Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Window Shades - Driver's Side Window

My 2000 Itasca Horizon has window shades of some kind above the driver's side window, and the entry door. They appear to be completely rolled up; there's nothing sticking down to get hold of to unroll them. I can't find anything in the owner's manual about them. I don't want to just go yanking on anything until I learn how they are supposed to work. It feels like they may be like roll-up shades at home, but I can't find the end of them. I appreciate any info and help.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

They are just like the window shades at home, except they are sun-filtering screening rather than opaque. There should be a solid bar across the bottom edge that you pull down on, but that may have rolled up out of reach. You should be able to just rotate the roll of screen material by hand--up on the inside so that it unrolls down between the roller and the wall/window.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Chris. That's what I suspected, but didn't want to tear them up trying to find that bar. I think I may have to take them apart to get them straightened out.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
My 2000 Itasca Horizon has window shades of some kind above the driver's side window, and the entry door. They appear to be completely rolled up; there's nothing sticking down to get hold of to unroll them. I can't find anything in the owner's manual about them. I don't want to just go yanking on anything until I learn how they are supposed to work. It feels like they may be like roll-up shades at home, but I can't find the end of them. I appreciate any info and help.

GFS, are you sure that they are not powered?.. Any "mystery switches" around?...rgr
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrstndgby View Post
GFS, are you sure that they are not powered?.. Any "mystery switches" around?...rgr
I was hoping that was the case, but haven't found the switch yet! Thanks for your reply.

GS
Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I seriously doubt they are powered. My '03 has sun-screen type shades on both sides of the cockpit that retract into a "box" at the top ...if you pull them and just turn loose and let them retract on their own they can retract almost into the box. If you can get hold of them and pull them down, you should be good to go. On my coach, there are fabric panels in the "box" that are held in place by velcro. They are not easy to pry out, but can be removed if you need to get to the shade roller itself.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The roller on my mesh shade on the driver side window decided that it did not want to roll up anymore ...

I called for new ones and it was big bucks ... so I took the shade down ... and noticed that the mesh was easy to remove from the roller ... I went to Lowe's and bought a shade and had them cut to the same length ... I removed the shade that came with the new roller and used double sided carpet tape to attach the mesh to the roller ...

They have worked fine for about 4 years ..

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Window shades -driver's side window

Have the same shades. I took the wooden strips out and replaced them with 1/2" pvc tubes so they can't roll up into the box. I got a little anal and painted them black so they would blend in.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

OP: Thanks for the help!!

Thank all of you for the help. I got them straigtened out. They are not powered; they had just retracted too far. I was able to manually turn the roller to the "unroll" direction; when the shade unrolled enough, the end with the brass pull came out of the box. Then I could pull the end of the shade down, and they will roll back up. Problem solved!

Now I'm going to post another request for help with the front TV surround.

Tags
window