under the entire frame yet, 38ft is a lot to search? Or, any suggestion on what else may be the cause of the blank shifter display? How/where does the WTEC get its power?

Thank in advance....Bill
billmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Bill- if you go to the Winnebago Forum page here on iRV2, and scroll down thru the first several posts that are marked "Sticky" (cuz they stick at the top of the posting list) you will find one that will lead you to Winnebago wiring diagrams. They have the 99 Advantage 38' diagrams there. They look to be schematics, not routing diagrams, but that should get you farther than you are.
I always thought WTEC referred to the push button shift pad assembly itself, I'm not aware of a separate module, tho that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

This link may help. They have diagnostic diagrams at the bottom of the page. It could be your xmission people may have issues as they would have had to fool with this when they did your work.

JMTCW
ed

http://www.tpub.com/content/trucks5t...6-34-1_631.htm
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

winne won't start

Bill,,On most winne DP's there is a start solonoid in the rear passenger side frame rail which recieves 12v from the ignition switch...Once it gets the 12v, it activates the solenoid to energize the starter solenoid on the starter....I have run a seperate wire from the ignition, thru a simple toggle switch on the dash, directly to the starter....Turn the ignition switch to "run" , flip the toggle on till it starts and you are good to go....Not sure how this is related to the Allison pad....I would pull the pad and check for a loose ground or power wire and then look at all the connections plugged into the Allison.....Sounds like 2 seperate problems to me....good luck....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

OK...thanks for all the advice. I will run down the jacks and crawl under this weekend and let you know what I find. I will also work backward from the ignition cable on the starter to see where it goes. Its going to be 98 degrees for the weekend, so should be a fun time.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Bill,

I was persuing the ETEC Module idea as there may be a lock-out between it and the starter solenoid preventing the first solenoid from closing. Just a thought?

Good luck under the rig. Atleast, you will be in the shade. ;-)
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just a thought...I would take a look (literally...visual inspection) at the ignition switch. I had the same symptoms and mine was burnt up.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hello Again...Just cleaning up my email for the year and realized i did not complete my post and the resolution for future readers.

After crawling under the entire frame "in the shade", I did find the starting solonoid on the rear passenger side frame, near the rear wheel. Very bad spot, and hard to reach. I was able to start the coach by crossing the solonoid with a screwdriver, after a few sparks it started. After finally giving-up my trouble-shooting, a $500 towing charge to a repair shop, turns out the cable from the ETEC Module on the dash to the transmission was shorted out. I did not pay the mechanic by the hour to chase down the 30-40' cable to find the problem, and just had a new cable made and installed.

Over $2K later and the display is now on and the coach started like normal.