Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Cover

I have been looking online at a multitude of windshield covers for my 2005 Winnebago Adventurer. I want the kind that provided privacy from the outside but a full view looking out plus sun reflection. I would like some opinions on different brands and material from those of you that have them.
Thanks in advance,
Paul, Andrea and the fuzzy kids
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Take a look at Shade Pro , I got mind last year and it works perfect for keeping the front of the MH cooler
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

RV Windshield Covers by Sunguard Shade Products

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check out "Prompt RV Shades" .... I have had mine for 10 years ... easy to install ... privacy from outside during daylight.

Prompt Sunscreens
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

One company mzkes the sun shade with magnets. No holes to drill, no snaps to fool with. Pricing on many of the sun shades is way to high for me,
? There wasa post from a member who made is own Cheap. Didnt appear to be hard to do. He gave sources where he purchased the material, the magnrts. Do a search on IRV2.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We made our own. Purchased the sun shade material from Sailrite. I did not want to drill holes for snaps or stick on industrial Velcro so we added quality suction cups with stainless screws into the back of the cups. Simply attach to the exterior of the windshield and you can see out but not in. Certainly improves the cooling of our coach. All done for around $100.00! Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

MagnaShade has screens that mount with magnets. No need to drill holes, mount snaps or get up on a ladder. They can be mounted in less than a minute. Also you can have just about any print that you want. Check out their website.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We also got the SunGard covers. We Blogged about it here:
Walkabout With Wheels: Customer Service Hall of Fame Inductee: Sungard RV Windshield Covers

Saw the magnet one on another rig and I liked it.

Walkabout With Wheels
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

+1 for Finhawk. The MagneShade is super easy to put up. We've been in 40+ winds with no problem! they don't even move... at all.
The best thing is that there is no ladder needed. They are put up with an extending aluminum pole. It takes me longer to unlock the basement and get the shade out than it does to put it on.
As a side note. We were at the TRVN rally in Sevierville and a gentleman fell off his ladder while putting up his windshield shade. He has a compression fracture of a vertebrae and will need to wear a back brace for 6 to 10 weeks. Very unfortunate.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You might also consider putting in an MCD shade inside. Definitely a more costly approach than an exterior shade but will greatly enhance your enjoyment of your coach. Normally they come with a night shade (solid) and a day shade that you have described but you could order one with just the day shade but I wouldn't recommend it. If you are planning to keep the coach for some time, you will find it is a great investment and you will use it more frequently than one you have to install outside every time. I' m sure others who have retrofitted coaches with MCD shades would support this alternative.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
+1 for Finhawk. The MagneShade is super easy to put up. We've been in 40+ winds with no problem! they don't even move... at all.
The best thing is that there is no ladder needed. They are put up with an extending aluminum pole. It takes me longer to unlock the basement and get the shade out than it does to put it on.
As a side note. We were at the TRVN rally in Sevierville and a gentleman fell off his ladder while putting up his windshield shade.
He has a compression fracture of a vertebrae and will need to wear a back brace for 6 to 10 weeks. Very unfortunate.
That in itself would be enough reason to spend the extra money for the cover with magnets.

We used Shade Pro when we had it done in Salome, AZ this past winter. They had a pattern on hand for our MH. They even made covers for the driver and passenger side windows and the wiper blades.

RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We love our Magna Shade! High grade materials, goes up easy and does not need snaps or drilled holes. Lots of colors to choose from too.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I know when we bought our first motorhome we were deciding between the outside shades and inside shades. We deciding on the inside screens that are held up with suction cups. Never had to worry about rolling up wet screens or putting them on or off during bad weather. They have always stayed up. They did block the light out good, gave you privacy during the day time, and always stayed up. Now on the new unit we have the MCD shades.

RVQuickShades, RV Qiick Shades,inside mount solar shades, inside mount sun shades, inside mount sunshades, inside mount RV solar shades, inside mount motor home sun shades. RV solar shades, RV sunshades,RV Quick Shades, RV Quick Shades, Inside Mounte

We even purchased some of the shades and suction cups for the wheel well covers on the patio side.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for the info and many options on windshield covers. I have a lot of research to do
Regards,
Paul
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Oops...I just posted this on an old thread, forgot that I was reading this newer one.

