Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Any evidence that Winne reads this forum? I ask because folks here generally like their Winnie product and generally offer constructive criticism. Most agree that Winnie makes a great product, provides excellent documentation and their folks on the phones are great. I have not a single item to be fixed on a new coach that we've put almost a thousand miles on. We bought this one because we were so happy with our Itasca.

Yet, some things persist across model years, Examples include:

CB wiring: had a heck of a time finding it on my 2001 and can't find it on my 2008. I know they don't include the antenna anymore but Winnie folks tell me the 12V is there. Yet, over the years, there is thread after thread re finding the CB wiring. It would cost nothing to tie the wire in an obvious, yet out of the way place.

Barrel chair: haven't read any posts praising them.

Fogged dual pane windows: my 2001 had them and my dealer has some on brand new units (and I know that other manufacturers have the same problem).

I'm forgetting other examples. It would be nice to know that someone there reads these and the comments are considered when making mods.

Just wondering. Steve
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Any evidence that Winne reads this forum? I ask because folks here generally like their Winnie product and generally offer constructive criticism. Most agree that Winnie makes a great product, provides excellent documentation and their folks on the phones are great. I have not a single item to be fixed on a new coach that we've put almost a thousand miles on. We bought this one because we were so happy with our Itasca.

Yet, some things persist across model years, Examples include:

CB wiring: had a heck of a time finding it on my 2001 and can't find it on my 2008. I know they don't include the antenna anymore but Winnie folks tell me the 12V is there. Yet, over the years, there is thread after thread re finding the CB wiring. It would cost nothing to tie the wire in an obvious, yet out of the way place.

Barrel chair: haven't read any posts praising them.

Fogged dual pane windows: my 2001 had them and my dealer has some on brand new units (and I know that other manufacturers have the same problem).

I'm forgetting other examples. It would be nice to know that someone there reads these and the comments are considered when making mods.

Just wondering. Steve
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Any evidence that Winne reads this forum? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Winnebago monitors this forum.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Tom. Good news. I'd like to be able provide feedback, as a user, on tweeks that would make a great product even better without appearing to be a flamer/troll/griper. I've been involved with testing in the military and know that user "testing" (called Operational Testing in the military) is where you find things that an engineer would never think of.

Examples:

It makes sense, from an engineering point of view, to put the water pump near the source. But, when a spouse gets up and flushes the toilet at 0200 (2AM), the pump under the bed wakes up the dead.

The Jensen TV in the 35J is neat and I could like it. But, it is too small. But worse, its viewing angle is very narrow and when observed from the infamous barrel chair, it is unwatchable on many programs...looks like a color film negative.

Kudos for putting in a jack in the utility compartment for a portable satellite antenna. But, the advent of DVRs capable of recording 1 and watching another makes dual LNB's/dual RG6, necessary. This costs peanuts when assembling but difficult later.

And, my favorite: put the 12v wiring for the CB (whick I will use for GPS/Laptop/etc) in an easily findable place. This costs nothing!

Again, we love our 35J and would buy it again. NO buyers remorse. It is a fine product. From reading posts here and the other forum, I expected some issues after delivery but we've had none.

Steve
Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I totally agree about the dual pane windows. I have had 3 replaced on my 2005 Horizon. One that was replaced only lasted less than two weeks before its seal was gone again. Several other Winne owners have had the same problem. I think Winne and others should look for alternatives to Atwood where they are made. Atwood representatives could take some lessons on customer service as well.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Winnie reads them but I beleive thats where it stops. The same problems continue over and over with the customer left to resolve them at his own expense. This is not a Winnie bash but a Winnie criticism.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Maybe they should look into making their own windows. They have the capco for the frames, all they would need would be a glass division and assembly.

I realize they are manpower tapped out in Forest City, but maybe another town like they do the woodworking.

I have 4 windows that are bad, but don't know if I want to spend $1,000 for something that might fail in another year. I feel I would rather pay for quality and not have to worry about fixing things all the time.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mine is a 99 Suncruiser, and in 2007 they are still having the same problem.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The only windows I really see problems with, and this is accross all brands not just Winnebago, is the front side glass in the cab area not the crank outs or sliders in the house area.

I was in the architectural millwork business for some years and it was SOP to have arched, paladian or triangular thermopane glass made up to match custom frames. So any local glass shop should be able to provide/order a custom thermopane replacement for these.

This type of glass however is prone to fogging regardless of the source. Even residential windows with lifetime warranties will many/most times exclude fogging from coverage.

