Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A few weeks ago crossing NM on I-40 I ran over a deer. The only damage was the loss of my rear Winnebago mud flap. It was torn off and went under the Jeep. IMO it was beyond repair, so I left it with the deer...

Where and how much is it going to cost to replace it. Then too, I am have second thoughts about replacing it. Anyone run without a rear mud flap on their DP?

2004 Journey DP
1998 Jeep Cherokee

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

A few weeks ago crossing NM on I-40 I ran over a deer. The only damage was the loss of my rear Winnebago mud flap. It was torn off and went under the Jeep. IMO it was beyond repair, so I left it with the deer...

Where and how much is it going to cost to replace it. Then too, I am have second thoughts about replacing it. Anyone run without a rear mud flap on their DP?

2004 Journey DP
1998 Jeep Cherokee

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 05-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'll be interested too in what kind of responses you get.

I've had several folks tell me that they took theirs off because it's been said that the toad gets more road rash from having the full-width mud guard in place than when having nothing there. I guess it's because of the wind turbulence or some such reasoning.

I know that I don't use a shield of any kind and my toad shows it with a lot of road rash on the front end and a heavily pitted windshield. I've often wondered if it would be better to run without it.

Just before I bought my unit, I was looking at another Journey that didn't have one. I told the salesman that I thought it would be a good idea to have one and he said if I did want them to put one on, don't go with the Winnebago monogrammed one because you can get almost the same type in the aftermarket that would cost less than half the price that Winnebago charges for the OEM model.

Plus, it's free advertising for Winnebago on top of the more expensive price they charge for it.

From my recollection, the Winnebago one was about $425 and the aftermarket one was $195.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have towed both ways and with similar coaches, both DP's. I have not noticed any difference what so ever to my toad. Not sure how scientific my experience is but take it for what it is worth. I prefer the Mudflap across the back just because I think it does help keep dirt and what not off the back of the coach not the toad.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #5

Why replace it? There are lots of posts about damage to toads with these full length gravel kickers.....you ever drive your car behind a motorhome with these things on it?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We use the Blue Ox shield on our tow bar. It is easy to install and makes a big, big difference in the way the front of the car looks. No damage of any kind in the year (11,000 miles) we have been towing the Saturn. We also have the factory mud flap. I don't want to pull without either one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Saturn makes a bonnet for the front of the car.
I have used one since 04, with a guard on My Diesel and I have no guard on my Adventurer. I do see a difference on a rainy day...
Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We bought the large Ultraguard and cut it in half. Ended up with two for less than 70.00 for the pair.

Does it provide any protection? Don't know. I am amazed at the beating the toad takes back there. If we did it again, think we would do the skirt thing.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The debris that those duals kick up is amazing. I have mud flaps on the duals and the large flap across the back end. The location of the large mud flap on the back can also make a difference. When the flap is on the very end of the vehicle it seems to block less debris as opposed to being closer to the tires. I believe the more protection from flying road debris the bettter.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

From everything I have read about people removing them due to damage on gravel roads, etc, I don't believe I would pay much to replace mine. I do believe that the closer to the road it hangs, the more damage it will cause to the toad due to "sweeping" debris/sand/etc up off the road surface.

I imagine we all have short mud flaps immediately behind the rear tires. We also use a Blue Ox "Kargard" shield. Those also can cause unintended damage from rocks bouncing off the shield into the rear of the coach. I guess we can choose where we want our damage to come from!!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I believe that there are more factors involved than just with or without a full width flap. I do agree that it should not drag the surface and that it should be as close to the rear wheels as possible. That said I have the factory flap on my DP and after pulling my 2004 CR-V over 40,000 have zero damage on any kind on the car. However, I do believe that my experience is helped by the lower body cladding on the front of the auto. That is one reason I got the car.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The position of the Ultra Guard is very important to its effectiveness. I have mine about two feet aft of the duals, which also have mud guards. It has worked very well so far. The mounting instructions tell you how close to the road it should be for optimum protection. Going on 7 years now and no damage to toad. When I used a bra I had big time damage.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Guys,

I want to thank you for your imput. I think that for now I am going to replace it with an UltraGuard from Camping World. $89 for one thats 16". $99 for a 20". I am going to have to find a Winne so I can measure to see which one to buy. Again Thanks.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 05-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

my Question has allways been, does that rear flap help to push the air up to the radiator, helping to cool?
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Randy, I don't know the answer to that.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am going to have to find a Winne so I can measure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't want to find "a Winne" to measure -- you want to measure YOUR Winne at the point of attachment from metal to the ground while at full ride height, then allow for how much whatever method of atatchment will hang it below the metal, plus how much space you need between the guard and the ground (several inches as I recall, like six or seven? -- can anyone tell us the recommended height off the pavement?).
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am going to have to find a Winne so I can measure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't want to find "a Winne" to measure -- you want to measure YOUR Winne at the point of attachment from metal to the ground while at full ride height, then allow for how much whatever method of atatchment will hang it below the metal, plus how much space you need between the guard and the ground (several inches as I recall, like six or seven? -- can anyone tell us the recommended height off the pavement?). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Camping Worlds Web Site:

Rock Solid and Ultra Guard - Measuring Instructions: Measure from bumper to ground and subtract 4" to determine correct height.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

AF CHAP: My Ultra Guard instructions said from full ride height (on flat level surface), 4 inches from bottom of guard to ground surface.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
The position of the Ultra Guard is very important to its effectiveness. I have mine about two feet aft of the duals, which also have mud guards. It has worked very well so far. The mounting instructions tell you how close to the road it should be for optimum protection. Going on 7 years now and no damage to toad. When I used a bra I had big time damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Homer, did you attach your UltraGuard in a different position than what Winnebago positions theirs when ordering a guard on a new coach?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I plan to install the new flap in the original position. This will be 36' from the rear of the Journey. Per Ultra Guard, it is suspose to be 4" off the ground. My thinking was that if I knew the depth/height of my origianl flap, I could cut the new one to that dimminson. I am parked under a RV port now and I am not able to raise the MH to road height.

1998 Jeep Cherokee