Wondering where I can get magnets...

Quote:
I just got quoted over $500 for a magna-shade and also found the same fabric they use here for about $35 - enough to do my windshield:
TextileneŽ 90 :: Solar Screen & Roller Shade Fabric :: Arizona Sun Supply

I'm pretty good at industrial sewing so I can add edge binding and magnet pockets.

I was wondering where self-adhesive magnets might be found.

Yeah, my brother-in-law is a entegra owner so he didn't mind paying over a grand for all his front windows. If I can do it for under $100 I'll be delighted.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Someone on IRV2 sent me info on where they bought Magnets. Here is the info.
The magnets are sewn into pockets on the fabric. Go to Home (Home)
and you will see how it is done.
You want magnets that are axially magnatized. I did not orient the ones in the pockets any direction, just sewed them in. After the panel was finished it was held in place on the windshield with duct tape. Then the magnets were installed on the interior in the correct orientation.
The magnets are very powerful and you will need needles that are not magnetic for sewing.
My windshield is one piece, so I used 6 magnets across the top, evenly spaced, and one on each bottom corner. 16 magnets total.
Harold

---Quote (Originally by az bound)---
---Quote (Originally by EDALLSAILS)---
Where did you purchase the magnets? How big do they need to be? what holds the interior magnets to the window? Appreciate your answer. Ed
---End Quote---

I purshased them at K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets (K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets)
I chose Grade N42 1" dia. x 3/8" thick.
I used 3M exterior grade double backed tape on the interior.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I you or anyone in your coach has a pacemaker, I advise checking with your doctor before using magnetic shades.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Someone on IRV2 sent me info on where they bought Magnets. Here is the info.
The magnets are sewn into pockets on the fabric. Go to Home (Home)
and you will see how it is done.
You want magnets that are axially magnatized. I did not orient the ones in the pockets any direction, just sewed them in. After the panel was finished it was held in place on the windshield with duct tape. Then the magnets were installed on the interior in the correct orientation.
The magnets are very powerful and you will need needles that are not magnetic for sewing.
My windshield is one piece, so I used 6 magnets across the top, evenly spaced, and one on each bottom corner. 16 magnets total.
Harold

---Quote (Originally by az bound)---
---Quote (Originally by EDALLSAILS)---
Where did you purchase the magnets? How big do they need to be? what holds the interior magnets to the window? Appreciate your answer. Ed
---End Quote---

I purshased them at K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets (K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets)
I chose Grade N42 1" dia. x 3/8" thick.
I used 3M exterior grade double backed tape on the interior.
Thank you Harold, that's excellent.

How did you arrive at the size? Boy do those guys have magnets!
So their rating for the 1" x 3/8ths thick is 37lbs. The 1/4" are 27lbs. How do you decide what is enough? I realize it has to grip through the glass.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation

You want rare earth magnets. Just Google and many will turn up.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Check out "Prompt RV Shades" .... I have had mine for 10 years ... easy to install ... privacy from outside during daylight.

Prompt Sunscreens
I love my Prompt Sunscreens too. The front one is so easy to put on, no ladders, no poles, nothing.

I am unhappy with the side ones though, they have been sent back to Bill and I have had trouble with the suction cups staying put and 'draping' of the sides, and still nothing could be done. We doubled up on the suction cups and replaced them, which helps a lot. The suction cups need to be replaced about every year or so especially when they are used as much as mine are, I am in my coach maybe 4 weeks out of the year, the rest of the time it sits with the shades on.

I love the front one, so easy, so quick, no ladders, snaps, poles etc, but if I had to take the best of all worlds, I'd choose the Prompt RV Sunscreen for the windshield, and us the magnet mounted ones for the driver and co-pilot windows instead of the Prompt RV ones.

Here are the magnet ones:

Home

Here is Prompt RV:

RV Sunscreen | Our Sunscreens, Shades and Covers

Good Luck!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote