Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I didn't like that the 2 fans by the upper windshield only worked with the key on. So of course I had to modify it.

I first removed the instrument panel.

I removed the back connector on the fan switch. The center wire is the power wire when the key is turned on.

I cut that wire and capped it.

I spliced into the 12 volt wire going to the cigar lighter and installed a fuse going to the fan switch.

I reinstalled the instrument panel.

Now I can run the fans anytime I want.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I didn't like that the 2 fans by the upper windshield only worked with the key on. So of course I had to modify it.

I removed the back connector on the fan switch. The center wire is the power wire when the key is turned on.

I spliced into the 12 volt wire going to the cigar lighter and installed a fuse going to the fan switch.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

That's a good mod - sometimes when we forget to open a vent a little we get quite a bit of condensation on the windshield in the winter. It would be nice to just flip the fan switch instead of messing with the ignition.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thats great, I've been asking the electricians that I work with how I could get them to work with out he ign. switch also. Your solution is simpler that anything they told me to do. New mod for me. Thanks for posting the solution.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

That wire going to the cigarette lighter has lots of uses.

I have two things attached to that conductor ... ... my CB radio and a three way 12V outlet that I purchased at Radio Shack (satelite FM receiver, a small inverter that I run when using my laptop for GPS, or my brake buddy alert) ... they are both on fuses.

Now I can use either without having the switch on (I did this to avoid the dinging that I have when the ignition is ON and the jacks are DOWN ... really got on my nerves)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Huh,

Our fans worked without having to turn the ignition switch on. We however never usedthem and have since replaced them with two small halogen spot lights that are adjustable. they work great for lighting up the front area which can be very dark at night.

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, this is probably too obvious, but did you connect the fused wire you spliced into the 12V cigar lighter power wire to the same wire you cutoff on the fan switch? These wiring connections aren't always obvious to an old geezer like me :-).

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGRED1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, this is probably too obvious, but did you connect the fused wire you spliced into the 12V cigar lighter power wire to the same wire you cutoff on the fan switch? These wiring connections aren't always obvious to an old geezer like me :-).

TIA! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes The wire that was still attached to the switch was fused to the wire I spliced from the cigarette lighter. I am sure the cigarette lighter was fused somewhere but i couldn't find it.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

jimandsue60

Thank You for sharing a great idea,I did the modification today and they work great.Also you got me motivated and I found the "CB" wires so I finally installed my Cobra CB.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ed, glad it worked ot well for you. Those fans really move some air around.

Enjoy
Jim

Our Webpage