Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Windsheild wipers stopping on wrong side

I've searched for this, but the answer I found doesn't seem to be the problem with my wipers.

Both wipers stop on the outside of the front window instead of the center. This happened during a rain storm, after the rain had slowed and I went to the intermittent slow position on the turn signal. Then when I turned them off, they stopped as I wrote, above.

Is this wholly mechanical or is there an electronics component that controls the stop? I've checked it mechanically and everything seems fine.

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

I don't know if this guy's post will help or not but you can read it while you are waiting for more responses:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/anoth...it-130499.html

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
I don't know if this guy's post will help or not but you can read it while you are waiting for more responses:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/anoth...it-130499.html

-harry
Thanks for that, Harry! I'll check that out Saturday. I had only searched in the Winnie forum.

Scott
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

motor linkage problem

I have an '05 Winn Adventurer and went thru similar problems with my wipers. The blades would be working fine and then after a time they would be hitting the centre windshield trim, parking on the far left and right or just not sweep. I would get the linkage aligned on the motor shaft, tighten the nut and all would be fine for a time.
The motor shaft is grooved (knurled) & tapered to bite into the short linkage to the pantograph arms. I thought the arm had matching nurls, but not so. Turns out the linkage is a relatively soft metal so that the shaft bites into the link. Over time it can keep grinding away if the nut is nott kept tight, until the hole is to big to get a bite on the link.
I purchase a new linkage, re & re'd and all fine for the last 3 years.
simbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I recently replaced both wiper assemblies in their entirety, along with all the hardware and seals from the wiper motor shaft out. If it turns out it's nothing more than a stripped or damaged knurled insert, you can buy a complete hardware kit. Winnebago #149401-01-700. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 4.36.19 PM.png
Views:	279
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	40170  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like Saturday is going to be a busy day. At least I know what to look for, now!

Scott
Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I just want to thank all of you! Y'all were dead on right on what the problem was--the nut on the drive shaft for the wipers was loose. That is what allowed the drive arm to slip on the shaft until it could slip no more.

The entire repair took about an hour. The hardest part was getting the nut on the connecting link mating joint. That took about 20 minutes due to the location; between the link arm joint and the drive arm. The nut on the drive arm is held on now with blue 243 thread locker.

Thanks again!

Scott
Old 06-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
I've searched for this, but the answer I found doesn't seem to be the problem with my wipers.

Both wipers stop on the outside of the front window instead of the center. This happened during a rain storm, after the rain had slowed and I went to the intermittent slow position on the turn signal. Then when I turned them off, they stopped as I wrote, above.

Is this wholly mechanical or is there an electronics component that controls the stop? I've checked it mechanically and everything seems fine.

Scott
Hi Scott:
I had this one and the solution is easy. Remove the wiper arm from the motor shaft and put it back on a couple splines to the left. Do that until it works right.

Cheers
Leo
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl View Post
Hi Scott:
I had this one and the solution is easy. Remove the wiper arm from the motor shaft and put it back on a couple splines to the left. Do that until it works right.

Cheers
Leo
Thanks, Leo! That's exactly what I did today.

Scott