Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Adventurer 37B that has the dreaded rusty frame and leaks. La Mesa RV where we bought it, said that they resealed the windshields and and the leaks were fixed, We drove from Ft.Lauderdale, FL in 3 days of driving rain and 2 days of dry weather to get to Tucson, AZ. The windshields leaked like crazy and have continued to leak. We had them checked by someone La Mesa sent out while in Tucson and he said there wasn't anymore room under the rubber trim piece for more sealant and La Mesa wouldn't pay to remove the windshields and do a proper job. Now we are in Long Beach, CA and still have leaks. I took the inside trim off the windshield and found several rusty areas on the inside frames. I sanded and cleaned these areas and treated them with rust inhibitor. After reading this forum, I am wondering what my next plan of action should be? I am thinking of doing the POR-15 saturation on the outside of the windshield and then using the Etenabond tape.
Has anyone contacted Winnebago about what seems to be a design fault with Winnebagos?
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
I have a 2005 Adventurer 37B that has the dreaded rusty frame and leaks. La Mesa RV where we bought it, said that they resealed the windshields and and the leaks were fixed, We drove from Ft.Lauderdale, FL in 3 days of driving rain and 2 days of dry weather to get to Tucson, AZ. The windshields leaked like crazy and have continued to leak. We had them checked by someone La Mesa sent out while in Tucson and he said there wasn't anymore room under the rubber trim piece for more sealant and La Mesa wouldn't pay to remove the windshields and do a proper job. Now we are in Long Beach, CA and still have leaks. I took the inside trim off the windshield and found several rusty areas on the inside frames. I sanded and cleaned these areas and treated them with rust inhibitor. After reading this forum, I am wondering what my next plan of action should be? I am thinking of doing the POR-15 saturation on the outside of the windshield and then using the Etenabond tape.
Has anyone contacted Winnebago about what seems to be a design fault with Winnebagos?
You should read the thread I posted sometime back regarding my father-in-laws experience in buying a used motorhome from La Mesa RV (Northern California) that turned out to have a rusted-through windshield frame and leaks. Since they had to replace a windshield BEFORE delivery and knew exactly what was going on but didn't say a word, long story short: La Mesa ultimately reimbursed 2/3rd's of the repair costs... wasn't easy to get them to do that, and went all the way to just before filing in small claims court.

Regarding anyone contacting Winnebago, I did, on behalf of his 2006 Winnebago and then my 2005 Itasca. Let's just say that Winnebago will tell you to the end of time that they are not aware of any issues, nor will they pay a single dime in repair costs, or at least that was my experience on our two Winnebago products. Repair costs can run up to as high as $4k, depending how bad the frames are rusted through and how extensive the metal repair, along with if the windshields break when they are pulled out.

There are a few threads on this subject and while a lot of people will tell you how great the quality is and Winnebago has the best customer service... ah, not on this issue. Winnebago had a faulty windshield design from model years 1999-2009, but you'll never hear that from them.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
I too, contacted Winnebago about the problem and they denied any participation in repair of the problem. That is actually the response I suspected I would recieve as the motorhome is well out of warranty. Your issue appears to be with La Mesa as they did a "band aid" repair and not a proper repair of the problem.

I know others have tried what you are proposing as a repair and it seems to have worked for them. Time will tell if that type of repair will hold up over time. Many others have been "lucky" in that their windshields were broken or cracked and needed to be replaced under their insurance coverage. In those cases the rust was taken care of at a very reasonable cost before the new glass was installed.

In my case i chose to "bite the bullet" and have the repair properly done at General RV in Wayland, Michigan. Both windshield halves were removed, the rust eliminated, the metal work was then treated and repainted. Glass was then re-installed and properly sealed. I now have a nice dry motorhome, repaired properly and hopefully permanently.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

We also have the dreded leak

We just got our mh back from our local fix it shop for a problem with the levelers. We were planning our next trip but then it started to rain (finally, we are in California and we are happy with whatever we get). We decided to check our the mh to see if we had any leaks and sure enough there were drips coming from the top of the windshield. We took it back to our shop and they were able to see where the leak was coming from but said that it would have to go to a glass shop to have the windshield pulled out and resealed. Hopefully they will do it correctly and we won't have anymore problems.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Make sure they don't simply reseal the glass. If they try that alone the sealing material will not bond completely and will be compromised by the existing rust. After the glass is removed the rust needs to be completely cleaned out. The metal needs to be treated and then repainted before the windshield is reinstalled.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

The coach is going to a glass shop to have the windshield removed, clean the area behind it and then resealed. Our rv shop realized that it was beyond their capability so they sent it out. The glass place they contract with has been in business here for a very long time so I think it will be done correctly. We can only hope.....
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Glad to read all the information here as I've probably got the same problem on my 2004 Itasca Meridian. Since I've had the passenger's side glass replaced due to cracks several years ago by Winnebago (they said, and charged for extra labor for the metal repair) but now I'm getting a small drip just behind the windshield fan on the driver's side. Currently I've taped around the clearance lights to be sure the leak isn't there. No rains lately to check that out.

Also, has anyone tried the automotive glue-on drip rail as was suggested in a prior post?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Glad to read all the information here as I've probably got the same problem on my 2004 Itasca Meridian. Since I've had the passenger's side glass replaced due to cracks several years ago by Winnebago (they said, and charged for extra labor for the metal repair) but now I'm getting a small drip just behind the windshield fan on the driver's side. Currently I've taped around the clearance lights to be sure the leak isn't there. No rains lately to check that out.

Also, has anyone tried the automotive glue-on drip rail as was suggested in a prior post?
I stripped the rubber off the drivers window, cleaned the area, retaped the rubber holder, sprayed liquid rubber in there, and caulked above the rubber holder. I still had the small leak and we were about to go south for the annual trip. I took some black eternabond tape and cut it to a one inch strip. I then taped across the top of the black rubber to the fiberglass. If it wasn't pointed out to you, you would not notice. This stopped water from going in behind the rubber and no more leak. Just lived thru the storm in SoCal and no sign of water. I will probably take it all apart when the good weather shows up at home and repair properly. I did use some food coloring in water to actually locate where it entered. The glue on strip would probably work if the rain was coming straight down, but would do nothing with driving rain?
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

I currently have taped around the clearance lights but no rain and too cold to stand and run water over them. As soon as it warms somewhat I may use some electrical tape to run along the top edge of the rubber strip across the top of the windshield and start running water with the garden hose.

I've had at least 5 rock chips repaired on the driver's side (the passenger side windshield was replaced by Winnebago due to cracks several years ago) so maybe before long one of the repaired chips will start to run and I can get a new glass paid for by insurance with the metal repaired at my cost.

Almost seems like that rubber strip around the windshield causes more problems than it helps with. Kind of like home repairs, if there's any gaps anyplace fill it with caulking.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak