Old 04-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Pictures Please

Doesn't anyone own a digital camera. I would be very interested in seeing what you folks are talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:50 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Say, Driver. I can't help with pictures of the eternabond installation, but you brought up a good point. I took some pictures of my quick and easy home made positive awning lock, which keeps the awning from unfurling in high winds, etc. I was going to post pics here for others to see, but find out that we can't post attachments. Could you elaborate on how it can be done?

Capt Bill, At The Beach
Indian River, Delaware
32' Adventurer, Ford V10
19' Kencraft CC toad.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Three of us have 99 Winnebago RVs bought within months of each other. Mine happens to be the latest build date my friends have early 99s. They are all Class As. Mine is a winnie brave diesel.

The skin is bonded down the center but the edges on both sides are loose no bonding, the reps told us that they are bent and tucked behind the metal channel on the edge and then there is a thin bead applied to this to hold it in place.

If you press on the rounded corner of your roof you will see that it is pliable, hollow underneath. As we all know if a flat sheet is bent after a time it acquires this shape and the back pressure it would have exerted against this channel would reduce thereby weakening the construction concept.

The Winnebago company transfered burden by stating in its manual that all seams must be inspected and maintained by the owner every 6 months. (No instructions as to how and why)

Common assumption would be to watch out for leaks and visually look, to see that the bead has not come off and blown away. Well no its about a bead holding the long strip of unattached material in place (can you imagine the turbulence that the edge of the RV faces specially when passed or passing a truck).

Fred, Tom etc no need to get personal if you don't agree that is ok don't let your ego feel threatened. Reminds me of the way some kids counter when at the end of their wits Your.... army boots!! [in this new era many moms are indeed wearing army boots!]

If you want to see the roof flapping just release the thin bead down the length of the RV and drive down the road for a day! You will find pieces of styrofoam stuffed under the loose edge the shape of a quarter round like on a floor when the carpet has been replaces or hardwood floor added. The styrofoam is just laying there un attached.

We will be using eternabond the adhesive which works for 10 years that the Winnebago engineers or as I like to refer to them RV assemblers have yet to discover. Will set up scaffolding and do 3 coaches at once. I learned of this adhesive from folks here and other forums.

But then the engineers designed in the maintenance intensive seams to have RV owners inspect all the seams every six months may be sooner for preventive maintenance.

Amazingly it also provides a logical out from major damage claims including those for de-lamination as well.

RUSTIC is good.
Kudos to those who make Local, State & Federal Parks & Campgrounds possible and to those picking up the slack by Providing Private Campgrounds.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:06 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have two friends who have Winnie products,,whose roofs came loose along the edges while traveling and the fiberglass broke up. Winnebago repaired both units under their warranty...one unit was 3 years old and one was 5 years old...they used a strip on each side and cut out the damaged areas and bonded the roofs together to form a new slope to the j strip...worked great....but the damage was covered by their warranty to the owners...

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:24 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I received a 2003copyrighted document today showing a detail drawing of the roof to sidewall/J channel seam, and with specifics on how and what to use to seal it. One particular item that I would like to pass along is their spec on the sealant itself. I've read and heard a lot of reference to a silicone sealant being used there. This info from Winnebago Industries gives two different sealant part numbers; one for a "painted roof material", and one for an unpainted roof.

The painted roof is sealed with a silicone based sealant after the painting process is completed. The unpainted roofs (most Winnebago's out there) requires a primer on the awning rail (J channel) followed by 10 minutes of drying time followed with a urethane adhesive sealant.

There is even a detail on the thickness of the bead, and the aestetic "troweling process", and how much sealant should be left after troweling. According to this document, this revision went into effect on 07/09/02. Hope this info is useful.

Capt Bill, At The Beach
Indian River, Delaware
32' Adventurer, Ford V10
19' Kencraft CC toad
Indian River, De
Old 04-30-2003, 06:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Okie,

Would it be possible to get the years of the Winnies that were covered and how long ago this happened. As for the 99 units Winnebago flat out says no.

Capt.Bill, this is great is there a doc number, I would like to get this doc before we attempt our preventive maintenance and fix. Thanks for the info.

Eternabond also has a primer that they recommend, we got this but I have not seen the pkg as it was a group order.

RUSTIC is good.
Kudos to those who make Local, State & Federal Parks & Campgrounds possible and to those picking up the slack by Providing Private Campgrounds.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

The following is to the best of my recollection...The first unit,,,a Adventurer DP,,was around a 96 or maybe a 97...I have to remember which unit I had there having work on...the second was a Itasca SunflyerDP ,,,bout a 98....the last one was in early 2001 as I had our previous motor home there,,,a Horizon for warranty work...Both of the individuals I knew from WIT which we are members of...Possibly they have changed their coverage since then...I havent looked in my book on the Advantage we have now...but will do so to see if it requires maintenance or not...not to worried as unit is still under first year warranty though...I know that the roof will tear off if it raises up, going down the highway,from the J strip, as I saw the amount of damage to these two units....

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:28 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Diesel Lover, and anyone else interested: The document as titled above does not have a document number on it. It has a revision date, and a copyright notice, the written procedure, and a cross section line drawing of the roof/sidewall joint. I have it on computer as a jpeg file, and if there was a place to post pictures, I would be glad to, for anyone interested. The other option would be to call Winnebago Industries and request it.

Capt Bill, At The Beach
Indian River, Delaware
32' Adventurer, Ford V10
19' Kencraft CC toad.
Indian River, De
Old 05-02-2003, 07:20 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Capt.Bill
I just called Winnie and they don't know anything about a document. The CSR even asked around and no one seemed to know anything about it !!!! They still have not learned about the internet and not telling fibs... We need to find a way to distribute the document because if it does not exist it cannot be coryrighted! Would appreciate it if you could Email a copy to me.

Jim & Barb
Phooey & Pounce
01 Winnie 35U
& Tracker toad

& Phooey
Jim & Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Capt. Bill,

Could you post that info on the Open Roads Forum that Woodalls sponsers. No problemn with posting pics on that sight.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:19 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

I'm not having any luck at all. I cannot see anywhere on the Woodall forum how to post a picture. In fact, I think I remember a note specifically saying that attachments are not allowed.

So, I went to e-mail it to Jim, but ren into a snag there too. Jim, what the heck is your e-mail address. It's not in your profile, so I haven't been able to send this "non-existant" document to you.

Capt Bill, At The Beach
Indian River, Delaware
32' Adventurer, Ford V10
19' Kencraft CC toad.
Indian River, De
Old 05-02-2003, 05:33 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Capt. Bill

Will you please send me a copy of the document?

My e-mail is in my profile.

Thank you.

Buddy & Jenna Kidd
Oklahoma City, OK
2001 Horzion
2000 Saturn, BrakeBuddy
WIT 103677, FMCA F291518

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:44 PM   #27
iRV2 Marketing

Me too, please! Thanks.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:47 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Capt. Bill,

If you could email the doc to me as well I would totally appreciate it.
[email protected]
Many thanks for sharing this important document with us.

Okie,

The manual says every 6 months, owners responsibility to maintain. From what I have gathered off this and other forums it generally has a 2 to 3 year time span for occurrence if stored outside.

RUSTIC is good.