Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago leaking & rusting windshield problems?

looking at the winnebago rv's and have been told they have problems with their front window leaking and rusting? can someone tell me if this has been a problem for them.
Thanks
rlconn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I used to have a 2003 gas A class , had to replace passenger wind shield and was a bit concerned but once it was removed could fully inspect , no issues , small patch of surface rust that was quickly cleaned .
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

we did not keep ours long enough to find out but if you do you are on your own winnebago will not help
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On mine it was leaking under the front cap right at the seam line and gutter. They put no sealant on the lower edge and when it rains it's like a hose full force. And the other area is on the roof seam on the edges of the length of the rv

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The drivers side wind shield on my 2004 has been replaced twice because of rock damage - no signs of rust.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

my 2013 Vista has both front side window problems...they are not leaking,but the slider framework is really junky...seems like the metal is twisted or bent and the channels that the glass slides in are distorted beyond repair..matter of fact I have sealed the passenger side shut...They rattled and wind noise was really disturbing...I know I bought it used but for a 2013 the quality is just not there...On our trip home from Florida my DW ended up with the glass window in her lap! I managed to get the rig stopped and ended up duct taping the thing together until we got home to Iowa...Winnie Engineering really dropped the ball on this one..and I don't know if the design has been addressed..sad....other than that it is a terrific camper and we are happy with it.....Windows should be recalled for replacement across the board..if it had shattered when it hit my wife it could have been very serious..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
Good luck with your choice.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Rock killed my one piece windshield last week motor home is 3 1/2 years old with 26,000 miles , it had no rust - some MH makers encase windshield in fiberglass and not steel like Winnebago, steel is a lot safer

Never had a leak
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had a rust caused leak at apx 4 years due to water intrusion under a clearance lamp. There was no rust damage anywhere else on the window frame. Winnebago did "participate" in the repair. I check the clearance lamps yearly, and reseal if needed.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We had a leak around the windshield. Winnebago said it was on the drivers side. They pulled the windshield and redid the seals. Still had the leak turns out it was on the passenger side. No explanation of how they got it wrong. In each case they do not promise they won't break the windshield and if broken, I pay for the replacement. They told me no rust just a deteriorated seal. I got a "small" break on labor for the second one since they missed it. Two trips to the factory. BUT no leaks since then....
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I had a rust caused leak at apx 4 years due to water intrusion under a clearance lamp. There was no rust damage anywhere else on the window frame. Winnebago did "participate" in the repair. I check the clearance lamps yearly, and reseal if needed.
I thought my leak was from the running lights. The factory techs claim that the wires coming into the cap are up hill from the light and water can not come in that way. They also told me to NOT caulk the running lights because they have a small drain at the bottom. (They said if you look at the caulk sheet running lights are not caulked.) Personally I think it was all BS on their part. They did replace all the foam rubber gaskets around the running lights but didn't explain why they need gaskets if water can't get in.....
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Had a mystery leak on my old class C...turned out to be the clearance lamps...Winnie had drilled 5/16 holes in the fiberglass to pull the wires and just screwed the lamps on to the bodywork..duh!!! No sealant in the holes behind the lamps! Small wet spots...wood trim and roof liner soiled because of a nickels worth of sealant and stupidity...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago leaking & rusting windshield problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
I used to have a 2003 gas A class , had to replace passenger wind shield and was a bit concerned but once it was removed could fully inspect , no issues , small patch of surface rust that was quickly cleaned .

Exact same thing happened to me about a year ago. Once the cracked glass was removed, the rust sanded off and the metal cleaned, the new windshield hasn't leaked since.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Had window replace few years ago. Cleaned and repainted window frame because of rust. Last week had a few gallons of water leak in from window. Pull trim off and caulked. Trim funnels water in around the window and no place for it to go. I sealed the trim this time. Hope it helps.
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

What type sealant do use guys recommend around the top/running lights? Do you seal all the way around the amber cover? Just one more I promise,do you remove amber cover before sealing?
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Our Horizon is over 10 years old and we have not had any leaking problems. 3 years ago I had a driver side windshield replaced. We found minor rust that was treated when the new windshield was replaced.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

We also had a problem with the clearance lights leaking on our 2001 Adventurer. It took a while to find the problem, but it was obvious where the water was coming from when I removed the television .

I ran a bead of clear silicone sealant around each light. We had it another 8 years and never had another leak.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

This is the area the water is getting in and causing our problems. you will find that there is nothing stopping the water from going under the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield leak.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	92427  
Old 04-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Windshield rust 02 journey

I just had the dreaded windshield cracks from a rusty frame, granted mine is an 02 so been around awhile. I had the windshield company remove the windshield last week while I was home, once removed I noticed the rust across the top, across about two thirds of the bottom and down the center bar. I asked the technician if he could leave them out so I could get rid of the rust and paint over it, he agreed that would be the right way. He even gave me a can of Betaprime 5504g, said that was what he recommended to encapsulate the meta, and prevent the rust from returning, at least anytime soon. There is a video on YouTube where a guy is talking about the Winnebagos having this problem and showed an Itasca that had the rust in almost the same places, he said a funny thing is that the never rust on the passenger side vertical post and sure enough mine didn't either. Anyway, I grinder all the rust off, primered everything and he came back today and installed the new glass, should be set for awhile. My end took about 3-4 hours of work. I took a few pictures to show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	92763  
Gedwards1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Windshield rust repair

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails