Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago/Itasca Windshield Leaks

I am thinking of buying an 08 Itasca Meridian...can someone tell me what is the "dreaded" windshield leaking problems on Winnebagos...and a rusty frame problem...early models, or late models, a pervasive problem...anything helps...
ItascaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My personal experience with my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W was a rusted frame around the top of the windshield. Fortunately I was still under warranty and it was repaired by the dealer. I have subsequently found that the front cap has to be pulled of to repair rusted areas and the cost is around $4000. That is what I was told by the dealer. Whether he was telling the truth or not regarding the price I am not sure. Others may jump in with other information.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
aa1ssradio

I believe the problem was up to 2010. The windshield is mounted to a steel frame and it has a tendency to rust and then the windshield cracks. We just had ours repaired with 2 new windshields and cost was $2600.00. Ours was rusted on the bottom and the top was fine.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have 2002 itasca sunrise. No known problems but anything I can do to keep the rust away? Thanks for your replies.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx08453 View Post
I have 2002 itasca sunrise. No known problems but anything I can do to keep the rust away? Thanks for your replies.
Mine had some areas where the frame was rusted, att he bottom of the windshield. You have to take the rubber trim off to see it. I carefully sanded all the rusted areas, and used the POR-15 started kit I had from a previous project, and painted the frame around the windshield.

Regular paints and even "Extend" rust inhibitor, is not really a permanent fix. POR-15 is. Find it on the web. I think a 'starter kit', containing everything you need, is only around $25 or so. It goes a long way, so you will have it for other areas that may need attention, as well.

When the metal in contact with the glass, rusts, it swells out and puts pressure on the glass, which will eventually crack it. The little metal brackets at the bottom, can carefully be cut off with a dremel tool, as they are only used when the windshield is first installed. They hold it in position. If the windshield needs to be replaced at a future time, the glass guy can use small blocks of wood to keep the windshield from sliding down while the bedding compound cures, so the brackets are no needed. They are the primary culprit (as has been my experience).
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the insight on the deterioration. Can the clips be cut off from the inside?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItascaRose View Post
I am thinking of buying an 08 Itasca Meridian...can someone tell me what is the "dreaded" windshield leaking problems on Winnebagos...and a rusty frame problem...early models, or late models, a pervasive problem...anything helps...
If you do a search here (leaking windshields, rusted windshields) at the Winnebago forum, you'll easily come up with a few threads, and far more than you'll want to read, on this subject. One that Winnebago, by the way, denies...

Depending on the serious of the rust, metal damage and if one or both windshields needs to be replaced (can easily get broken when pulled from the windshield as they are glued in placed), you can expect to spend anywhere from $1,200 - $4k for repairs and glass replacement. And sadly, due to the design of how the windshield glass is glued in place and the glass seal allows water to get behind it, there is no guarantee that is can't/won't happen more than once.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
If you do a search here (leaking windshields, rusted windshields) at the Winnebago forum, you'll easily come up with a few threads, and far more than you'll want to read, on this subject. One that Winnebago, by the way, denies...

Depending on the serious of the rust, metal damage and if one or both windshields needs to be replaced (can easily get broken when pulled from the windshield as they are glued in placed), you can expect to spend anywhere from $1,200 - $4k for repairs and glass replacement. And sadly, due to the design of how the windshield glass is glued in place and the glass seal allows water to get behind it, there is no guarantee that is can't/won't happen more than once.

I couldn't disagree more. I have owned 3 different Winnebago class-A motorhomes since 1998; more than 15 years, and the only issue I have had is some rust on the brackets on the outside bottom of the windshield frams, which hold the windshield in place while the bedding compound cures.

Winnebago has a far superior windshield mount system that just about any other brands; it is the same methor that the windshield is mounted to your car or truck. No giant rubber grommets that allow the windshield to leak, or even pop out, which you are leveling, or turning in to a sloped parking lot entrance. You read a lot about that happening to other brands, on the forums, over the years. Now if the factory sealant left a gap somewhere at the top, then I agree that water will get behind the windshield, and if let go, would cause problems. But who would let that go? If it leaks, you'd have water INSIDE the windshield and dripping on the dashboard. I watched the windshield bedding process at the factory on several different occasions, and I don't see how they could do it wrong.

Winnebago uses an outer rubber trim, that does not seal water from the windshield frame, and can trap moisture behind it. A prudent owner will pull that rubber strip off, check the frame metal, and even prime and paint it after some years, as the factory paint gives way to corrosion. No different than inspecting and resealing the roof-sidewall sealant, as needed.

Anyone who neglects these things are certain to have problems.
Indian River, De
Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Capt Bill
Then why doesn't Winnebago instruct owners to pull the rubber molding off and inspect it like they do with the roof to side wall inspection in the owners manual????????
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Capt Bill
Then why doesn't Winnebago instruct owners to pull the rubber molding off and inspect it like they do with the roof to side wall inspection in the owners manual????????
It would be good it they added that to their list of things to check. Still, I wonder if people would do it. How many owners do the semi-annual inspection of roof sealant, or have a dealer do it? Pulling that flap of trim back and having a look, just seemed like a good idea to me, as years ago, I had noticed the painted surface behind storage bay doors was rusting, as was my chassis frame rails.

I live on the coast, so a lot of humidity here, and where we travel. The motorhome was several years old then, so some rust on these areas didn't surprise me. It's an area that stays damp, is not easily cleaned or waxed, and it's just painted steel. So something had to be done. I pulled all the trim off, used an air hose to clean the dirt out, and then lightly sanded and then primed (with POR-15) the metal. POR-15 is a "once and done" protective coating. I wish the factory used something like it instead of paint, but they don't, so I do.
Indian River, De
Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The day after we took delivery of our 2012 Itasca Meridan in September 2012, it rained and water dripped on to the dash. We were still at the dealers in Florida and they stopped the leak but as we drove across the country pieces of rust would fall on the dash. In Idaho in February 2013 it snowed lightly and as the snow melted on the roof water once again dripped on the dash. We drove to Alaska in March 2013 and the dealer in Anchorage stopped the leak and virtually all the rust flakes from falling. However after reading the forum I became very concerned about the affects of water around the windshield frame and contacted the factory in September 2013, a little short of one year since we had taken delivery of the coach. The factory indicated that even though we didn't take delivery of our coach until the end of September 2012, our warranty had ended the end of June 2013 since we had bought the coach sight unseen the end of June 2012 but still offered to goodwill the removal of the windshield, remove any rust, refinish the steel and reinstall the windshield. We drove from Alaska in October 2013 and arrived at the factory in November. They reported that they found some rust where there shouldn't have been any, repaired and reinstalled the windshield.
So as one of the previous posters stated, if water starts to drip on the dash you probably want to be concerned.
market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

In answer to your question as to windshield rust and leaks newer models, I have a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 35L and just went through that problem. I have never had a leak until recently on a trip to Alaska with WIT Carvan, noticed small water leak on windshield. Upon return took to my dealer who removed windshield and found rust in 5 places luckly not too severe, they completely stripped and painted entire windshield frame with rust inhibiting paint. Replaced the windshield and resealed, believe problem is cured. They and I both called Winnebago Customer Service as we both thought Winnebago should cover the problem, Winnebago answer is "We don't cover rust." I was disappointed with their answer as they would not even discuss they don't believe they have a problem!!
My motorhome is well maintained and in covered storage when not in use, I live in the state of Oklahoma so motorhome is not subject to humid conditions. I have all seals checked twice a year by dealer and I check also.
My service shop McClains Rv was great to work with and kept cost to minimum, both I was extremely disappointed with the reply from Winnebago Customer Service.
Mike Grimes
Winnebago 35L 2008
Mike Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you…if you don't mind…what is the cost?

thanks

Del
ItascaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I have owned 3 different Winnebago class-A motorhomes since 1998; more than 15 years, and the only issue I have had is some rust on the brackets on the outside bottom of the windshield frams, which hold the windshield in place while the bedding compound cures.
Well, CaptBill, I couldn't disagree with you more, and doing a google search shows that this isn't a one or two or three owner problem. It's great that you haven't had the rusted windshield leaks, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a known issue, that Winnebago denies any knowledge of it, and the owners who've had the problem have had to spend $1-4k to have the problem fixed.

And as far as Winnebago having the 'superior' windshield installation, maybe someone could explain why Winnebago has had such a problem, at least until model-year 2009, when they switched to an windshield installation more like (but not completely like) all the other manufacturers have done all the previous years. And no, passenger vehicles do not have the entire glass glued into a metal frame; absolutely not true. They may be sealed in place, but not glued. Winnebago even has it's own sealant that drys has hard as a rock, which is why the windshield glass frequently breaks when pulled out.

"Anyone who neglects these things are certain to have problems." - That is, if you own a Winnebago product. And based on my phone calls (total of three) with Winnebago, at no time have they told me that Winnebago recommends that procedure, either in the past, or currently, either verbally or in writing. And Winnebago has told me that simply pulling off the reveal molding isn't enough to verify the rust, and how extensive it might be: you have to pull both windshields, which can lead to breakage and a costly replacement. You mention cleaning up the rust and repainting: again, that can only really be done properly and thoroughly by pulling the glass. Not a simple inspection or procedure and until it happens to you, it's one of those things that you can deny and take issue with owners that have already had this happen. You may find out one day that you too weren't so immune...
Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

We had a 2006 Suncruiser that developed an upper windshield leak when it was about 4 years old. When I pulled the liners from the storage compartments above the windshield I not only saw rust but even water. I knew from the posts Winnebago wouldn't do anything about it and we planned to trade it in in a couple years so all I did was pull the mouldings and filled every gap I could see with sealant. It held and I traded it in earkier this year for another brand.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpartsvet View Post
We had a 2006 Suncruiser that developed an upper windshield leak when it was about 4 years old. When I pulled the liners from the storage compartments above the windshield I not only saw rust but even water. I knew from the posts Winnebago wouldn't do anything about it and we planned to trade it in in a couple years so all I did was pull the mouldings and filled every gap I could see with sealant. It held and I traded it in earkier this year for another brand.
Replacing your Suncruiser with a 2013 Newmar Ventana 3634, now that's an expensive repair! Nice replacement though and something I would do in a heartbeat, but unfortunately, I have a kid headed to 5 or six years of college soon. Still could have made it work but my money tied up long-term has paid very little the last 5 years. It's a good time to finance something due to cheap rates, I guess, but you sure can't earn much in interest as a rate of return.

Tags
itasca, leak, leaks, winnebago