Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via ICQ to dunngar
Windshield cracked... Custom made replacement?

My question...

I have a cracked windshield. Of course... A 92 winnebago itasca brave. The rust problem did it of course... But I want to see about changing out the window with polycarbonate, instead of a regular windshield. Plus I want to know if anyone knows the exact measurements of the window. You could melt/bend polycarbonate, and it doesn't crack or anything.. The only thing that is wrong with it is scratches. But there won't be anything to scratch it with. Its almost bullet proof.

If i know the exact measurements... i'm figuring to give it a try.
Anyone can help?

dunngar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Is a plastic windshield legal? I’d be surprised if it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunngar View Post
The only thing that is wrong with it is scratches. But there won't be anything to scratch it with. Its almost bullet proof.
Other than road dirt and windshield wipers, you mean?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Might not be legal. Polycarbonate is very strong.. and doesn't crack or shatter. Only problem with it, is that it could scratch easy. That's not going to be a problem for a windshield... unless your wipers have sand paper on it.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Your wipers do have sand paper on them... it's called road dirt.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

good point. Road dirt would do it over time.
This one polycarbonate won't have a problem with scratches, its called Makrolon. Look at
Old 07-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

i'd rather take a chance... It cost less than 50 bucks... and you can use a heat gun to warp it slightly into place when you install it. Some can throw a brick at it, or even hit it with a sledge hammer and it deflects it like a wiffle ball. Amazing stuff.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Have you thought about actually seeing through it, especially after bending it?

You sound like legal or not, workable or not, durable or not you're going forward.

Best of luck.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

A piece of polycarbonate big enough and thick enough to replace a windshield probably costs a heck of a lot more than an actual windshield. Why don't you take it to an automotive glass shop and get a price to replace.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We just had both windshields replaced on our 2004 Itasca at Duncan RV Repair in Elkhart, IN.

They did a great job. The driver's side was cracked and when they took it out the passenger's side cracked due to rust around the frame. It was a blessing in disguise because the rust was just starting and they were able to clean it up, paint it with an anticorrosive paint and replace the windshields.

I know you need to fix the rust around the framework and really seal your windshield well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Got to be able to see out those big things.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If polycarbonate was good to use the manufacturers would be using it. I am sure it does not meet DOT standards. Even if you could get it to fit you will likely have problems getting it to seal properly.

Get an OEM or OEM equivalent replacement. Be careful there is a lot of junk out there made oversees. I replaced my windshield last year. Guardian makes a lot of OEM glass for RVs. Coach Glass makes a lot of cheap knockoffs.