Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

One of the day/night window shades on our Journey won't stay up. Is there an adjustment or repair? What say you?

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

One of the day/night window shades on our Journey won't stay up. Is there an adjustment or repair? What say you?

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 05-25-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Make sure the string running up and down each side of the shade is tight. If it has stretched you can unscrew the spool at the bottom and turn it to tighten the strings. Do both sides to equal tight.

There is lots of info on IRV2 regarding this issue. Try a search.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Steve & Sherry. I recently broke a spool and bought a couple replacements. All you need to do is untighten the spool(s)and pull it out slightly and then turn it to tighten it up to the desired tension.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The spools on my Vectra (and I assume most other Winnes) have 4 plastic posts that secure it in the part that mounts on the wall. If you loosen the center screw you can pull the spool out a bit and then tighen or loosen it a quater turn at a time.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You rarely , if ever, have to loosen the spool screw. The proper way to add or subtract tension to to add or remove loops of thread on the spindle.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Right on, Tom! ...all you have to do is to wrap another loop of cord around the spool on one side, then push the shade up and pull it back down to allow it to adjust the slack throughout the shade. If it needs more, do another loop and raise & lower the shade again, repeating until it has the tension you desire.

I adjust only one side at a time. The raising & lowering seems to even it all out between the two sides.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the inputs, esp. AFChap. I wrapped one loop of cord around the spool and that was enough to return everything to normal. Thanks again, all.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
You rarely , if ever, have to loosen the spool screw. The proper way to add or subtract tension to to add or remove loops of thread on the spindle.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tom,

I have to strongly disagree with that! Adding (or removing) loops without turning the spindle restricts you to to increments of a full loop and requires stretching it even more to get it over the edge of the spindle. It's much better to make use of the adjustment designed into the spools by loosening the center screw, pulling out the spindle until the 4 pins clear to holes, and rotate it whichever direction is required in increments of 1/4 turn. This give you much finer control without overstretching anything.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tom,

I have to strongly disagree with that! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll have to strongly disagree with Winnebago. What I posted was from my Itasca motorhome manual.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm with Tom N ! Before I knew any better, I tried the wrap around way. It was nothing thing but a fight! Stop & think, There is no quarter of a turn wrapping it & no way to balance out the sides. Da
Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm with Tom N ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave

If I undertand what you said, you disagree with Tom. Whatever, there is no need to think about it for me. I've never needed a fine 1/4 turn adjustment -- when mine have needed adjustment to keep from coming down on their own, I could easily have made more than one loop around the spool, but one loop on one side only normally does the job. And as I said before, moving the shade all the way up and then back down between loops evens out the sides -- has for me everytime anyway!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
JC2
Winnie-Wise

We have the clear spools on our 05 Winnie Voyage and would like to know a source for buying some for spares.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

oh thats how that thing works

Good to know thanks

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
We have the clear spools on our 05 Winnie Voyage and would like to know a source for buying some for spares. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Click on one of sponsors above Lichtsinn Motors , call their parts department & I am sure their helpful staff can set you up.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Loop around the spool has been my method from the first time adjustment was needed. Has always seemed to work. Lichsinn is indeed a good source for Winny parts.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Once the shade is working, quarter turns are best, one side at a time, alternating. The cord system is self equalizing, but cords, springs, and tape that you can't see will stay centered where they originate inside the top of the shade if you spread the adjustments out evenly left and right.

Re-threading is a real joy--which I have done a couple of times now!