Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Windshield cracking from rock chip

Well here we go. Less than 5000 miles and I will have to have the windshield replaced next spring. Were passed by a semi and it threw a rock which hit the upper windshield on the drivers side. I do not want to think about the cost of the huge one piece of glass. I have drilled the running crack and got it stopped. Talked to Winnebago today and they said they would be able to replace it next spring for me. I would rather have them do it than a glass place. They hopefully know more about the vehicle than a glass dealer. Could have been worse but it is not fun, but this is the first windshield I have had to fix in all the years and miles on motorhomes including a trip to Alaska. And nobody was injured by glass.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Have you looked into the glass coverage on your insurance policy? I'd be interested to hear if it's different than on a car policy.

if it is I may have to call my insurance company and see what I can do about that.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

my question with progressive i paid zero for the right side the key was if it sits there is a clause you say it just happened not last year
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Glass replacement

I always contact Duncan systems They have the windshields in stock and replace more than Winnebago. Recommended by my insurance company
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have State Farm and it is the same as our auto ins, no chip repairs covered, just have to cover the deductible. Thanks to bluetooth I spoke to my agent within minutes of it happening.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
Well here we go. Less than 5000 miles and I will have to have the windshield replaced .....Talked to Winnebago today and they said they would be able to replace it next spring for me. I would rather have them do it than a glass place. They hopefully know more about the vehicle than a glass dealer......
My experience, when I took my Vectra to Winnebago for windshield replacement a few years ago, was they pulled the unit into their shop and called a local glass repair shop to come and replace the windshield. Go figure

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I picked up a rock about a month ago, started as a pit, was going to have the pit repaired the next morning, but when I got up, the pit had grown to over 20". I called Progressive and the put me in contact with Duncan Systems. They arranged to have a new windshield installed when I got back home at a local Safelite dealer.

About a week late, they called and said the windshield had been delivered to them, I took the MH to them at 0800 and by 1030, it was done. So far no problems after about 350 miles.

Since I have a declining deductible, the entire cost to me was $250. The windshield in my motorhome is a one piece about 60" tall, it's a big one.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have had 2 windshields replaced in my 08' Phaeton. One piece windshield (no center style/support) Both replaced in Red Bay, both covered by warranty, tech says would have cost $2200 just for the glass; each time. Just to give you an idea of cost to replace...
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Some installers will give you a "life of ownership" warranty against defects and leaks. I would insist on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

goldwingerx2,
I know how you feel. We were on our maiden voyage a few months ago with our new to us, '04 Itasca Horizon, carrying our Goldwing, and, while on a deserted stretch of highway, where some workers were taking a break from working on the road, we slowed down because of warning signs of men working on the road, when a big truck, coming from the opposite direction, did not slow down one bit and threw up a rock, into our flawless driver side windshield, about 6" above eye level and about 6" to the left of looking straight ahead from the drivers point of view.

I was so ticked off because we were out in the middle of no where, and two vehicles, coming at each other, on a section of road with loose gravel, and one picks up a rock, AND I HAPPENED TO BE IN THE EXACT RIGHT SPOT, AT THE EXACT RIGHT MINUTE, GOING THE EXACT RIGHT SPEED to receive this rock. I almost killed the dog, and we don't even have a dog!

Anyway, a day or two later, we were camped in an RV park just outside to the west of Alburquerque, NM. There was a company was replacing the windshield in a new Phaeton in the same RV park. I talked to one of the gents doing the job and he directed me to a nice lady that was running the operation. Well, she came over and took a look and said, yep, I can do it for $35.00. She jumped right on it, and I almost can't see it, and I know where it is.

So, to you and, anyone else who might be interested, If you receive a chip, and it's repairable, get it repaired ASAP! It doesnt' matter whether the insurance will cover it or not, the sooner you get it done, the less chance it had to become contaminated, start running in any particular direction and obviously, it's small so the fix will be small. Tangle with the insurance company later if, you can't get some approval soon. If, as in your case, it runs, well bud, you're out of luck and will have to get it replaced.

I've had two windshields replaced on our previous Bounder. Both were done by a quality glass shop in downtown San Diego. The work was flawless. I don't think you need to wait for Winne to step up to the plate. I think and, in fact know, that you can get it done nicely and accurately by many qualified RV glass techs.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Rock chip in windshield

Folks,

I can feel your pain also at this time. I was taking my Itasca to the dealer for warranty work 2 weeks ago and on the way took a rock in the windshield. In the next 30 minutes the crack spread 15 inches either side of the pit. Needless to say the DW was not happy, but at least the windshield held until I got to the dealer. It is now in for warranty repair and a new windshield. Like others, my cost is the deductible with GMAC.

Thanks

Bill
maclonchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We drove into the RV park we are staying only about 80 miles from where we got the chip. Got the RV parked, visited briefly with mom and other relatives and when to a near by RV dealer (Monaco) and they recommended a facility to repair the chip. Called them and they would be out the next morning. However the next morning we had a crack now about 15 inches long. Not repairable. They recommended I go to Walmart and get a chip repair kit and see if I can just stop it from running more. They did not want to touch it because they could not warranty it would stop. I did that and it has so far stopped the run. My crack/chip is on both sides of the plastic in the middle which is why they could not warranty it. One of the reasons I am waiting to go to the factory is the closeness of it to home. They are actually closer than the dealer to us. We may have some warranty issues show up by next spring, so far the factory has taken care of the 4 that we had all minor.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions. We are now past the pain of the rock chip and will start really enjoying the weather. Now if I could just keep the Goldwing clean so we could ride all the time.