Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Winnebago Windshield in Houston

Had my first small leak today in heavy rain. Fear the dreaded Winnebago windshield. Any recommendations for a shop in Houston who knows how to deal with the issue?
Monfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Most any automotive glass replacement companies should be able to fix. You could also call your insurance company and get a referral glass company capable of doing the repair. just make sure the insurance company understands you are NOY making a claim. That being said many Winnies have a windshield problem. seems the steel frame that the window mounts to "rusts" sometimes this may be the cause of the leakage. Window has to be removed and replaced. glass companies will charge extra if the have to grind down the rust b-4 reinstalling your window. safe travels ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I used www.rvglasssolutions.com when I had our windshield replaced. They might be able to advise on sites they have used.

You didn't say where is was appearing, if at top I would double check the clearance lights.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

+1 for RV Glass Solutions. They were aware of the windshield frame rust issue and steered me toward a shop that did an awesome job of dealing with it.
Al
Old 10-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Do you know that it is the windshield frame leaking? I solved what first appeared to be a windshield leak, as a clearance light leaking. The water would get in behind the light, and run down inside the front cap, through the windshield pillar, and drip under the dashboard, on the carpet by the drivers left foot.

Solution was to remove all the front clearance lights, clean the back of the bases and the mounting are of the cap, run a bead of high quality adhesive/sealant around the back of the base, and re-install them. Then I ran another bead of caulk around the base.

May be worth a closer look.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
srh
Winnebago Camper

I had my windshield replaced by Complete Auto Glass Company. I saw a leak after on the driver side. I took the coach back Auto Glass shop and thought for sure that ithe leak was coming from around the windshield. After some testing, they discovered that the leak was actually coming from where the air horn was mounted through the roof which was about 30" behind the top of the windshield. So, it pays to check to make sure the leak is not somewhre else. A good auto glass shop will be able to help you. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I am thinking of buying an 08 Itasca Meridian...can someone tell me what is the "dreaded" leaking problems on Winnebagos...and a rusty frame problem...early models, or late models, a pervasive problem...anything helps...
ItascaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I remarked in your other post.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

/when we were looking to trade Mh's we were told that all Winnies have a windshield problem. Winnie builds a steel frame for safety. evidently the windshield mounts into at least part (bottom) of this frame. the steel rusts over time. It doesn't cause the leak but it could increase the chances of a leak. when glass company was working on replacing some fogged windows the glass man said we were lucky it wasn't AN Winnie due to the rust problem. What is the fix? if it was mine i'd remove the windshield if leaking. Have the rust ground down to bare metal and then coast the frame that I could reach with something like "Cold galvanizing" type paint. Unless the glass man recommended a better solution. Many Winnie owners I've spoke with have NEVER had a problem. But, then again some have had a windshield broke or damaged and then the windshield comes out for replacement the rust is discovered. Insurance will pay to replace the glass, they will N OT pay to fix the rust. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago