Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Window Valance

I am needing to restring one of my day/nite shades. The valance I need to remove is in the bedroom and is about two feet long. I have the 38R and the valance is between the tv and closet,on the drivers side. I can't see how it's attached to the wall? I'm thinking I need to get it out of the way to remove the shade. I tried doing a search but did not find the answer I need.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You can remove the shade without removing the Valance. Two screws holding the shade to the valance.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No need to remove the valances. The shade is secured to the valance with screws, which are usually hidden by the shade material.
If you move the last plead aside until you see the metal frame of the shade, the screws will become visible as well. Sometimes they are located between the last fold of the shade and the wall, which makes them more difficult to see. I have seen them both in front of or in back of the shade material on my coach.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am needing to restring one of my day/nite shades. The valance I need to remove is in the bedroom and is about two feet long. I have the 38R and the valance is between the tv and closet,on the drivers side. I can't see how it's attached to the wall? I'm thinking I need to get it out of the way to remove the shade. I tried doing a search but did not find the answer I need.

Malibu Maxx Toad
We have an '07 38'
I got so tired of havine the dealer try to restring the shades we did it ourselves. winnie has the break down on restringing. We headed to the local fabric shop picked up better quality string did all the shades NO more problems.
ARROWVP38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Best string to use is 130# test dacron fishing line. You can buy it at
cabella.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Don't forget to ream the holes. The burrs are what caused the cord to break in the first place. If you have bushings, you better use them. This is not a fun job, but it can be done by a layman. I did it so just about anyone can. Best of luck. Al
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help! I do see the screws. I had this problem on our other MH, The valance was easy to remove, and that made the off and on of the shade a lot easier. It seems like every manufacturer think they have a better mouse trap. I did buy replacement string online, but will be looking for that 130# dacron fishing line next time I go to Caballas. I,m sure there will be more "stringing" in my future!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Thanks for the help! I do see the screws. I had this problem on our other MH, The valance was easy to remove, and that made the off and on of the shade a lot easier. It seems like every manufacturer think they have a better mouse trap. I did buy replacement string online, but will be looking for that 130# dacron fishing line next time I go to Caballas. I,m sure there will be more "stringing" in my future!
Good luck 'Stearn' -- restringing is doable with patience being the operative word. In my case, I almost threw my first restringing project in the trash until I stepped back and swore it wasn't going to get the best of me!! Definitely go with a high quality/strength of fishing line for a long lasting repair.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I just had a guy do one of mine in Quartsite. Since I am a large fellow (6'6", 275lbs) I would never have been able to contort into the positions that he and his wife got into. The shades are attached with 2 screws, one at each end of the shade and there is also a clip in the middle. He used a screw driver to unclip the middle. The stringing could be complex at first. Be sure that every hole lines up on both sides. Leave plenty of length in your strings so you don't come up short. Check those little plastic tie downs for cracks as well. They are the clear plastic "knobs" where the bottom of the shades are tied down. IF you see a crack, replace them.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
LR
Winnebago Camper

I hace been reading the responses so far, but have not seen any response to the question of how to remove the valance. I have also had to remove and replace these shades without removing the valance, and it would have been much easier if the valance could be removed. If anyone has figured how to remove them, I sure would like to know how they did it.
LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

After restringing 3 of my shades I've looked at how to remove the valance's. I never did figure out an easy way and gave up as I removing the screws and popping the center clip was pretty easy. As was previously stated, you have to be fairly small build combined with the agilities of a yoga expert, contortionist, and gymnist to get at the screws during the removal/replacement.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

On all mine, you pretty much have to remove the shade first in order to then remove the valence. My shades were all attached to the valence top with a screw through each end of the shade. The valences are attached on the top to brackets that are attached to the wall. The larger valences in the lounge/galley also have brackets near the bottom of each side piece.

About 18 months ago I replaced all my OEM shades with MCD shades. It was a hassle removing all the valences, but easier than it would have been to just remove shades and mount the new brackets for the MCD shades ... and well worth the trouble. We really like the MCD shades.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Yes! Save yourself some trouble and look into some MCD shades. I redid my coach with them. They're awesome. Anyone need some OEM day/nights for a 2009 Vectra 40WD?

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Another vote here for the MCD shades. I had three of the pleated shades break strings in a 30 day period (they lasted 7 years). We were upgrading some interior stuff anyway and love the MCD shades.

Also agree that removing/installing shades of any type in those valences is a tough job which can cause one to utter nasty words .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
Yes! Save yourself some trouble and look into some MCD shades. I redid my coach with them. They're awesome. Anyone need some OEM day/nights for a 2009 Vectra 40WD?
What are mcd shades?How much are they , where can they be bought
Old 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Try this link. They are another type of shade. Take a look. In my opinion, about a million times better. Say good bye to restringing...

MCD Innovations

2009 Vectra 40WD
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

FYI, when I was comparing the price of the MCD solo shades (we did not want/need the day/night feature), they were almost identical in price to the OEM type pleated day/night shade (based on a Camping World price for the pleated shades).

I realize that is perhaps an apple to orange comparison but with heavily tinted windows and window awnings, we just never closed the shades unless we wanted either privacy or to block all light. The MCD solo shades does that very well.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

jimjr, thanks for info
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

You're welcome. Great shades and not priced too bad.

2009 Vectra 40WD
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Part of the job of replacing the analog TV with a digital TV in the bedroom required taking down the day/nite shade and horizontal valance which does not have any vertical side extensions. I looked and looked underneath the top of the valance for screws and couldn't see them. Finally, by carefully feeling through the fabric on the underside of the valance I could feel the two elusive screw heads. I had to use a utility knife to cut an x in the fabric to expose the screw heads, unscrewed the screws, and the valance was free to come down.

2005 Adventurer 33V
2005 Honda CRV toad
Cheryl Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote