Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Did driver side last year, passenger side three years before that, both due to rust, both leaking on the dash and cracking the glass. Insurance covered all but the deductibles.

I tried to fix the driver side just after the passenger side repair by filling the gap at the top with black RTV silicone. Glass guy said it may have lasted longer if I had used the regular 3M urethane windshield sealant. He said the RTV will actually accelerate the rust issue.

Check this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/anot...em-200786.html
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Had my windshield replaced in January. They found rust, treated it, painted the treated areas and installed the new windshield. Don't know who paid, I sure didn't.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I know that the Winnebago windshield rust is an issue, but I have had two Winnebagos a 2005 33v and currently a 2007 38j adventurer both have had windshield area leaks I pulled the rubber trim along the top and sealed the gap. Still had leaks then I sealed around the running lights above the windshield and the leaking stopped. I still may have rust around the windshield, can't really tell, but for now it's not leaking so the rusting should at least slow down.
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Remove the rubber from the top of the windshield. You will notice a small space, between the glass and the metal frame. Clean this space as well as possible. Make sure area is dry. Buy a tube of 3M trim cement (Black). Carefully let it flow into the space. It will actually flow into the area that is leaking and seal the rest to keep water out and keep from further rusting.

I have done this on my last 2 coaches and stopped the leaks
The shops use urethane on the windshields, wouldn't that be better than the trim cement?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Leaking windshields on 05 Vectra. Looking for recommendations for a repair facility. We are currently in the southwest but will be heading east for summer so willing to travel. Winnebago wants about $2700 + for repair. Have had windshield glass & running lights re-sealed. Was leaking on both sides but right now leaking on passenger side. Someone recommended having it pressure tested. Any suggestions welcome.
Jaderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

The leak comes from the roof cap. If you look at you gutters you will see it overlap the roof. When it rains it flows under the cap and down the window. If you get a ladder and grab the edge it will pull up. Just pick up a tube of no self leveling sealant and put a little under the edge then put a clean edge on it and it will be fixed. 10$ and you are done. With the extra sealant do the rest of the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Sadly, all too common of a problem on Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes, for about a 10+ model year run. I wish every owner that has spent more than $500 in repairs (mine was close to $3k) would join forces by putting together a letter to Winnebago and everyone signs it.

I know Winnebago claims to not have any knowledge about this issue, but reading all the threads here just in iRV2 makes that seem petty false. -RT
Just how many Winnebago/Itasca owners have discovered this problem? I'd like a show of hands please. Unless water leaks are observed on the inside of the glass, glass cracks suddenly appear, or a rock ding prompts windshield removal, the problem can progress undetected for years and eventually leads to structural failure. I don't buy Winnebago's claim that they are not aware of the problem. It is FAR to common! Until enough folks join together with collective legal action, Winnebago will continue to claim no knowledge of the matter.

You can have a look at the photos of my recent discovery here.
Wayne (KQ6WG), Bonnie & Mariah (Rottweiler) - '06 Itasca Meridian 36G -Cummins 300HP/Allison 2000 SBW - Onan 7.5KW - '08 Honda CRV (toad) - M&G proportional brake system Last RV - Hans Christian 38T Cutter Rigged Sailboat - Homebase - Sun City West, AZ
wddogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

WINNEBAGO Windshield Rust

Thanks you for posting your experience. We are currently removing the windshield(both sides) due to cracking from rust. Doing it ourselves and boy is that fun! Once we get the old glass out, prep and paint the metal, the glass company will install the new windshields. Insurance will pay for the new glass but not the rust repair. Does anyone have suggestions as to what products to use as far as primer or paint? Whoever engineered this system at WINNEBAGO should be hung up from their thumbs. This has caused endless trouble to lots of Winnbago product owners. What a pain. Have a 2003 Itasca Horizon.
Joan Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I was thinking a stick on gutter strip an inch or so above the whole windshield would keep the condensation every morning, and rain water from getting under the top gasket. White wouldn't look bad either.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Extra sealant for windshield

When a windshield is to be replaced and the metal is properly cleaned and treated, them the glass is set in - In the space above the the glue seam at the top, between the glass and the metal, flow in a line of 3M trim cement to fill the gap. It will totally seal the area and keep water from accumulating.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:32 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Joan Austin,
POR 15 works well as a rust killing primer paint.
I got mine from Brazels RV in Centralia, WA.
Brazels is a sponsor of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Windshield Replacement

The rubber around the windshield is only a TRIM piece and offers no protection from water intrusion. A gutter type attachment above the windshield, or glueing the rubber trim strip will due no good.
The metal frame must be totally cleaned and etched. An auto body paint supplier might suggest a good primer. Duncan systems has replaced and repaired the frames for my windshields. They offer a guarantee not to leak again. I still added my 3M adhesive above their adhesive and "Knock on Wood" 3 plus years and no leaks
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Rust Under Windshield

Thank you everyone for your responses. We got the POR-15 three step system to clean, etch, and prime and paint the metal. The glass installers will be here in 4 days to install new windshields. So we will be hard at work prepping the rusted metal.
Joan Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

The times I have seen this it was water from the roof seams that had not been inspected and resealed properly which allowed water to get inside the gutters and run under the front cap. You do have to religiously keep up with the roof seam maintenance in order to prevent this. Many go to great lengths to caulk the windshield area missing that the water is coming from the seam between the roof and the cap or from the side seams and traveling to the front. You absolutely need to use the Winnebago specified urethane caulking when the roof seams are done.

Note that detailers who wash coach roofs with pressure washers are many times part of the problem as the pressure washers will break the seal at the roof seams so that water pours in which you may not notice until the windshield frame has rusted badly enough for rusty water to start dripping on the dash.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:54 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
The times I have seen this it was water from the roof seams that had not been inspected and resealed properly which allowed water to get inside the gutters and run under the front cap. You do have to religiously keep up with the roof seam maintenance in order to prevent this. Many go to great lengths to caulk the windshield area missing that the water is coming from the seam between the roof and the cap or from the side seams and traveling to the front. You absolutely need to use the Winnebago specified urethane caulking when the roof seams are done.

Note that detailers who wash coach roofs with pressure washers are many times part of the problem as the pressure washers will break the seal at the roof seams so that water pours in which you may not notice until the windshield frame has rusted badly enough for rusty water to start dripping on the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442231655.771920.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	106852

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Repair recommendation

Hello All,

We are on the road going South thru Oregon and this morning found that our windshield leaks. We are heading to the Mesa AZ area and would like to get it fixed. Can any of the members of the forum recommend a repair shop to pull the glass and repair the rust.

Thanks for your help.
Todd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd7 View Post
Hello All,

We are on the road going South thru Oregon and this morning found that our windshield leaks. We are heading to the Mesa AZ area and would like to get it fixed. Can any of the members of the forum recommend a repair shop to pull the glass and repair the rust.

Thanks for your help.
Don't be so sure you have a rusted windshield frame. Winnebago redesigned windshield mounting along the way, most likely with single-piece windshields. I highly doubt your leak on your 2012 coach is due to windshield frame rust.

The leak you are experiencing may be from several sources. Have a good RV repair center check it out for you before assuming you have to pull the windshield.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:12 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd7 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks for your help.
try duct tape across the top of the rubber trim piece to the glass. do both sides for an interim repair.
this worked on our Moho.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:22 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

2003 Winnebago Journey and yes when the teck was about to cut the damaged windshield out to replace them he saw what we can call a rust bucket and stopped the presses. We then took the rig to a friends body shop where they cut the glass out and repaired the rust and the glass man installed the new glass. In the process the trim clips that hold the rubber trim in place were shot/rusted off so he used 3M sealant to hold the trim in place. If Winnebago has no idea there is a problem here they need a check up from the neck up.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Don't be so sure you have a rusted windshield frame. Winnebago redesigned windshield mounting along the way, most likely with single-piece windshields. I highly doubt your leak on your 2012 coach is due to windshield frame rust.

The leak you are experiencing may be from several sources. Have a good RV repair center check it out for you before assuming you have to pull the windshield.

Hi Pusherman. Don't know if they completely solved the rust problem yet. Had to have my windshield replaced this past summer due to a crack and it was starting to rust already on a 2013 single piece. But you may be right about not being enough rust to cause a leak yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, winnebago