Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

After noticing a loss of cooling from the house air on our trip to the Pacific NW I checked the duct at the rear of the coach and found it was split in several places. I called Winnebago Customer Service and they required an estimate from a dealer. I took the coach 90 minutes away to Ben Davis RV in Auburn, IN who had hosted our two Winnebago clubs, the Indybagos and the Meanderers for a luncheon the last two years. I have used them for service once before and was very pleased with their work. They contacted Customer Service with an estimate and Winnebago is going to fix it even though the coach is an 04 with 26,000 miles. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with both Winnebago and Ben Davis. If I ever replace this coach it would be very difficult to buy any other brand and from any other dealer.

Dave
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

After noticing a loss of cooling from the house air on our trip to the Pacific NW I checked the duct at the rear of the coach and found it was split in several places. I called Winnebago Customer Service and they required an estimate from a dealer. I took the coach 90 minutes away to Ben Davis RV in Auburn, IN who had hosted our two Winnebago clubs, the Indybagos and the Meanderers for a luncheon the last two years. I have used them for service once before and was very pleased with their work. They contacted Customer Service with an estimate and Winnebago is going to fix it even though the coach is an 04 with 26,000 miles. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with both Winnebago and Ben Davis. If I ever replace this coach it would be very difficult to buy any other brand and from any other dealer.

Dave
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You just can't beat a dealer and a manufacturer that want to do the right thing and take good care of their customer.

Too bad more of them don't appreciate the value of this kind of relationship.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #4

DId they remove your rear cap for the duct repair? Did they replace the duct or repair? Was it the old style duct? Where had it split?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Frontrangerver,
They will have to remove the cap because it is split on the lower vertical run and has a suspicious bulge on the on the top verticlal run before it goes into the coach. They haven't decided yet whether to repair or replace, but will call me when they get it apart.
And, oh yeah, go Rockies, since the Cubs self-destructed.....

Dave
Old 10-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have to second the comments by John..Not to many folks "care" anymore..
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

IT'S BEEN A KNOWN PROBLEM FOR YEARS..
You would think that an Engineer could come up with how to build a better box??? Like maybe a crimp instead of tape?
Several people had theirs repaired because of the information on this site... me included. Think of the thousands of others who don't have a clue. I met someone in AZ who had a window A/C in their coach because the basement air couldn't or wouldn't cool the coach. They had it back to the dealer several times and they told him they couldn't find anything wrong! After a few minutes we looked under the cap and guess what? Blown out!

The dealer isn't going to take it upon themselves to correct it at a flat rate unless you find the problem, which leaves them no choice... That's life, Dealers and Makers who choose to be blind will never see!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just got the call from Mark at Ben Davis RV in
Auburn, IN. the coach is done and ready to go. Cost covered by Winnebago was $750 or so. I had them further insulate the duct with Reflectix which I paid for. Very satisfied with both the builder and the dealer.

Dave
Old 10-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #9

thanks for the updates Dave.

Please let us know what they did.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear Winnebago followed it through.

When the Dealer repaired mine they used the metal insulated tape and rapped the entire duct work from top to bottom twice and tripled the 90* coming out of the A/C unit... They also made very sure that the connection at the top and bottom were very tight and sealed correctly Winnebago paid the tab.
From what I was told, Winnebagos fix was to clean and replace the edge tape only... Huummmm!

Enjoy the way it should have been!

Long live Winnie!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The actual repair was to use pop-rivits at the corners. Mark described the corners of the plastic duct as overlapping which they riveted.

Dave
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

You'll be very happy you had the duct wrapped. Mine was made out of metal and taped on just one side to finish the box..
It did make one heck of a difference after the fix, like night and day!
Enjoy!