Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Window shades/blinds?

Looking to replace my window shades/blinds. Bought some roller shades from Select Blinds and they're very cheaply built. Was looking at buying 1" mini blinds from them but have decided to seek better quality. What brand/manufacturer would you recommend and style? Day-night, mini blinds?
Figured many of you have been down the route and can save me time.
Thanks,
Bart
2003 Itasca 34' HD Class A
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
we have day/night MCD shades in the MH but we've bought all of the window blinds in our home from Lowes. you might also check http://www.blinds.com

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well Bart,
We himmed and hawed for quite a while with the same dilemma and, by a sort of lucky stroke, we ran into a vendor at the Yuma swap meet called "Shade Pro". They had some roller blinds that are identical to MCD roller shades. Only they're about 1/2 the price. Well, after about 10 minutes of discussion, I gave them all my window dimensions and, he stated he could have all of them (about 6 windows all total, different sizes) within 4 days! I said WHAT?????
I told him MCD was at least 6 weeks back logged. He said, So, we can have them at your doorstep in 4 days. He was right. They arrived four days later. And they've been outstanding. Easy to install and, there's a day roller and a night roller. They are adjustable for speed in retracting and, where they stop at, when all rolled up. WE love them. Should have done it years ago.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!

Scott,
Thanks so much for your post! My wife and I drove all around yesterday looking at roller shades. Your post has shed some hope on our search. I'm going to look at their website and call them today
THANKS
Old 10-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

My 2014 Vista 35B has MCD roller shades. I had a problem with the one mounted by the dinette. I must say MCD customer service is not very consumer oriented. I spent over a month waiting for parts, every order for parts was messed up and required follow up. I could not get them adjusted after replacing the parts myself, they refused to allow me to bring the single shade to them ( I live close by) with out an appointment and MY MOTORHOME. The shades can not be adjusted when installed, so I do not understand the need for the motorhome. The directions for replacement and adjustment did not match my shade, nor did the replacement parts. I finally took it to a local RV repairman and am keeping my fingers crossed. The local repairman told me that MCD service has suffered significantly since being acquired by AirExcel.
JRBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had our door window shade seriously binding, wouldn’t retract.

I unscrewed the 4 Phillips screws and took it off. Tapped the end off the roller and drilled the holes both of the plastic end caps slightly larger. Wound up the spring tensioner and WOW!! It is smooth and operates easier than when new
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I also need two new shades for the windows in the slide, of course the biggest one at 62 x 25. I really didn't want to spend a ton of money for MCDs or day/night so I looked at blinds.com and the local Lowes.

I ended up buying two black out cellular shades from RecPro for under 100.00. I don't really need the day portion because we had all he windows tinted with 20% film.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have an appointment set for Solar Shades this Friday. Extremely frustrated with Select Blinds. The replacement rolled shade I requested came the same too short size 😬. waiting for the third one. From China! Solar Shades measures your RV’s windows and offer installation.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbart View Post
I have an appointment set for Solar Shades this Friday. Extremely frustrated with Select Blinds. The replacement rolled shade I requested came the same too short size ��. waiting for the third one. From China! Solar Shades measures your RV’s windows and offer installation.
I bet they'll be pricy. Not everything made in China is bad quality, with that said I am getting new tires Wednesday and I am buying Toyos (made in Japan).

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I fully agree that not all China products are inferior quality, but these blinds are a joke. I’m willing to pay the extra cost for quality roller shades. Ordering them online and being custom built to your measurements/specifications is intimidating. If they don’t fit as measured, you have just assumed liability for the order. Just not something I need to deal with.
As far as the Toyo tires the are highly recommended and have tons of great reviews. I just had them installed and balanced on my coach. I’m impressed with the quality and ride.
Thanks,
Bart
Old 10-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Windshield curtains

Here we go again 🥴. I appreciate all of the responses I’ve been receiving. Now I realize my windshield/cab curtains have some serious deterioration 😬. Who and what vendor would you recommend for replacement curtains? I can keep my track and draw mechanism. Thanks in advance.
Bart

Tags
window