Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2003, 04:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Brave which I am about to upgrade to a 2004 journey..On another RV forum, there are are bunch of posts about roof problems on the winnebagos where the edge comes out of the groove..They are also complaining Winnebago will not fix the problem, saying that it is a maintenence problem..I have not notice this problem on my Brave..Anyone here know of this problem, the cuase,etc or are there just a bunch of winni bashers on the other forum..
Thanks

2002 Winnebago Brave 34ft
Mike I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Brave which I am about to upgrade to a 2004 journey..On another RV forum, there are are bunch of posts about roof problems on the winnebagos where the edge comes out of the groove..They are also complaining Winnebago will not fix the problem, saying that it is a maintenence problem..I have not notice this problem on my Brave..Anyone here know of this problem, the cuase,etc or are there just a bunch of winni bashers on the other forum..
Thanks

Old 07-30-2003, 05:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

shouldn't bee any issues on 2003 & up models with the fiberglass front and rear caps. Unless the MTC guys were lying.

Hugh - Roberta(SWMBO)
Buster & Betty(both white Boxers)
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mike,
I thought that there were a bunch of winnebago bashers on the roof thing & said so on this forum. Much to my chagrin I must now admit that they were right & I was wrong. I apologize too any one that I offended. The roof is just stuck under the rain gutter & sealed with a sealant of some kind. If the sealant fails the roof will leak & could lift on the edges causing an expensive mess. I, after checking the roof found it was able to be pushed in along the edges. Winnebago warns that if you don't keep it sealed you will have problems which aren't theirs. I used eternabond on the gutter & up to the roof so it can't leak & this should alleviate the problem. I've got a 00' adventurer 35u & this revelation didn't make me happy. It didn't take long to apply the eternabond, BUT I shouldn't have had to do it. In retrospect I don't know if I would buy another Winnie. They have some good features, but I don't like to think about roofs lifting & delaminations.

Fred B.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mike: Glad to see you back on line. I have tried to contact you, but I guess you changed your e-mail address or I had it wrong.
Get back to me at [email protected]
Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Mike,

I too had problems with my roof seams, especially on the awning side of the coach. Like Fred, I sealed it up with Eternabond Tape, and hopefully will never have to worry about it again.

Craig

1998 Winnebago Adventurer 30WQ
Ford V-10 Enhanced with Banks
2001 Suzuki XL-7 4x4 Toad
Yamaha WaveRaider
Sea-Doo GTX Limited

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys for the responses...
Does anyone know if Winnebago has done anything in the new model years to address this problem..
Is this eternabond stuff easy to apply..Do you see it after it is applied..Do you have to remove the old seal first before applying the new eternabond
Thanks all..

Old 07-31-2003, 03:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mike,please read my reply. The problem has been addressed on the newer models.

Hugh - Roberta(SWMBO)

Old 07-31-2003, 03:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Hugh..
Thanks, I did see it the first time..Before I spend 150 grand, I was kind of hoping for more reassurance.. Your post did have unless the MTC guys were lying..Who is MTC by the way..
do you know how the problem was fixed. Also you mentioned the end caps where changed on the new models but from what I have read, most the problems are along the side roof lines..
Thanks

Old 07-31-2003, 04:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

MTC = Maintenance. Before purchasing our coach,I addressed the roof separation & leak issues with the fellas in service at Bleakley Winnebago. They assured me that the problems had been taken care of on the 2003/2004 coaches. We have only had our unit since the last weekend of June so there is no way for me to know if the separation problem is cured. However we have experience several serious rains while both camping and in motion and am happy to report :no leaks!

Hugh - Roberta(SWMBO)

[This message was edited by HuBee on Thu July 31 2003 at 09:50 AM.]

Old 07-31-2003, 04:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hugh,
I have had no leaks at all on my Brave which is just over a year old now..The complaints I keep hearing is when the units get to be a couple years old and roof separation becomes a problem.
Thanks all
Mike

Old 07-31-2003, 06:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

As far as installing the Eternabond Tape is concerned, yes, you can see it after it is installed, but it is barely noticeable and does not look bad. The roll is quite wide, so I sliced mine down the middle. That way I only used what I actually needed.

I called Eternabond and was told that I did not need to remove the old caulking. It does need to be cleaned throughly however. For that, the Eternabond rep. recommended brake parts cleaner. I bought a of couple cans, and it worked quite well. Just remember to spray it onto a rag, not onto the side of the coach. It can streak or even possibly damage the finish.

You can buy the tape at Camping World. A little pricey, but well worth it.

Craig

Yamaha WaveRaider
Sea-Doo GTX Limited

Old 07-31-2003, 08:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Craig..Great information

Old 07-31-2003, 09:06 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Eternabond Picture

This shot was forwarded to me by Fred B out of Hinkley, OH.

Please direct any questions to Fred Bradley. Thanks.

Eternabond Installation

As you can see an Eternabond installation looks fairly invisible especially when looked at from the ground.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 "¢ 22.5" Tire "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 "¢ Robert Yates Racing "¢ 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I just don't understand how the sealant in the top of the J channel can keep the roof from lifting. According to Winnebago the fiberglass roof panel is bonded to the structure supporting it over the majority of roof area. At the point where the roof curves down to meet the J channel, it is not, but is held in the J channel with urethane adhesive both behind and in the channel, and capped on the outside with a bead of sealant which fills the gap from the top of the J to the panel.
The sealant, which is the only thing visible, is only to prevent water injestion. You can't see the urethane adhesive inside the J channel so what good does checking the sealant do? The roofs are lifting because the bonding between the roof and the structure supporting the roof has failed.
As much as I believe in Winnebago products I sincerely think they are blowing smoke on this issue.
Glad to see someone finally got a picture of the Eternabond installation.
Forget Camping World, get it from:
http://www.rooferstoolsonline.com/etrosewh.html

Don Harris
Savannah, GA
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, 35C, Class A, Ford V10, 20,500 GVWR chassis.
1995 Saturn SW2 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa towing system, SMI Toad brake.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
What could be causing the roof seperation is water getting under the sealant and freezing. That could cause the roof to seperate from the framework. It's just a guess but I'm sure it is a possibility.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W20 w/ 19.5 wheels
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 07-31-2003, 06:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

You are absolutely right Don, Winnebago is blowing smoke. I've had similar problems with some other areas of my coach. I've always said, I think they build a fine product, I just wish they were a little more straight-forward when an obvious flaw is pointed out. But then again, I guess that's big business.

Pat, It only drops down to freezing once or twice a year where I live...don't think that's the culprit.

Happy Trails!

Craig

Yamaha WaveRaider
Sea-Doo GTX Limited

Old 08-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

At Don's urging I called eternabond about shelf life of the product ,,answer 5 years. Also inquired about 2' instead of 4" wide and told it was available @ 2"x50ft. Sure will save a lot of work in cutting it. He also told me to use a knife that has been in a freezer for cutting as that will deter the adhesive from sticking to the blade. One super newbie but learning from the forum,,thanks guys
Jim

1999 35c Adventurer
A beautiful Wife and
Two beautiful dogs.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:49 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I like the idea of a 2" wide roll, but at 50', you'll have to buy two rolls, and you'll have a lot left over. But then again, I see your rig is 35', so a 70' roll wouldn't leave you any room for error, or any extra material at all.

Figures they'd come out with a 2" wide roll after I do mine!

I also like the tip about freezing the knife. No one shared that tip with me when I did mine. It did get kinda messy, especially after slicing the entire 70' roll in half!

Craig

1998 Winnebago Adventurer 30W
V-10 Enhanced with Banks
Yamaha WaveRaider
Sea-Doo GTX Limited

Old 09-10-2003, 07:19 AM   #20
LMB
Winnebago Camper

Hello, I'm new to your forum, new to Class As and new to our 2000 Brave. wish I were new to this earth.
I have had the Brave since June and the only problem I have had were in the road handleing of the unit, a work in progress
All or this to ask about the roof problems. I would like a more in depth explaination of what and where if some one would be so kind. I did read and print the 'roof to side wall joint info but that deals with the repair, what determines the Need?
Thanks for your time! Great forum
Larry
LMB is offline   Reply With Quote