Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Window "weep" vent covers

Is anyone aware of where I may buy those little plastic covers for the Atwood window vent holes? The next question: How to keep them from going bye-bye. This Adventurer is the third motor home with similar window design that involves these pesky little covers. I am assuming that they serve some useful purpose, such as keeping moisture from running into the slots, but they are easily bumped off or lost in the washing process. Any ideas?
cardiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

They are quite helpful in reducing or eliminating wind noise from those weep holes. If you have lost any, I'd suggest you replace them.

Any good RV shop should be able to order them for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I only have one left. I can't see any advantage to them. I've driven my rig up to 65 and once to 75 when I wan't paying attention and never noticed any wind noise.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

They come and go on my coach. Most of the going is because I washed over them with to much enthusiasm breaking one of the tiny tabs that hold one on.

I pick up a dozen at a time from my Winnebago Dealer. Make sure you get right and left sides. They are different.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Anybody have a picture of what these little things look like? We're picking up our new coach next week, and did notice some wind noise in the model we test drove, so I'd be interested in knowing what to look for.
WantaWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I don't think their purpose is to eliminate any wind noise. It appears the purpose they serve is to keep moisture out that may come in when it rains or when the coach is being washed. From what I can tell, they are designed to cover that little slot in the bottom portion of the window. Since the glass pieces are sealed, dual-pane, I don't think the slots are to allow passage of condensation from within the window panes, but maybe from around the aluminum frame. That's a guess. Does anybody have the correct answer?
1999intrigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have replaced driver's side and passenger's side windows due to fogging of the windows. Once forgot to replace the weep hole covers, and the owner complained about wind noise which was not present prior.

Once we replaced the weep hole covers no more complaints.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The weep hole covers are solely to reduce wind noise. On my 2010 Journey Express, they are critical to a quite ride on the drivers side where the disturbed air from the mirror hits the weep holes. They weep holes are drains. Putting water into them when washing will not have any effect. You only need the covers on weep holes where the air flow causes the weep holes to, for lack of a better term, sing.

I almost didn't buy my coach after the test drive because of the wind noise. An astute technician installed weep hole covers on the two forward most weep holes on the drivers side and the noise disappeared.

I've installed a few on other window weep holes but I really can't tell a difference on any windows other than the drivers window.

I also keep a few handy because they are easy to dislodge. And, you do need left and right side versions. Any dealer can order them for you and they are very inexpensive.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'm confused--if you put covers over the weep holes, don't you defeat the purpose of having the weep holes?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I lost one & put masking tape over it...the wind noise was horrible. What a stupid design.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure of the purpose and I'll defer to other posted comments, but the covers are not a solid piece of plastic. There are left and right side covers. The are tapered at the front side of the vehicle with an opening on the back side. There are small holes on the bottom.

I'm guessing that the wind rushing across the flat hole of the frame is like blowing on a beer bottle neck opening and by putting the cover on it re-directs the air flow. JMHO

Weep hole covers differ from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the style of window. Here is what one type looks like. Weep Hole Cover

The ones on my MH look different at the snap on point.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Wayne,

Thanks for the link to the pictures. Now I get it.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All, There are right and left sides and there are rear and top mount versions. I was able to buy them from Mega RV when they were in business.
As I recall these were invented by the owner or founder of Atwood and serves the purpose of stopping wind and rain from forcing water back thru the Weep Hole. There was a story in Motorhome or FMCA Mag years ago about how the first one was made from an empty soda can and then reproduced in plastic. Another bit of almost useless Trivia.
I usually silicone them on.
Robert
Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Hey thanks! I was wrong and my wife wasn't even there! Go figger. That's never happened. (ha) She has complained of wind noise from the passenger window. I find that the only missing weep hole cover on that window is behind the mirror where it wasn't obvious to my old eyes. Wallah! A cover should fix it. Now just to find them is the problem. I have checked several internet sites including PPL, who does no carry them. Apparently they are specific to the Atwood windows. Does anyone know where to get these Atwood covers?
1999intrigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Atwood weep hole covers are available at www.megarvparts.com I believe they are about $5.00 each. It looks as though they have gone ut of business. sorry
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Another place to try would be Atwood, the number is 1-800-546-8759. Good luck.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote