Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #61
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Not sure if I understand how a roof "flaps in the wind". Fellow with a similar name on another forum is constantly slamming Winnebago products. Wonder is this the same guy?

If not, my apologies in advance.
I have an 06 Itasca Sunova and in South Dakota in a 80mph cross wind my roof came loose and was flapping. Part of the fiberglass roof broke off. Insuance said maybe it’s covered. I’ll see what they say in a couple of days??
Solo lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #62
Winnebago Owner

Fiberglass sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo lady View Post
I have an 06 Itasca Sunova and in South Dakota in a 80mph cross wind my roof came loose and was flapping. Part of the fiberglass roof broke off. Insuance said maybe it’s covered. I’ll see what they say in a couple of days??

Sorry to hear about the roof. If the rep is having a happy day and nice, you may get the fix via the policy, but in many cases they just chalk it up to maintenance issue when actually its a minor detail that the design team did not do we.. as to the last step for a superior roof.

The fiberglass roof is a step in the correct direction over the flex membranes, but they botched the execution. Just my 2 cents in the current market not worth much due to the unstable illogical gyrations of the policies.

I ended up using EternaBond tape to secure the whole thing all around after stuffing back the pieces styro that flew off. Was able to collect each and every piece! They were very expensive to buy replacement so glued em together! and having em in pieces made it easier to push em back in.

Best of Luck
Old 08-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #63
Winnebago Camper

Hi, we are new to the group. Just bought a 2003 Adventurer 1 week ago. Drove in to register it and the husband said he saw something white and light flying over the motorhome as we drove along. He sort of chalked it up to road debris and drove on into town. Went back home and the next day he walked around the coach and noticed the roof was lifted out of the rail? Oh no! We drove back the 20 miles we had covered to see if we could find it. No such luck.

So now the problem is that P/N 12010710000 (the foam plug under the extrusion) is no longer available! So far not available at the after market dealers either. We are going to attempt the Eternabond Tape repair ourselves. Does anyone happen to have a spare piece of the styrofoam or know where we could order it from? Thanks for any suggestions from anyone. Gail and Cliff
gailannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #64
Winnebago Owner

foam gone

Hi, sorry to hear about the flapping bago, I know not funny but hey if we don't laugh we have to cry so might as well get a laugh in.

As to how to get a piece, if you can perhaps gingerly pull out a piece from under you can recreate it. If I recall correctly it actually a two or so piece sandwich, that could have had some adhesive put on during manufacturing, but I am not a corporate employee just an end user.

Any way if you can ferret or fish out a piece/pieces out from under there, you could recreat them from foam blocks for sure. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and you can get some carving practice in with the electric turkey knife. Yes that thing cuts foam you have to let it do the work not force it. Similarly if you need cushions it does that well too!

If a lot of pieces (large section) is/are gone you may build a jig with a hot wire.

Eterna bond, and please paint a no step/walk zone notice on your roof to remind you and others when you are not there.

BTW a manufacturing corporation employee on this forum states that after 7 yrs of so the manufacturer basically washes their hand of the pile of parts they put together, as it is they do not provide a unified one point of contact for the warranties which thank god our car companies are providing so far (except for tires and battery) that is, though Hyundai even stepped to replace tires for customers when the design was bad. They also warranty their cars bumper to bumper for 5 years and 10 yrs 100K for drive train as does Kia. More manufacturers should be made to do this and if the RV industry gets any where near there it will be ohsogood.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #65
Winnebago Master

I'm not familiar with that roof design, but I'm wondering if minimally expanding spray foam insulation might work in that application?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #66
Winnebago Owner

air space requirement in corner

The expanding foam if used in a home made mold would be good to replicate. A great idea indeed. I don't recall the design issues exactly but I do recall it being a multiple pieces of foam type set up (stacked and longitudinally as well!) yes it was ice box from the olden days type Styrofoam not flexible!

If my memory serves me correctly there was a need for "air gaps" for moisture management in that corner therefore those pieces, but its a but this bit is all foggy for me at this point.

Hey perhaps just fill the cavity with bean bag granules they have some larger ones available these days if I recall or are they smaller I dunno, but that could be a viable option as well I dunno!
Old 08-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #67
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone, We've been so busy with getting all the maintence, maintence and maintence done that comes with the territory when you buy a used 2003 motorhome. The first and only owner is a man that is 96 years young. He lives and had the motorhome stored pretty much out in the elements in central California. So that's the bad news.

The good news is we finally located the foam roof cove material we need! Fedex is on the way with it and we should have the order by next Wednesday. We search and searched ("Never give in, Never give up Club"). The motorhome is in Reno having the transmission fluid and all other fluids we haven't done yet taken care of as I write this. New front tires and alignment is complete. We'll be doing some more "white glove stuff" and roof repairs using the Eternabond Tape as soon as "Old Blue" comes home to us.

Sorry this is getting long winded but I also wanted to include the information on where we found the foam coving that blew/flew away while the roof lifted in the wind. The shipping was about $20.00. Not because of weight but size of the box. Hope this information might be useful for some in the future. Gail and Cliff

On Monday, August 26, 2019, 7:48:08 AM PDT, Winnebago Parts
Quote:
<[email protected]> wrote:
Gail,

I have that in stock for $5.44/ea plus s/h and they now come 4' long.

To get an order going, please feel free to contact me at 800-933-7742 and ask for Tyler.
Thanks,
Tyler
Old 08-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #68
Winnie-Wise

Well here is mine the other day. Have a appointment to have it fixed. Don't know what happened but at least I caught it before it took the whole thing off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	172146  
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote