Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Windshield heavy condensation

We are full-timers in an 03' Itasca 33u up here in the Seattle area.

Our windshield gets tremendous condensation during the winter months.
We are using an Eva-Dry 1100 in the bedroom which is a great dehumidifier but the windshield is another matter. It also of course transfers cold very well to the inside of the coach.

So we have just ordered one of the new larger Eva-Dry 2200s but I am wondering if there is something we can do to cut down on the heat loss and condensation. I thought of a shade bra for the windshield but that probably won't help with this issue. I also thought of replacing the windshield with a dual pane glass windshield if they are made. The front end of our coach is not made to the safety standards of a car I don't think so maybe I could get away with it.

We pull the drapes at night.

Perhaps the new larger dehumidifier will solve the problem, not sure.

Any ideas?
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I found that if I slightly cracked the drivers window underneath the drape at night, it prevented the moisture buildup and we did not lose much heat. By crack I mean an 1/8 of and inch.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have greatly eliminated condensation both in the bath room and on the windshield by the use of a Frigidaire 24 pint dehumidifier. But it does have to be moved to the different positions, it won't work for the whole coach (36') from just one position in the coach. Its absolutely amazing how much moisture these things remove from a coach to keep the humidity down around 60-70 percent.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don't know where you got the idea that your windshield is not equal to a car. Both use the same type of safety glas and on a Winnebago product the glass is installed into a metal frame. You will not be able to buy double pane windows for the windshield.

The windshield bra idea is a good one if you intend to put the insulating on the inside of the windshield (several brands have snap on insulation panels).
Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have had some success by running a small fan (setting on the dash), blowing onto the windshield. Low setting was enough, crack a window ever so slightly. This may seem a waste of heat, but by the time the heat gets to the windshield it is wasted anyway.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The first step in controlling the condensation is to eliminate the sources in the RV. The human body puts a lot of water into the air as part of the living process. Next, run the vent fans when cooking and bathing. Wipe down the shower when you finish showering. We use a squeegee.

And keep a vent in the coach cracked open. The warm moist air rises and will vent. This will cause you to run the heat a bit more.

The big problem with the condensation is you are only seeing what forms on the windows. It also forms within the walls and can eventually cause structural problems.

Ken
Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have lived on a boat and dealt with much of this before but now we are full-timers and need the most effective strategy we can muster.
Here is a list of do's I have put togther so far. Please feel free to add more if you think of something. We have also put a 4" layer of gravel under our coach to allow drainage from water during the rainy season...hey this is Seattle so that means most of the year. Anyway, here is the list:

Condensation Management Strategy

Put small Eva-Dry 1100 up front on dash.
Open a window in driver area cracked 1/8".
Probably crack passenger window cracked with stick in it. Drivers window could be safety issue.
Large Eva-Dry 2200 in Bedroom under desk.
Bathroom vent turned on while showering.
Shower door left open after leaving bathroom in morning.
Shower squeegeed or wiped down after shower.
Remove wet clothes, wash rags and wet towels hang outside in ben's (dog's) kennel.
Install Vent Cover over bathroom vent and crack at night.
Run fans during cooking.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote