Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

SIROCCO22: Yes, I ran a piece of 3/4" box channel across the width of the coach. Bolted it to the existing body channels. Then used stainless bolts and nuts to bolt the Ultra Guard to the box channel.
I had to remove some of the top of the Ultra Guard to attain the clearance I needed at the bottom edge. I sandwiched that cut portion between two flat pieces of steel to retain rigidity and to bolt through to the box channel. This also controls some of the swing of the Ultra Guard.
When you install at the end of the overhang you need the swing. Where I have mine, I don't want much swing, just enough to clear high ground or grass. It's has been there 6 years now and no problems so far.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if I knew the depth/height of my origianl flap, I could cut the new one to that dimminson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Measuring one on a same model & year rig should put you in the ballpark. Just don't forget the gap between the flap & the coach where it is hung. On my Ultimate, there is a piece of metal much like angle iron across the bottom of the rig (apx 10" from the rear of the coach, apx 9' behind the rear edge of the rear tires). Long eye bolts through the angle iron are attached to what I call "chain links" which hold the guard. The height of the guard can be adjusted an inch or so by raising or lowering the eye bolt nuts on top of the angle iron. There is a second nut on the eye bolt on the bottom of the angle iron so the adjustment can be locked in place.

My guard is often on the ground after the air suspension dumps and levels. The guard has never had a problem getting caught or bent.