I live in Florida and the replacement of drivers compartment glass is covered by our motor vehicle insurance for breakage and obscurity.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
Winnie reads them but I beleive thats where it stops. The same problems continue over and over with the customer left to resolve them at his own expense. This is not a Winnie bash but a Winnie criticism. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to weigh in on this comment as this is simply NOT true.
I've been privy to many instances whereby a representative of Winnebago has contacted someone through email or PM as a result of having read their issue on this forum.
I myself owned a Winnebago Vectra and was contacted by this representative several years ago when I posted an issue with the delayed delivery of my ordered unit.

While I'm sure not every issue can be handled in this manner, I do have personal knowledge that Winnebago reads and responds to folks on this forum.
Given the alternative, I think we should be thankful for what we have.

Thank you for your continued support of iRV2.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

A simple yes we do from Winnebago would help us/me believe!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I wish they would tell me where the CB power wires are . They are not where the manual says or where the nice chap on the phone said. Or, if they are, they sure are hid. (But love the 35J!!!) Steve
Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
A simple yes we do from Winnebago would help us/me believe! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're killin' me....

Would you want it to appear like a message from above on the forums, or like an "I could've had a V8" moment?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Just because Winnebago sponsors the site and their name is up in lights doesn't mean they monitor it!
Please, I stopped believing in Santa years ago!
Too much V8 will make you believe things that arn't really true or make you make wish they were...
Hey Your the Salesman

Enough said
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Ed, I personally invite you to PM iRV2 member "Bryan Funke" who just happens to be a lead service advisor for Winnebago Industries and the gentleman who I mentioned helped me back in 2006 with my coach issues.
He was further instrumental in getting me an appointment with CDI who does,(or at least did at that time) the full body paints for Winnebago, when I had clear coat issues.
As several iRV2 members will I'm sure attest, Bryan has also been active in the Tuesday night chat sessions here on iRV2 (9PM Eastern), where he takes his OWN time to stop in and try and answer some questions...

You Sir don't have to believe in Santa, or in anything I say as it's so easy for you to prove it for yourself....

Bryan's email is [email protected] and if you're having your doubts, why not drop him a line....
By the way, Bryan receives NOTHING from Winnebago OR me for his time here on the forums.

Sometimes even those things that are "too good to be true" are really true after all.

Again, I thank you sincerely for your continued suport of iRV2.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have to back up rebelsbeach's statement that Winnebago watches this site. I have been on several Winnebago Chats where Bryan was there answering questions. He is not the only Winnebago employee to participate either.

I would encourage Winnebago owners to pop in to the Winnebago Chat on Tuesday nights 9 PM ET. Winnebago folks drop in from time to time.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

It should become abundantly clear to Winnie, if they are reading these priceless post. ATWOOD should be dropped as a supplier. Or better yet force them to clean up their mistakes and really poor QC they have gotten away with for years. Many of us have paid out thousands correcting ATWOODS poor windows, water heaters,etc. The windows are a severe safety problem on the highway. The seal can go at any time. I also know of owners that had a second replacement set go bad with in a year or so.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Just to add to Rebelsbeach's comment, I can tell you first hand Bryan and Steve from Winnie both monitor this forum as well as other forums. Bryan has even quoted to me personally on the phone problems that posters have mentioned on these forums. Feel free to PM me and I will elaborate specific instances. Now, whether they take these comments concerning problems and do something about them is something you would have to ask them personally but off hand I would say they do. Here is why: On this forum dozens of comments were made regarding the front doors on DP needed some kind of door stop to catch the doors in the wind. Now, all 08 DP have a built in stop. That is just one example that came from input on forums like this. That is one example of several I am aware of. Hope that helps.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Lets keep one thing in mind; Bryan Funke is a great guy and an excellent facilitator for Winnebago. I have used his service many times and he has helped me a lot. For that I am thankful and appreciative. In the corporate world the decisions on suppliers and designs are made by top management. Low bidders, personal relationships, intermingled board of directors, on and on, come into play. How much longer do people have to complain about the QC of ATWOOD products before a change or improvement is made by Winnebago? Some of these complaints go back to the mid 90's and are still with the RV industry today. It's not just Winnebago, by the way, but that is what I happily own, except for defective windows.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

This has been a very educational and encouraging thread. As a recently retired Director of Customer Support for Hewlett-Packard I know first hand the lengths that corporations will go to gather the type of customer feedback which is contained (for free) on this forum. I certainly hope that both are recognized and rewarded by their management teams for going the extra mile to keep their fingers on the pulse of their customers.

It seems to me that Winnie is missing the boat by not formalizing this link with their customers and marketing the heck out of it to differintiate themselves from their compitetion. They wouldn't need to promise to address every issue raised but a closed loop of communication on the top issues raised, what is being done about them, etc. would make us all willing to march through fire to do business with them. Said another way, regular, "official" responses and feedback from Winnie might make most of the complaints in this thread moot and all of us even more loyal.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote