Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago builds shoddy bed foundation and storage.

No wonder this bed failed the construction is completely incompetent. I can not believe they would think this shoddy design would work. Butting wood together and stapling it. It isn't even glued. The thing completely collapsed.

In the storage compartment we had some clothing and some goose down coats. It wasn't heavy and it wasn't stuffed. Look at how the duct work was crushed. I was getting very little air movement in the bath room. That left most duct is the basement heat. I doubt there was any air moving through that.

We are not heavy people at 170 and 115 this failed because it is cheap, incompetent, shoddy design and implementation. Winnebago should be ashamed.

It took hours to pull this out and rebuild. I don't have to many pictures but I basically just pulled off the bottom covers and screwed on lapping metal plates. Even with piloting and careful screwing many screws get very little bite because the wood is so cheap. I just put in a bunch of screws, more time and more money. If it fails again I'll have to rebuild it with some quality wood.

The storage space cover was so pathetic it could not be repaired. I completely reworked it into just covers for the duct work being careful to maintain good air flow for the furnace return air which passes through here.
This uses the old wood but it is screwed, glued, and carries the load with no shear on any joint.

This setup gives a lot more space, provides space on the floor for heavy things like the firesafe seen in the picture, and is about 10 times stronger. Engine access will be much easier now with only three screws to remove.

I may add a layer of foam insulation to the floor at some point and insulate the metal engine compartment cover to keep driving heat out of the area.

I just don't know why we have to put up with this sort of garbage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050133.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	161565   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050139.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	161566  

Name:	P1050136.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	161567   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050138.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	161568  

Name:	P1060946.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	161569   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060980.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	161571  

Old 05-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

No one should have to put up with this kind of construction.

I am bull headed enough to take it back and have them repair it. How are they going to learn if we always fix the problem. I believe they likely would have done the repairs without argument based on the way they have dealt with the few issues I have had.

I would send the photos to [email protected]. I would request compensation for the materials used for the repair - at a minimum.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago builds shoddy bed foundation and storage.

Name:	IMG_1261.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	161747

I had to put some angle iron on my queen bed platform on our Forza.

There are more pictures over in the Facebook Winnebago Diesel Pusher Owners Group at: https://m.facebook.com/groups/228615810948729
MountainMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well,
First off, it's too bad something like this happened. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT and it's now 12 + years old and we've not had any issues like that and, it's built in same factory. Our bed is also directly over the motor and, so far, is holding up pretty well. In fact, about the only structural alterations/enhancement/repairs I've had to do was on two drawers, in the kitchen area. They were simply coming apart. I re-fitted them with some Gorilla Glue and, some screws, and that was almost 6 years ago when we first bought it.
Second, it's been suggested that you maybe should take it back and have them fix it. Well, good luck with that. Being that it's a '13, I'd have to bet it's out of any warranty. And if so, they may fix it for you but, at your dollar. While Winne may like to provide good products, things like this will slip through the cracks. Of all the '13 models out there on the road, how many are like yours?

To me, it is what it is. The warranty's long gone, and in my opinion, so is any recourse from the factory or any selling dealer. Get out your tools, glue, screws, knowledge and build/re-build it your way, the way it should have been done. Done that many, many times in my life.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Had almost the same exact problem on a 2006 Journey 36G. Winnebago design saves weight but once it starts to come apart it gets bad fast.
I unscrewed bed platform at the hinge and reglued, screwed and air nailed it back together. Instead of angle iron I cut a 2x4 to length and glued it widthwise about a foot away from about
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Had almost the exact problem on our 2006 Journey 36G. Winnebago design saves weight but it gets ugly pretty quick once it starts to separate.
I unscrewed the hinge, and proceeded to reglue, screw and nail the sandwich construction back together. Instead of angle iron I cut a 2x4 to length and glued/screwed it parallel to hinge and about a foot away. Put it back together two years ago and holding together just fine.
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2012 Journey, and had to modify the construction of our bed as well. I even had to beef up the anchor points for the lift stabilizers.

Seems like an area that Winnebago has made little effort to "engineer" beyond cost effectiveness.

If need be, I'll post pictures. Since it is a hidden part of the coach, I did not finish the wood, nor cut all the pieces to exact lengths, so the aesthetics are not Show Quality.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBell View Post
I have a 2012 Journey, and had to modify the construction of our bed as well. I even had to beef up the anchor points for the lift stabilizers.

Seems like an area that Winnebago has made little effort to "engineer" beyond cost effectiveness.

If need be, I'll post pictures. Since it is a hidden part of the coach, I did not finish the wood, nor cut all the pieces to exact lengths, so the aesthetics are not Show Quality.

Love to see your pictures. I have my bed repair pictures over on the new Winnie DP Class A Owners Forum at
https://m.facebook.com/groups/228615...urce=typeahead
MountainMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Same here. I didn't have a miter saw just a tape measure. I had to cut the plywood with a razor knife free hand. It looks good in the dark.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMH View Post
Love to see your pictures. I have my bed repair pictures over on the new Winnie DP Class A Owners Forum at
https://m.facebook.com/groups/228615...urce=typeahead
Joining group as we speak, er uh, type
Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
Same here. I didn't have a miter saw just a tape measure. I had to cut the plywood with a razor knife free hand. It looks good in the dark.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We had an '01 Adventurer, an '05 Suncruiser and an '11 Journey for a total of over 160,000 miles and all held up very well. Maybe a piece of molding came loose here and there but they were all great!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone contacted WGO customer service to see what their response is? Not asking is the same as "no". I have had very good response to any query I have made for information although nothing of the magnitude on this thread.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
I most certainly don't want to sound too sarcastic but, you have a 2013 diesel motor home and, you couldn't even borrow a power saw (battery powered or 120V unit) and cut your wood so it would look nicer? Having the right tool for even a simple job like cutting plywood is really not that expensive. Garage sales can produce nice tools for around $10.00 or so. Just a suggestion.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Okay, this could get lengthy. I'll try to keep it short and direct.

The bed frame support I added, could have been built in an "H" shape, and saved me some time on the bracket support. Had both problems arisen at the same time.

Pre-drilled holes, with countersink, for the screws to help strengthen the bond along with a quality wood glue.

Steel corner bracket for insurance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2198.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	161909   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2209.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	161910  

Name:	DSCN2213.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	161911  
Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBell View Post

This is not a common problem - since 11/11/11 we have slept in our bed 1019 nights with no problems we weigh more than OP

Since designs and materials change I do not see how you can go back years and years and say there is a real problem
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
This is not a common problem - since 11/11/11 we have slept in our bed 1019 nights with no problems we weigh more than OP

Since designs and materials change I do not see how you can go back years and years and say there is a real problem
I am really happy you have not experienced any problems with your bed. I mean that sincerely.

Between this site, and others, including Facebook pages, there are plenty of people with a problem concerning the construction of their beds.

You know as well as I, that most won't visit sites, or tell others about their problems. Just a guess on my part, but I'd say the percentage of those who have bed frame problems, & let others hear about it, are probably in the single digits. It IS a problem, and it DOES deserve attention.

Tags
winnebago, storage