Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

I have the Magna Shade screens all around, but I seldom use the side screens and no because of blowing off, it is just our preference to pull the curtain to the side post. As for the Windshield, originally I had it blow off. After talking with Roger it was decided to put an extra pocket magnet half way down the outside edge. First he sent me two magnets that we just tried without them being sewn into the fabric. They worked fine. He then asked me to ship my screen back and the sewed the magnet pocket permanently into the fabric. So far so good at 45+ mph.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

I hardly know where to begin. Our Vesta came equipped with MCD shade on the windshield, nice but really not so good in reducing interior heat gain. We live and RV in So. Cal so we have to deal with pretty intense summer heat. An earlier RV we had was equipped with the outside mounted mesh type material and while nice in cutting down interior light was less effective in reducing heat. For the Vesta, I made a screen using a large roll of insulating foil material I got at camping world. After cutting and trimming to fit it to the windshield we had a heck of a time getting it to stay up. We tried to use Velcro but that didn't hold. What we finally did was to fit the screen with grommets and suction hooks. Viola! The heat gain has been greatly reduced probably aided by the reflective material and it's insulating property. I recently was camping in Arizona, the temps. were in the low to mid 90's. We were very comfortable and the ACs cycled easily. There may have been snickers but we were cool.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
How about some pictures?
They are way back in my archives since I made the screens in 2003!!! I'll have to go though many years of pictures! I'll try!
Ellen
adventurous2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurous2 View Post
They are way back in my archives since I made the screens in 2003!!! I'll have to go though many years of pictures! I'll try!
Ellen
Thanks Ellen
Old 05-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

We have never had anyone laugh at the ones we made, but have had many ask where we got them. After saying that we made six for less than $300. and Magna Shade quoted $740 for just the wiindshield, driver and passenger windows,several of our friends decided to do their own.
The fabric with the pretty pictures is also available, and Magna Shade charges extra for that.
If the windshield is taller than 4ft. they have an additional charge of $100.
Guess the choice is make your own or pay the price.
My DW may have a few words for anyone that would snicker at her sewing abitilies
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

I wholeheartedly agree. I think the spirit that makes us go out and explore the country is the same that makes us try to make these type of things ourselves and frequently they turn out even better than the factory made items. We could just stay home and watch the travel channel, but we want to do it ourselves.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
It all depends on if you want a quality product or if you want something that other RVer's will point at and snicker!
In retrospect,I think my post was a poor choice of words. If I offended anyone, I apologize. But I will not apologize to the one individual who posted the offensive, personal comments.
It would be nice to see some pictures of the screens that people have made.
Oh, and it's a beautiful day at the Custer's Last Stand Battlefield in Garry Owen, MT
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

i find this a most interesting topic; especially, for those of us who enjoy creating improvements to our motorhomes.
LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #49
Winnebago Watcher

Our new to us motorhome came with inside shades and an outdoor one. I was wondering... how do you put on the outdoor one? Our previous motorhome was a old class C and it was simple to put on & reach. Our new motorhome sits a whole heck of a lot higher! I saw people mention that "the ladder may have to come out". What ladder? Where do you store a ladder that would reach that?

TIA

Kat
Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

In Florida in the summer we need all the help we can get. Exterior SunScreens really work. on our 40 ft rig in 95 degree F temperatures they lower the interior temp by at least 20-25 degrees. We tried the bubble foil inside, curtians, plastic.... nothing worked like the exterior shades. makes summer camping in Florida possible. good shoping. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

az bound

What magnet ( diameter / thickness) did you use?

We may be making our own as well.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks in advance

greenhorn
2004 journey 32T
greenhorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Sold the house, had a yard sale, moved to World's of Fun RV Village in KC, buyer's financing went south the day before closing! Nine weeks in the rig with a very hot summer in Midwest this year; bought my roll of silver bubble wrap at Sutherland's and what a difference it made. Does not have the "cool" factor like a more permanent answer but will work for now. Moved back in to our home and now replacing stuff that was sold. Best part is my garage is pristine! LOL
ArmyGuy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy51
Sold the house, had a yard sale, moved to World's of Fun RV Village in KC, buyer's financing went south the day before closing! Nine weeks in the rig with a very hot summer in Midwest this year; bought my roll of silver bubble wrap at Sutherland's and what a difference it made. Does not have the "cool" factor like a more permanent answer but will work for now. Moved back in to our home and now replacing stuff that was sold. Best part is my garage is pristine! LOL
Sorry to read that your house sale fell through. It's great that your garage is now pristine looking at the bright side.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

We use Prompt Sunscreen as well. Works great... on and off very quickly... less than a minute.
dboliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn1 View Post
az bound

What magnet ( diameter / thickness) did you use?

We may be making our own as well.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks in advance

greenhorn
2004 journey 32T
We used grade N52 1" dia. x 3/8" thick in the fabric pockets and
used 1" x 3/16" steel on the glass, held in place with mirror adhesive.
On the side windows I used 3M double sided exterior grade tape on the window frames so that the windows could be opened to allow ventilation without removing the shades.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote