Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Winnebago & DEF

I just purchased a used 2014 Journey 36M during the orientation the dealer pointed to the DEF tank and said "that's the DEF tank". I knew little about DEF then but I know now.
DEF helps to reduce pollution from diesel fuel, I think that is a good idea and I'm for anything that helps the environment.

The problem occurred when I discovered the tank on the passenger side is not compatible with truck stops that have the fill on drivers side so you have to go in he opposite direction to fill it which makes the truckers mad and I can't blame them.

The solution is I now have a 5 gallon container and fill it when I get diesel then walk around to the passenger side and fill the tank it is a bit more trouble but an easy fix to a design flaw.

When I trade my 2014 I will be sure to have the DEF on the drivers side.
lee3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 249
I'm new to this too, and you're right. The Tour that we looked at had DEF on the passenger side, but ours ended up on the drivers side. I still have to pull forward to reach it, but never gave which side a second thought. That would be kind of a pain.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Ranger Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Where the Rig is Parked
Posts: 233
Ours is the same way. I don't fret about it. I just carry a box of def with me and usuallly fil it when we are in a campground somewhere.
__________________
Steve and Joy
2011 Itasca Meridian 40u
Where we are now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
Rick FLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FLA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee3100 View Post
I just purchased a used 2014 Journey 36M during the orientation the dealer pointed to the DEF tank and said "that's the DEF tank". I knew little about DEF then but I know now.
DEF helps to reduce pollution from diesel fuel, I think that is a good idea and I'm for anything that helps the environment.

The problem occurred when I discovered the tank on the passenger side is not compatible with truck stops that have the fill on drivers side so you have to go in he opposite direction to fill it which makes the truckers mad and I can't blame them.

The solution is I now have a 5 gallon container and fill it when I get diesel then walk around to the passenger side and fill the tank it is a bit more trouble but an easy fix to a design flaw.

When I trade my 2014 I will be sure to have the DEF on the drivers side.

I have a 2013 36M love the floor plan. my DEF is like yours on the wrong side at truck stops like Flying J ETC: But i also use the 5 Gal can methiod but went to the hardware store and picked up a dc powered turkey fryer oil pump and it works great to pump the DF out of the can (sure beats holding it up under the slide out when you are filling it up at the camp site) I also have seen them at outdoor world or pro Bass.

Rick From FLA
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 249
anyone know how much these hold on the Winnebago? Mine was reading 1/2 on the dash, but only took $8. That's the only time I've had to fill it. We have the 400 ISL.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
audvid1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 52
2013 42E has a 8 gallon tank.
Used to fill up at flying J, but like you said had to pull forward with compartment door open and try not to hit anything.
We have recently changed to when it shows 2 bars (1/2 Tank) we just pick up 2.5 Gallons at Wal-Mart and add.
Wal-Mart store brand DEF is 7.88 for 2.5 gallons, so just over 3.00 per gallon and much easier to do at campsite then at truck pump.
__________________
Paul & Debbie
2013 Journey 42E
audvid1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
2013 42E has a 8 gallon tank.
Used to fill up at flying J, but like you said had to pull forward with compartment door open and try not to hit anything.
We have recently changed to when it shows 2 bars (1/2 Tank) we just pick up 2.5 Gallons at Wal-Mart and add.
Wal-Mart store brand DEF is 7.88 for 2.5 gallons, so just over 3.00 per gallon and much easier to do at campsite then at truck pump.
Thanks Paul!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 80
I too have a DEF tank on the wrong side. What I have done at truck stops is to fill from the DEF pump on the lane to the right of me if there is no truck there. I have also driven in from the wrong direction, but most truck stops I have seen are too busy to be able to do this.
__________________
2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y
2014 Honda CR-V
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Newbie31ul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Delaware, OH
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I too have a DEF tank on the wrong side. What I have done at truck stops is to fill from the DEF pump on the lane to the right of me if there is no truck there. I have also driven in from the wrong direction, but most truck stops I have seen are too busy to be able to do this.
Our 2011 Meridian 34Y doesn't have a DEF tank, but I'm curious. Doesn't yours have the dual fuel fill? We can fill our gas tank from either side of the RV.
__________________
Rob, Rik & Gabby (French bulldog)
Delaware, OH
2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y
Newbie31ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
vsheetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Ours is the same way. I don't fret about it. I just carry a box of def with me and usuallly fil it when we are in a campground somewhere.

Same here. Not a big deal, but would be better if DEF tank on the left side.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie31ul View Post
Our 2011 Meridian 34Y doesn't have a DEF tank, but I'm curious. Doesn't yours have the dual fuel fill? We can fill our gas tank from either side of the RV.
I think the problem is the DEF is usually on the left in the trucking lanes, so unless you back into it, it doesn't matter that you can fuel on either side.

I must have the only Winne Model with DEF on the left.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie31ul View Post
Our 2011 Meridian 34Y doesn't have a DEF tank, but I'm curious. Doesn't yours have the dual fuel fill? We can fill our gas tank from either side of the RV.
How do you not have a DEF tank? This was required for all chassis' manufactured after Jan 1, 2010. We have a 2011 Journey Express 34Y as well, there is an 8 gallon DEF tank in a rear passenger side compartment, second from the back. The DEF guage is a series of four lights in the lower center of the console display (four lit is full, one bar - you better find some DEF very soon). We also have dual side fuel which is very nice, I don't mind dealing with DEF at all. Have refilled at truck stops, and also via box, using long funnel helps.
__________________
John & Kathy, Scrappy, Bandit, and Pixie Puppies
2011 Winnebago Journey 34Y
2007 Ford Edge Toad
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
How do you not have a DEF tank? This was required for all chassis' manufactured after Jan 1, 2010. We have a 2011 Journey Express 34Y as well, there is an 8 gallon DEF tank in a rear passenger side compartment, second from the back. The DEF guage is a series of four lights in the lower center of the console display (four lit is full, one bar - you better find some DEF very soon). We also have dual side fuel which is very nice, I don't mind dealing with DEF at all. Have refilled at truck stops, and also via box, using long funnel helps.

The DEF requirement is on engines manufactured after 1/1/2010. The chassis builders stockpiled engines in advance of the change. Then Winnebago stockpiled chassis using engines built before 2010. Took a while to filter down.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise
 
rream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 346
I think you are barking up the wrong tree, Winnebago buys the chassis from freightliner - they put the def on the passenger side
__________________
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
277 Campgrounds, 1350 nights camping since 2009 and 61 K Winnebago miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winnebago


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DEF tank location on 2012 Itasca Meridian 40U roblaura Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 6 06-01-2015 07:00 PM
DEF message TinStarArabs General Maintenance and Repair 22 03-09-2015 08:47 PM
DEF 46490 General Maintenance and Repair 13 02-13-2015 08:50 PM
Rant '12 Journey DEF tank on wrong side! erstanfo Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 10 08-18-2012 03:00 PM
First DEF Eura coach in the works hitension General Maintenance and Repair 10 09-27-2010 09:33 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.