Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

. Now, what was it I learned yesterday???

Not to believe everything you see or hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
. Now, what was it I learned yesterday???

Not to believe everything you see or hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should send him the pictures above and ask again!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
lucky his insurance will cover this tragic Winnebago crap shoot. much like the window frame - you just never know when but "WHEN" does happen.
there are may products beyond Rhinocoat in the ring of polyureas. some are even DIY which is possibly money saving for some.
FX-645 Fast Setting Brushable Polyurea Coating is sold a retail outlets and has some good ratings.
look around for other in the videos offered on line.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

My insurers have agreed to the repair and I am just waiting for an early date to get it into the workshop. Curiously, the repairer has recommended I go with an EPDM roof despite quoting for fibreglass, which is what is on my RV.

I am not happy to do this and have said so, but I am keen to hear your opinions. I am going to visit the repairer next week to discuss this matter further.

What do you guys think to this?
meltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltec View Post
My insurers have agreed to the repair and I am just waiting for an early date to get it into the workshop. Curiously, the repairer has recommended I go with an EPDM roof despite quoting for fibreglass, ... What do you guys think to this?
Installing EPDM would no doubt be cheaper and easier for the repairer, letting them get it done faster and make more profit. I would stick to fiberglass myself.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #26
Site Team

Definitely fiberglass, which remains a selling point for Winnebago.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

If going fiberglass, could they go with a thicker material? From the pictures posted it sure looks to be very thin. I wonder over time, walking on the roof, does that loosen up the bond between the layer of fiberglass and the backer board. Also the sun heating up the fiberglass may even just even slightly expand or contract the fiberglass layer.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #28

As much as the overall design kind of sucks, I would go back to fiberglass. I don't think they could go thicker or it wouldn't wrap around the sides. Just make sure they use the Winnebago product to seal the edges, not their own version.

I'm new to the fiberglass roof, coming from rubber roofs, and the fiberglass is sure easier to clean, remove lap sealant, etc, and it seems far more resistant to limbs, etc.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Interesting and "timely" info. Just lost part of my roof on 03 Adventurer to a Tornado spawned during Hurricane Matthew this past weekend. THX to all for the tips and advice
Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear that, EZ.

Maybe off topic a little, but I wonder what the "10 year roof guarantee" offered by Winnebago actually covers? I did not take my latest leak into the dealer, preferring to fix it myself, so I don't know if it would have been covered. It was too light of seam coating around the shower dome.

Do you think it is just coverage for the the fiberglass cracking or failing in some way, or are seams and wind damage and delamination and leaks covered as well?

Has anybody had work done under this "10 year roof" coverage?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Sorry to hear that, EZ.

Maybe off topic a little, but I wonder what the "10 year roof guarantee" offered by Winnebago actually covers? I did not take my latest leak into the dealer, preferring to fix it myself, so I don't know if it would have been covered. It was too light of seam coating around the shower dome.

Do you think it is just coverage for the the fiberglass cracking or failing in some way, or are seams and wind damage and delamination and leaks covered as well?

Has anybody had work done under this "10 year roof" coverage?
Yes, I received a $5500 check from Crane Composites who supplies the fiberglass skin. In my case I had extensive cracking of the material along both sides of the coach at the curved radius. I received two denial letters and then I proceeded to file in California small claims. They asked for a 2nd quote from a Winnebago dealer and that came in at $7500. Within 2 weeks I received the check.

Regarding the OP's roof failure, there's no chance in getting a warranty coverage. CCI warrants the material only and Winnebago gives a 1 yr only on workmanship.

I sold my 5 yr old 1999 Chieftain to my nephew who did no upkeep on the roof seal. Two yrs later he lost about 3 ft of the roof front corner. The roof seams must be checked and resealed where necessary at least every year.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I'm getting ready to cover my entire fiberglass roof with Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating. But before I do, I'm in the process of prepping the roof. One of the things I'm planning on doing is to scrap out the old bonding caulk along all the roof seams, which includes the front and rear cap on the top and as it curves down and around to the sides to where it goes under the gutter seam molding. Then do the same thing all along the entire edge of that gutter seam on both sides. I'm also doing this same process vertically down both entire sides to the bottom of both front & rear cap. I'm going to use NuFlex 460 sealant as my chalking/bonding agent per Winnebago callout sheet.
Now, in addition to that process on the roof, after I do this dig out old sealant & replace with NuFlex 460 to the top area on the front & rear cap, I was going to lay across those top seams 4" External Bond Tape and then as the last step apply the Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating to the entire roof. Here's a link to the video which explains this process.

My question is:
If I put that 4" External Tape of the top of the rear & front cap seam after I've replaced the caulking sealant, that will mean that in the future I won't have access to that seam again to check & inspect later on. But I'm thinking that with this process, that may not be necessary for quite some time. What are you thoughts on me putting that 4" External Tape on those 2 top seams?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltec View Post
My insurers have agreed to the repair and I am just waiting for an early date to get it into the workshop. Curiously, the repairer has recommended I go with an EPDM roof despite quoting for fibreglass, which is what is on my RV.

I am not happy to do this and have said so, but I am keen to hear your opinions. I am going to visit the repairer next week to discuss this matter further.

What do you guys think to this?
there will be a lot to think about when making that final decision. Here are a few thoughts.

A fiberglass roof, TPO, is about three times more expensive than a membrane one. TPO does have a different attribute that gives it a leg up over EPDM in one area of overall operating costs, the fiberglass isnt without its problems, too. A big one is thermal expansion and contraction. TPO on roofs is so thin that if it gets stressed in installation, it can develop hairline cracks because of its stiffness. The reality is that fiberglass doesnt have the elasticity that allows it to take compound curves very well, creating almost impossible installation problems.

TPO works best on flat-topped motorhomes. Its that elasticity that gives EPDM its edge for some designs over TPO. They both perform weather-wise very well. EPDM is available in a white finish. EPDM is repairable and big box stores sell patch or rolls of material.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I have now got my RV back fully repaired with a new fibreglass roof, new vents and antenna. Overall, from the day of delivery to collection, it took 74 days. I am delighted with the work carried out. For those in the UK, I can recommend Signature Motorhomes of Wolverhampton who carried out the work and took care of it at very short notice.

The cause of the roof lifting, apart from the stormy weather, is still in doubt. The underside of the old fibreglass was still bonded to plywood so it would seem that the ply had de-laminated, although it all looked in good condition. The remaining side seams were also in good condition.

However, at 15-years of age I maybe should have had it inspected more thoroughly and this would be my recommendation to others. It is quite traumatic to suddenly lose your roof, at night, away on vacation, with rain forecast. Food for thought.

Thanks to those following this thread and particularly those who gave support and advice.

Alan

ps: I would attach some after photos but it is overcast and we have dense fog here. Imagine a gleaming white new roof where water forms into thousands of droplets and you will get the picture.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

congratulations on the successful repair. keeping the MH in original design has merit. you experience is a warning to others. what was the cost?
Old 12-19-2016, 03:39 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Hi La Dagobago,

The total cost of the repair excluding tax was $12,181.00. Included in that price are all new roof vents, shower dome and TV antenna. These came to $2185 excluding tax. Tax is 20%.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Wow Alan, 20% vat! It was 10% back a few decades when I spent 5 weeks on a project in England. Do you have income tax on top of 20% vat? Wondering what a gallon of regular gas costs now? What does it cost you to get over to France? Ferry or tunnel?

Glad you got the roof fixed, that should give you some peace of mind on those rainy days.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Bill
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

New roof Done

Just picked up my 03 Adventurer. New roof, vents, skylights, antenna - took them 10 business days to complete the job. Total coast was just over $14,000. Price included two rear levelers and two new house batteries. They did a nice job for me. Thx to irv2 for all the advice and helpful links.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Hi Bill, we often chuckle when asked about costs in the UK from family in North America. Also, when asked how we manage to drive an RV around the tiny roads we have.

To answer your questions, the VAT is in addition to income tax. Regular gas price is rising at the moment but our unleaded gas is about 1.15/litre and diesel 1.18/litre. Our 33ft RV is diesel and returns 11.5 mpg (UK) when we tow our car on its trailer. Unlike the US, it is not legal in much of Europe to tow a car unless it is on an appropriate trailer.

We went to France last year on the ferry (Dover-Calais) and it cost the equivalent of $280 return. Our average fuel cost to operate our RV set up is 0.52 pence/mile(UK).

I'll leave it to you to do any conversions from to $, UK mile to US mile and litres to US gallons.

Hope you have a Happy Christmas, Bill and to all on iRV2.

Alan
Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Thanks Alan. Thru the years when I hear about some nasty problems from a UK iRV2 owner, and they're stuck in Spain or Europe somewhere. I feel so sorry for them and can imagine how stressful it must be. Language barrier, parts compatibility, nobody familiar with a US made machine, cost and inconvenience. You guys are brave adventurers!!! (no pun intended on the Winnebago names)

It's easy to do these conversions now .... just Google "1.15/litre to $/gal". It comes out to $5.37 gal unleaded. That seems like a pretty good price as I recall it used to be $7-8 per gallon. Maybe it still is in other EU countries.

I suppose you use a GPS unit that's designed for truckers? There must be a boatload of bridges that don't have the clearance you need. And the tolls for 4 axles must be horrendous. I'll bet the rewards far outweigh the cost.

Happy New Year too!

Bill

Tags
roof, winnebago