Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Sunscreens

Hi,
My name is Charlie and I use a 2006 Adventurer 38J. I live in Oregon where windshield sun screens are not needed however, we are taking an extended trip this summer. I want to order windshield suncreens for the front windshield as well as Pax and driver side to use use when parked. MCD is out of the question because of their cost. I am looking at a product called RV Quick Screens which are installed on the inside of the coach windshield. That product is easy to install and allows you to clean the outside of your windows without taking it off. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what product is the best to use. As I say I am looking at RV Quick shades and possibly a magne shade which is installed from the outside of the coach with magnets. It has to be easy to install without pulling a ladder out. Thanks to All that reply..
cnjcampione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have used sun screens for years, you get what you pay for. Outside is the only way to in my opinion. A sun screen on the inside is not as effective, the heat is already inside. I made a tool out of 3/4 PVC pipe and ground down the end to remove them without having to get the ladder out and climb, works like a charm. There is a LOT of heat that enters the windshield.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

First off anything installed on the inside will only block the sunlite, it will not prevent heat transfer to the inside. Magna Shade is an excelent product and easily installed without the need for a ladder, but they are pricy.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Before I got the MCD shades I used inside sunscreens. While they may not as effective as outside screens they certainly do block a lot of heat and are much more convenient to use. Mine had suction cups and took a couple of minutes to put up.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

X-2 on the Magne shade.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I also have a 38J. I have been told that sun shades on the inside, while convenient, allow the sun to heat up the glass more and the heat radiates into the rig more. An outside shade stops more heat outside the window and the window does not get as hot and does not radiate as much heat inside. I would agree with the other posters that you would do better with an outside shade. There are several brands that have different type of connectors to choose from. I just bought the bullet and got one with toggles. The ladder must come out but it is easy to put up and tales very little time. By the way, consider getting shades for the larger windows on each of the sides too. There will be lots of times that you will be sideways to the sun and your patio awning doesn't go down far enough to shade the windows in the afternoon heat.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You might check with Arizona RV. I ihad them make screens for both my motorhomes. They are not cheap, but they are quality products. You can order them, but I just went there and had them custom made to the motorhome. Arizona RV Parts Center Windshield Covers-Sunpro Class A Motorhomes & RV's. Custom quality for excellent prices! no financial interest - satisfied customer.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We have Prompt sunscreens but many times if it is extremely hot or we are on the road I use the big RV screens from Wallyworld that have reflectant on one side. They are very inexpensive, you can't see out but they block a lot of heat.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

I have a full compliment of Prompt RV Sunscreens.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Another happy user of Prompt Sunscreens. Have done well on Oregon Coast...rain, wind, and sun
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Magna Shade is great. All of about 30 seconds to install and you can have any picture put on them. Take a close look at mine
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Seriously look at Magne Shade. As stated the full front windshield takes less than 30 seconds. It takes longer to get the fabric out of the carry case that is provided then it does to put them up.

You never have to leave the ground to install them and a YL of only 5' and some inches can put them up. (Another chore you can give the DW-oops, don't let her see this.)

As everyone has stated, an inside screen will not be as effective as an outside screen. Although this is hard to believe, the BLACK color is more effective at blocking the UV then other colors, so it will keep the inside portion a little cooler.

Happy trails.

Besides Magne Shade being an excellent choice, you will no be able to beat the customer service the Roger and Clare will provide you.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Another happy Magne Shade customer here. They are really nicely made and customer service is excellent. We managed to lose 2 of the magnets and they immediately replaced them for free. Very impressed.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I bought a roll of the silvered bubble wrap stuff from Lowes and cut pieces to fit all of the windows in the cockpit. I'm sure it's not as effective as an external cover, but it was quick and cheap and it does help. We kept comfortable at the beach for a week in July.

If I wanted something more permanent and external, the Prompt RV Screens look like a good deal.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Another happy user of Prompt Sunscreens
Me too
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

One's feet never leave the ground when using a Prompt! That said, it helps to put the Prompt on (sometimes) before you level the rig. Seriously, there are times that the rig gets so high on its jacks that I have to put a folding step on the ground to make it up to the 1st cleat on the stairs ....

I was just wondering .... is there such a thing as an upside down mirror cover! Goodness, you probably need a 6 foot step ladder to even think about putting on the mirror covers.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Just got off the phone with Roger at Magna Shade. My pattern material is on its way.
Roger was very helpful and knew what he was talking about. Customer service is
what it's all about. Thanks for bringing up this option.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Elf
Winnebago Watcher

Here's one more for Prompt Sunscreens. I looked at Prompt and Magne Shade and with with Prompt. The price difference was huge and they have worked great. Quick on and off with no ladder required. Quick service and prompt with answering questions.
Couldn't be happier.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Our Journey is now 8 years old ... we bought a Prompt sunscreen when it was new ... the screen is easy to put up ... and shows no sign of age ... it is in the Arizona and California sun for at least 3 months each winter ...

Along with probably a month each summer in Wisconsin and Minnesota
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #20

We gave our virtually NEW Prompt Screens away! We had the windsheild cover, and both front side window covers. These looked very cheesy as the Winshield cover had STRAPS that went across the side windows, so when it came time to install the side window covers, they would go OVER the annoying straps causing the side window covers not to fit flush. Also the suction cups are just flat bad engineering, and you still had to have a small ladder.

We own Sunguards with the stainless steel snaps, and all three window covers fit FLAT and nice and tight! The material is much heavier and these look totally custom. I can put these up faster than I could the lousy Prompts. Love em!!!
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote