Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I am going to make my own. Can some one tell me if the MagneShade have magnets in the shade it self, or just ones stuck to the windsheild? I was thinking of using magnet on the windshield and just washer in the shade so it won't stick to itself. It may need it both places to stick better, just want to see how the real thing is made.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

My RV has MCD shades all around, both the mesh and the solid shades. Our rig is facing west in Texas '93 weather, and frankly the two A/C units couldn't keep up yesterday. I had the mesh curtain down. Can I expect significant improvement with the outside see thru Magne Shades as opposed to the interior mesh MCD?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Yes you can expect a difference -

MCD or Automation dual shades help with cooling inside the coach. But the heat is already inside.....then the AC has to work harder to keep your coach cool.

A shade on the outside stops the heat before it gets through the glass!

Its even cooler when you can use both, interior and exterior.

IMHO

Adam
Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Yes you will. Keep the light and heat outside. If the heat gets really bad head out to the nearest big box store and pick up a roll Reflectix Insulation. I haven't needed it during the summer but late fall or early spring cold weather camping it helps a lot keep the heat in and the cold out.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
My RV has MCD shades all around, both the mesh and the solid shades. Our rig is facing west in Texas '93 weather, and frankly the two A/C units couldn't keep up yesterday. I had the mesh curtain down. Can I expect significant improvement with the outside see thru Magne Shades as opposed to the interior mesh MCD?
Try putting the night shades on the sunny side down as well.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

I have a brochure somewhere! They have lasted many many years! Probably a good decade! Except for the drivers side, windshield, and the two passenger shields, All the rest stay on during travel!... Excluding tire shields of course!

DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Hi - what did you finally decide to do for your windshield? We have the inside MCD shades, but that doesn't address the HEAT that is coming in the front window in the morning. Thanks, Cathi
Mike_Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL Z View Post
I have a brochure somewhere! They have lasted many many years! Probably a good decade! Except for the drivers side, windshield, and the two passenger shields, All the rest stay on during travel!... Excluding tire shields of course!

What brand/who makes these? They look great.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Those look like SunGuard covers
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
What brand/who makes these? They look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
Those look like SunGuard covers
We have SunGuard window and tire covers. The we got MCD shades and rarely use the SunGuards now. We still use the tire covers all the time.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

We made our own after researching threads on the subject. AZ Bound had some valuable info. They made theirs and used magnets purchased online. Google kJ magnets. I think we used n50 grade 1in dia x 3/8" thick. Purchased fabric from sail rite if I remember correctly. If I can sew them together, anyone can. Not as hard as I thought. Hopefully AZ bound will chime in
greenhorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I have the magnets and have found a source for the material. Only question now is will our home sewing machine actually sew this stuff. The lady at the company we will get the material from told us we could use a 14 or 16 needle and go slow. Four upholstery shops in town and no one will sew for us.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I was wondering about sewing it also. I doubt a regular machine will work. Might need a commercial grade sewing machine for canvas and similar materials. I would love to hear anyone's experiences. I thought about using a long clamp to fold the end over then using some sort of glue to hold the seam together. Might work if you could find the right adhesive.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I thought about plastic weld but I need the equipment.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Smile Make your own window shades?

We are also looking at the options.
I made wheel opening covers a couple years ago. Bought the material from BigBoxM store, Heavy duty screen stuff supposed to be "pet resistant". I doubled it, folded it to size, with all ends folded between the layers. I used safety pins to hold it while sewing. Probably could get by with one layer but I wanted the extra sun protection. Local canvas repair shop sewed it for us, than we put snaps on. Worked GREAT, looked great! I think we had a bit over $100 in the set of 4.
Be SURE to put the snaps on the material first, than put the male half on the coach. Do NOT just measure; put first snap on the coach, attach, than mark the other corner, etc. Custom made ones like this will not likely be exactly the same so do each piece individually, and mark your pieces RR, RF, etc.

NOW, Traded coaches, wondering about getting the material and doing the windshield cover rather than spend the $1000 for 3 piece windshield & side windows + wheel openings, wipers & mirrors. Want the magnets or something, no ladders & snaps for the windows. Too old/lazy to climb the ladder all the time.
Good info on here about sources, thanks everyone.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

I have more or less absconded with wifey's Bernina. It will sew pretty much anything that will fit under the foot. Canvas, nylon strap, sunbrella, etc.
Perhaps someone in the family has one or you can borrow one.

I even sewed the bolt cord into new slide-out awnings with heavy UV poly thread.

Sailrite is a great place for material and hardware. Good instruction too.

I have added zippers to canvas, and made boat covers, tool rolls, etc.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Sailrite indeed is a great vendor for all your protective cover needs. We bought their sewing machine for $850.00 twelve years ago when we lived aboard. It continues to make our windshield, mirror and wheel covers. I'm so glad we made that investment because it's paid for the initial expenditure many times over and above. FWIW we use heavy duty suction cups purchased thru Amazon, EBay or other folks in the cover business. There inexpensive, no holes, but need replacing every year or so.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
MagnaShade has screens that mount with magnets. No need to drill holes, mount snaps or get up on a ladder. They can be mounted in less than a minute. Also you can have just about any print that you want. Check out their website.
We received our Magne Shades last week. What a different the shades (front, drivers and passenger door/window) have made. No longer does the front of the coach bake. While DH is doing hookups, I can get all of the shades up with no ladder or difficulty.
Mike_Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote