Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fellow Winnebago coach owners your in for a fun times when your Day/Night Shade Strings break and you'll be surprised to find that is could have been averted.

Yesterday while sitting at the computer in the coach, I went to pull down the Day/Night shade to get the sun out of my eyes and the string broke. Down came the shade, just when everything has been going so well. I remembered this problem being discussed at one of these forums, so I did a search. And for the person that supplied the source--"Thanks" for the "United Shade's info" it saved the day.

Now so you know how I handled it and why it happened. I went to the United Shade's web site and found their phone number and talked to a nice lady, Donna Gates. She was very helpful and supplied me with instructions and a nice diagram by e-mail. She also suggested that the repacement cord should be a 1.4 mm braided blend, which was not that easy to find, but looked much better then the factory original when the job was done.

To anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of taking this task on your self, patience is a must and 6 hands would sure help. Now all this could have been averted if who ever put the darn unit to gether in the first place, had first de-burred the holes that the nylon string guides fit into, and then set the nylon string guides firmly in place. It was clearly evident that there is a lack of guality workmanship envolved here. If our shades are any example of this products standard assembly procedures, we're in for more string breaking.

Donna did mention, that they did not supp;ly the completed united. She said, " Winnebago was buying components from them and that Winnebago asseblied the unites themselves"; what more can there be said about that, I don't know, but thats what she told me.

Before I found the UNited Shades web site, I did see that this subject was discussed in lenght before and the same problem as I found had the same result.

I posted this topic just to let all of you know, that more fun times are ahead. I would highly suggest, that you copy this information, because your going to need it some day soon. As afar as patience, your on your own.

"United Shade, 574-262-0954 [email protected] "

radarr

radarr
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Fellow Winnebago coach owners your in for a fun times when your Day/Night Shade Strings break and you'll be surprised to find that is could have been averted.

Yesterday while sitting at the computer in the coach, I went to pull down the Day/Night shade to get the sun out of my eyes and the string broke. Down came the shade, just when everything has been going so well. I remembered this problem being discussed at one of these forums, so I did a search. And for the person that supplied the source--"Thanks" for the "United Shade's info" it saved the day.

Now so you know how I handled it and why it happened. I went to the United Shade's web site and found their phone number and talked to a nice lady, Donna Gates. She was very helpful and supplied me with instructions and a nice diagram by e-mail. She also suggested that the repacement cord should be a 1.4 mm braided blend, which was not that easy to find, but looked much better then the factory original when the job was done.

To anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of taking this task on your self, patience is a must and 6 hands would sure help. Now all this could have been averted if who ever put the darn unit to gether in the first place, had first de-burred the holes that the nylon string guides fit into, and then set the nylon string guides firmly in place. It was clearly evident that there is a lack of guality workmanship envolved here. If our shades are any example of this products standard assembly procedures, we're in for more string breaking.

Donna did mention, that they did not supp;ly the completed united. She said, " Winnebago was buying components from them and that Winnebago asseblied the unites themselves"; what more can there be said about that, I don't know, but thats what she told me.

Before I found the UNited Shades web site, I did see that this subject was discussed in lenght before and the same problem as I found had the same result.

I posted this topic just to let all of you know, that more fun times are ahead. I would highly suggest, that you copy this information, because your going to need it some day soon. As afar as patience, your on your own.

"United Shade, 574-262-0954 [email protected] "

radarr

radarr
Old 01-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the post. I think I will find some of that cord to have on hand, but would like to know what length cord is required? Thanks!
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Radarr-Experienced the same problem but caught it before it broke. After replacing the first shade and discovering the burred holes, I took the other shades down one at a time, slid the rails apart, deburred the holes and put it back up. You are SO right about the poor assembly quality. I have tried several places to get a better cord but no one had a color that was very close to the original. Someone even suggested using fly fishing 90 lb. cord but that is limited in colors. Had several more shades replaced under warranty and deburred them all before installing. New ones not any better so someone's not learning. Good luck on your other shades cause they are all just the same.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Same thing here. One of my bedroom shades broke, then the other one. MH was still under warranty so I called the dealer and made an appointment. Before I got in there 2 more had broken. I called the dealer back and they ordered new shades for every window in the MH. I had them all replaced. I guess Winnebago didn't bother deburring the holes because 6 months later one of the bedroom shades broke again. Of course, now I was out of warranty. I called Winnebago and they authorized the dealer to have the blind re-strung. That was about 6 months ago and cross-my-fingers, so far no more have broken.

Bella, Chisai & Keiki
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Just replaced my fourth shade for same reason. This one was over my dinette & cost $148, incl shipping, from Lichtsinn (who gets it from Winnie). The three before that were warranty. Don't have the patience yet to try re-stringing myself. Appreciate United Shade info, in case I do the next one myself.

I asked a Winnie rep about the QC problem & they are very much aware. They just don't care to fix it. Another addition to my bicker list. Sometimes I wish I was a lawyer. Well...maybe not.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Look in the phonebook for a window blind shop. You certainly have one close. Cost will be about $30 to restring and they'll clean the blind also.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Also, read your manual about adjusting the string tension. Basically, take a couple loops of the bobbin until the blind will not stay up and then add loops until the blind stays in place.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I've tried a couple of blind shops locally & none will do the re-string on this type shade. I'll keep looking.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

To adjust the string tension, you can loosen the phillips screw in the center of the string bobbin and keep pulling out on the plastic bobbin until the little prongs clear the piece that fastens to the wall (I think there are about 4 of the prongs), but hang on tight so you don't lose the original tension. Then you can tighten or loosen about a quarter turn at a time. I adjust mine just so it won't drop so as to not chafe the strings anymore than necessary. This way you can fine tune the tension closer than what a whole loop around the spool would do.I also tried to find shade shop that would restring them when necessary and they all said they didn't do that or all they had was white cord. Ours is sort of a fawn color, the name is Dawn Grey, part no. from Winnebago is 097593-02-000. I bought enough for 2 or 3 shades while in Forest City in November. They said more could be ordered from any dealer, but not much help if no one will restring them.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

There are a number of Winnebago coaches here in the resort where we are, and to my surprise, or maybe not to my surprise, a majority of them have had the same problem.

My Darling wife said," you've done such a fine job fixing ours, you ott to start a business fixing shades while we're here". Yea right, just what I want to continue doing, "fixing someone else's mistakes. (edited by radarr)

When I talked to Donna at United Shade, I was surprised when she said, " that Winnebago buys components from them, but not the completed shade.

Take note: if your shades don't have a United Shade Green Label{name,address,phone} on the lower rail, they are a Winnebago product.

If anyone has the United Shades and you've had the same problem, let us know.

radarr (edited by radarr)
Old 01-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

No green stickers on any of mine,which mean they're Winnebago made.

No burrs on ANY of the blinds either....

According to our resident "Winnebago basher" I guess that's unheard of.

I happen to like my Winnebago,yes there are a few issues I'm having,but that's to be expected.
Yes,I had a delivery issue,it was because of the Christmas holiday and Winnebago's shutdown and also a result of my dealer not communicating that to me.When Winnebago found out,BY READING THIS FORUM,they contacted ME and followed the coach through delivery.

My wife and I both have new Chevrolets that have had warranty work done.....Maybe there's a Chevy owners forum I should be bashing Chevy on?

The line forms behind ME for folks that like their Winnebago....There are plenty of other coaches out there. Maybe those that bash Winnebago can find one of them?

This is certainly not directed to everyone on this forum....If the shoe fits....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

See Section 14 of your Winnebago Operator's Manual for Day/Night Pleated Blinds Tension Adjustment.

Tom
Old 01-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
My Darling wife said," you've done such a fine job fixing ours, you ott to start a business fixing shades while we're here". Yea right, just what I want to continue doing, "fixing Winnebago's mistakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>radarr, Everyone here knows who you are and what you're about. Your continued temper tantrum against Winnebago Industries seems to have no sunset although early on you stated that you would like to constructively participate in this forum.

Your snide and acrid remarks are unwelcome in this forum and continuing in this manner will no doubt result in your having to come up with a 3rd name.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
See Section 14 of your Winnebago Operator's Manual for Day/Night Pleated Blinds Tension Adjustment.

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tom....My blinds have a sticker on the bottom rail with instructions on how to do it too.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
radarr, Everyone here knows who you are and what you're about. Your continued temper tantrum against Winnebago Industries seems to have no sunset although early on you stated that you would like to constructively participate in this forum.

Your snide and acrid remarks are unwelcome in this forum and continuing in this manner will no doubt result in your having to come up with a 3rd name. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THAT'S AMORE!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

At Sportsmans Warehouse, or most complete fishing stores, you can purchase:

Dacron Trolling Line

We have tried both the 80lb test and the 50lb test. The 50lb worked best, both for installing and smooth operation of the blinds. It comes in white with a green stripe. It is very inexpensive, pennies per yard!

Re-stringing is a great afternoon project. When you are done you really feel you have re-built something to better then new. The diagram on string path is on the net, and was on this site. Do a search.

The one thing that is amazing is the lenght of string needed. Make sure you purchase enough as it needs to be one piece.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Nothing snide or acrid about the remarks, just facts that are personal experiences. I didn't make the darn shades, but I had to fix them.

rebelsbeach, did you take your shades apart? The only way you'll every know if you have the burrs and thats to have the string break at the worst time or you take them completely apart and inspect the inside of the rails where the nylon string guides are inserted. When the burrs are remove, the nylon inserts are allowed to seat properly and the cord is free from chaffing.

Welcome back Steve, you've been ther done that too I see.
radarr
Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
Nothing snide or acrid about the remarks, just facts that are personal experiences. I didn't make the darn shades, but I had to fix them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Radarr, It wouldn't be remarkable if more than one person here had not read and reacted to your continued disparaging commentary.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Hey,,why don't you guys chill out and bury the hatchett. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion good or bad. This is just one mans opinion of his product.
I too sometimes get tired of the snide remarks but the answer is to ignore them because rebuttal just brings on more comments...
If he has had a bad experience with Winnie let him air it and smile...Have a great day everyone.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote