Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
Beabop,
I don't quite understand you statement, basement a/c is nothing more than a central house unit in plain English. My local a/c man has maintained my unit (3 years formuchless than RV dealers have indicated they would charged.

Best, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my plan of attack if I every need repairs.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

I believe that Winnebago does monitor this site. Hopefully these posts will provide valuable incite to their future plans. Knowing what their customers like or dislike should have an impact on their marketing strategy.

Keep posting on this subject as it is important.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #23
doc
Winnebago Owner

We have the basement air as well. No problems and it is indeed very quiet. The problem(s) with the roof units is they have to have a hole cut in the roof. Any penetration of the roof is a potential leak. As the seal gets older and shrinks or hardens the possibility of leakage goes up. With ducted roof air, the water that gets in can come out someplace other than where the leak takes place.
Hope they don't do away with the BA.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

When I go to the Florida WIT Rally in Orlando there will be factory service guys there and I'll ask them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. As much as Winnebago is the sponsor of this site, maybe they can answer the question specifically by posting the answer here also.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

I have had roof air and basement air. I am a basement air fan.

Winnie -- pls don't discontinue basement air. It's one of the main features that sets Winnie's away from the competion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

To those who asked. We tried the local AC people, they won't touch the basement air because of dropping the 200 lb unit. We have to go to FC to have the cap and shoulders painted this summer and hope we can get the heat pump fixed. Will talk to Coleman again when we get home as no one they told us to call would look at it.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I am constantly showing our RV to other owners. One person who owns a Coachman said the noise was soo bad in his unit they just run the bedroom ac full blast all day and never run the one in the kitchen becuase they can't talk over it. What a huge mistake it would be if WBO stopped using basement air. They have enjoyed a five year exclusive on them and I just giggle when I see the $500,000 RV's with units on their roof.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

How about roof height? The newer coaches are getting so tall that it is tough to get them into many storage units. Roof air might make it impossible for many to use the storage units they now have.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Having had both I too vote for the basement air. I have the 33V Itasca and it works perfect. Noise sometimes is a little louder then usual but I think it's due to leveling. Other then that We love it.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will talk to Coleman again when we get home as no one they told us to call would look at it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Beabop

Go the the RVP (that's Coleman/Mach) website listing of certified repair locations at www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/service/need_repairs.php ... we found a good one in Branson MO (it was a little independent RV repair place), and a fantastic one in Andover KS just outside Wichita (they were primarily a trailer dealer, but their tech was fantastic on the coach basement air).

You don't say where you are right now, but I see repair places listed in Hagerstown MD and Harrisburg PA not far from your home as listed in your messages.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

AF CHAP:Thanks for the heads up on the list of Coleman repair stations. I have printed them out and will make them a part of my information files.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Just to be odd, I'll say that we've had both and liked both. It is not a deal breaker for us. BUT: I sure like the huge amount of extra basement space the roof frees up.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

I too am a big fan of the basement air. We are on our 3rd Winnebago in 8 years and all three have had basement air. They have handled the extremes of temperature of the desert southwest quite nicely.

Very few problems except for the outside air temperature sensor not allowing the unit to heat as the temperature drops. The set point was too high but can be modified with a resistor in parallel with the NTC sensor. Though not something most people can do.

I also added a deflector to the exhaust air to keep it away from the right side of the coach. This helps with efficiency on windless days as the hot exhaust isn't re-circulated through the unit. This fix was suggested to Winnebago around 7 years ago.

All in all, an excellent design feature for an RV. If there have been complaints on the units effectiveness by some buyers, the logical thing for Winnebago and Coleman to do would be to up the BTU's on the two heat pumps. Since the coaches are wired for 50 Amp. service and the generators are adequately sized, this should not be too difficult to do.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Mark, the deflector is a good idea. Where did you obtain it?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Hi Steve,

Machined it my self. It's fit on all three of our coaches, an Adventurer, a Journey, and now the Horizon. That's why it's rusted a bit.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrTransistor:
Hi Steve,

Machined it my self. It's fit on all three of our coaches, an Adventurer, a Journey, and now the Horizon. That's why it's rusted a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have the plans to make another?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Mr. Transistor,

If you could post some sort of plans or drawings of the reflector you made. I would be interested as well.
I'm a machinist and welder and would love to make one.

Thanks.
Mitch
Old 02-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the basement air being a good thing. I have no basis for comparison since this is my first RV. In two years of use both summer and winter, I've had no problems with it at all. When I purchased it new, the basement air was a nice selling point. I liked the look of the cleaner roof line.
I hope they keep basement air.

Take care,
Mitch
Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Some coaches with certain floor plans are effected by this design much more so than others. We have had to add a roof unit to these coaches. Our Winnebago service rep is coming to the dealership today and I will ask him as to what they have decided.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #40

Let us know what he says RV Wizard.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote