Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Leak Repair

I have a 2015 Adventurer 38Q with a windshield leak. I know exactly the point where it's coming in. I've taken it in for service and explained the situation with photos. The back cabinet panel has been removed so it's easy to see how and where it's entering. I thought they would remove the black molding, clean and seal along the space below the front cap. On the work order they state the following: "Pull inside and outside pillar remove both moldings clean out old urethane reseal with urethane and reinstall both molding 3 hours labor $40 material".

Does anyone know exactly what this entails? Are the "pillars" the black vertical pieces at the ends of the windshield? I The black molding along the top of the windshield and cap terminate behind the black vertical pieces. Are these pieces the pillars? Trying to visualize what the work entails. I will ask the service manager explain but thought I'd ask here if someone had similar work done. Thanks
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Sounds like you have the right idea of what they did. Hope the extra urethane seals it up and it lasts. Do you have the 1 piece windshield?
We have to re-name these, instead of calling them "windshields" we need to refer to them as "Rain and Wind Shields" Maybe then they wouldn't leak!!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

See the thread on this forum titled "new member of the leaking windshield club" it is about a page behind this page. It will describe the problem and fixes in detail.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I was wondering if you have an update? Did the repair work?
I have a 2014 37F Adventurer that appears to have a leak in the same area.
There is a gap between the cap and the channel that holds the rubber trim piece.

Thanks
Bill
bzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzny View Post
There is a gap between the cap and the channel that holds the rubber trim piece.

Thanks
Bill
We have not had enough rain lately to be sure but this week we should. A quick way to temporarily test is to put some duct tape above and over the rubber strip. If that stops the leak remove the tape and make the repair more permanent.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-...-329812-4.html

The above link should take you to a very thorough discussion of the problem.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzny View Post

Thanks
Bill
It hasn't been tested in a prolong or heavy rain yet although I did hosed down the front cap and windshield. Putting tape over the top of Reveal molding should stop the leak which i'm thinking of doing anyway in addition to fix by Lazy Days. Here's what they did per their writeup:

"Inspected one piece glue in windshield and found water leak at top d/s and center of windshield, found screw holding aluminum reveal molding carrier rusted at d/s top causing leak, removed d/s interior and exterior a-pillars then removed reveal molding across top of windshield, found urethane used to seal top of windshield separating from pinchweld, found multiple gaps in sealant used to bond top of cap to pinchweld above carrier, carefully removed urethane above windshield and sealant above carrier, removed rusted upper d/s carrier screw then repaired and primed small section of surface rust, cleaned body and glass then masked off both, sealed above windshield and carrier with urethane then removed tape, installed new carrier screw then sealed with urethane, reinstalled reveal molding and interior/exterior a-pillars. Glass Shop $255.00"

This is the problem with the reveal molding. Water runs down over the cap seeps into the top of the molding. Because the molding fits tightly into the aluminum carrier the water doesn't leak out the bottom but rather collects/fills up into the space between the top of the carrier and the bottom of cap. Any voids or cracks in the urethane will cause the water to leak into cab collect on the metal shelving and spilling down onto the front

The first time I encountered a leak it was under warranty and I took it to Forest City. The appointment was 3 months away. I put a piece of blue masking tape over the top of the reveal molding and never a leak. Had plenty of rain in that three months.
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank You Kent
Your problem sounds exactly like mine. Now to just explain this fix to a reputable repair shop.

Bill
bzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I can announce that the leak we had above the windshield has been fixed. We had over 1 1/2 inch of slow steady rain the past few days, the sort of rain that always caused the leak before. I just checked and the dash is dry, I felt the shelf above, dry and I had previously put an air vent in the back of the upper cabinet to promote ventilation and access to the area. Previously after a good rain that area had water, today, dry as a bone. Hallelujah!

Tags
leak, repair