Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Windshield fogging

I just had the windshield passenger side replaced and it is now fogging up. It has been installed for several months and I never noticed anything abnormal until this vacation. On our first night at a Walmart, the next morning I noticed the passengers side was all fogged up but the drivers side was clear.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Cant tell you anything on the fog, but I do have a drip on the derivers side window that I am currently trying to find where the leak is coming from...I have put tape across the window over the seal to see if that stops it..Hope you find your problem, sounds like air coming in through the seal and mixinbg with warmer or cooler air in the inside...Bud
budsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Clean the window. The buildup is on the surface of the window and causes the fogging.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
I just had the windshield passenger side replaced and it is now fogging up. It has been installed for several months and I never noticed anything abnormal until this vacation. On our first night at a Walmart, the next morning I noticed the passengers side was all fogged up but the drivers side was clear.

Thanks,

Ron
Inside? or outside?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The fog was on the outside.

Windows were clean inside and outside.

The original window had a leak where it was mounted to the frame. The window that was replaced, had the frame sanded and treated for rust, resealed.

Ron
Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Condensation on 1/2 the outside of a windshield , depends on outside temps , inside air circulation , even having the unit parked in proximity of a street lamp or shade tree, slight imperfections ( sand pitting of the older glass), can cause differences in the way dew settles on your coach. Unless you get a repeat of the exact situation several times . JMHO you don't have a problem.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

condensation on the out side is cause by high humidity and the air blowing inside the coach is getting the glass below the dewpoint of the out side air...this it condenses on the glass. You get the same thing on the inside during the winter if it is colder outside and the dew point inside is high.

A cure for the condensation on the outside is to:
1. redirect the A/C so that it is not blowing on the windshield.
2. raise the A/C temp inside

and a distant 3rd. Don't camp at WalMart.

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:

Thanks,

Ron
You will get many correct answers for why the windshield fogs on the out side.
The puzzle is why the new passenger side fogs while the old drivers side does not.
I suspect that it has more to do with the flow of the inside cold air than the age of the glass.
However, you could try a glass cleaner/treatment like this:
Anti Fog Glass Cleaner, Ammonia Free Glass Cleaner, Glass Cleaner

Mel '96 Safari
Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

There are several "Anti-fog" treatments one of which you (or a prior owner) may have used on the windshield.

Fogging is caused when warm moist air hits cold glass. Most of the treatments I've seen have to do with surface tension (reducing the adheasion of the water for the glass) letting the "Fog" run off bnefore you notice it.

Very very very very clean glass.. Water will not bead up on, and "Fog" is very tiny beads.. However getting glass that clean (And yes, I've done it) is not something I'd recommend you do, the stuff needed is kind of nasty (I did it in a lab in college physics class.. Then I coated it with SILVER and made a very thing electrical conductor that demonstrated the HALL effect,, Got a nice "A" for that project).
Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

I was mainly concerned if the new glass was the correct glass replacement. The replacement was supposed to be the exact type of glass of the original.

Ron
Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Treat your entire windshield with Rain-X, according to instructions. Even if environmental conditions repeat, any condensation will simply bead-up and run away by itself. Tip_ rub Rain-X on (elbow grease) until it stops beading-up and makes a smooth film and you will not experience the smeared windshield many complain about after it has been polished clean.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The driver's side has never been treated, but the rain does bead up on it, and does not bead up on the passenger's side

I will treat the new window and see what happens.

Ron
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

I was mainly concerned if the new glass was the correct glass replacement. The replacement was supposed to be the exact type of glass of the original.

Ron
Ron
I am not a glass expert but I doubt that your new passenger side windshield glass itself is much different than the old one.
I don't think the market for MH windshield glass is large enough for glass companies to offer different "types" of glass to fit your coach.

However, if a cheaper method/formula to make cheaper windshield glass has been found, all glass companies are using it to "increase the bottom line", (even if the "new glass" is inferior to the old).

Mel
'96 Safari