Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Window Screen Removal

Before I cause problems employing my "Brute Strength and Ignorance" method, I thot' I'd seek assistance here...

How does one remove the window screens so that they and the tracks can be cleaned? It seems that I can almost get them out, but additional force might be too much.

Thanks for any advise,
Ron
Old 03-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

rogo88, if I remember right slide them to the middle lift up and pull out from the bottom.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
Before I cause problems employing my "Brute Strength and Ignorance" method, I thot' I'd seek assistance here...

How does one remove the window screens so that they and the tracks can be cleaned? It seems that I can almost get them out, but additional force might be too much.

Thanks for any advise,
Ron
rogo88,
We have a very, very similar coach to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. Now, if I recall, there's a black, slim piece of plastic that sits UNDERNEATH the bottom of each screen. You don't even see it, unless you're looking RIGHT AT IT. It's what the screen slides on. Here's how it's done. First, open the window all the way. Then, open the screen up also, all the way. Now, you use a small pick or, screw driver (I carry a small pocket screwdriver almost 24/7) to pry up one end of that plastic piece, the opposite end away from the opened screen. It will peel right straight up. And, then it will lift out of that tray it's sitting in.

Then, that will allow the screen more clearance to maneuver out and back in again. Then, when it comes time to re-install that screen, just put the screen in and, place it in the fully open position and then, re-install that black piece of plastic for the screen to slide on. Done. Hope this helps.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mine has 4 spring pins, one in each corner. Pull the little knobs on the bottom and pull out.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Mine has 4 spring pins, one in each corner. Pull the little knobs on the bottom and pull out.
Hey Jeff,
I'm kind-a curious. You state your screens have "spring pins"? Apparently they don't get in the way of the window sliding back and forth, correct? Can you get a picture, if you get some time? I'd like to see that arrangement. Usually there's very little clearance between the windows and screens so, I would think that any protrusions would interference issues.
Scott
Old 03-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
rogo88,
We have a very, very similar coach to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. Now, if I recall, there's a black, slim piece of plastic that sits UNDERNEATH the bottom of each screen. You don't even see it, unless you're looking RIGHT AT IT. It's what the screen slides on. Here's how it's done. First, open the window all the way. Then, open the screen up also, all the way. Now, you use a small pick or, screw driver (I carry a small pocket screwdriver almost 24/7) to pry up one end of that plastic piece, the opposite end away from the opened screen. It will peel right straight up. And, then it will lift out of that tray it's sitting in.

Then, that will allow the screen more clearance to maneuver out and back in again. Then, when it comes time to re-install that screen, just put the screen in and, place it in the fully open position and then, re-install that black piece of plastic for the screen to slide on. Done. Hope this helps.
Scott
I am going to have to go and see if this is the same for my windows. For years wife and I have wondered how to get to the entire window for cleaning, last Adventurer and now this one.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Jeff,
I'm kind-a curious. You state your screens have "spring pins"? Apparently they don't get in the way of the window sliding back and forth, correct? Can you get a picture, if you get some time? I'd like to see that arrangement. Usually there's very little clearance between the windows and screens so, I would think that any protrusions would interference issues.
Scott
Hi Scott, heres what they look like. Pull the knob up and out they come. They all have them. Sorry about the quality of the pix, but the background ain't bad..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Hi Scott, heres what they look like. Pull the knob up and out they come. They all have them. Sorry about the quality of the pix, but the background ain't bad..

Hey Jeff,
Roger that. For some reason, I was thinking of horizontal pull-pins like what we used to have in our home in San Diego. But, I see how those will not effect any window proximity issues. Thanks for the explanation and pics. Yeah, the scenery is not bad, ha ha ha. Wish I was there.
Scott
Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I looked at my windows and see the strip of plastic and it does appear to lift out of the track. Problem is the strip of plastic seems to run the entire length of the window so do you just pull the thing out from under it? Did not seem too easy to pull out of there. Plastic insert appears to be almost the entire length of window frame.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I looked at my windows and see the strip of plastic and it does appear to lift out of the track. Problem is the strip of plastic seems to run the entire length of the window so do you just pull the thing out from under it? Did not seem too easy to pull out of there. Plastic insert appears to be almost the entire length of window frame.
Probably because tabs break... I'll bet that's a lift strip. Can't hurt to lift and see if it clears the lower track
Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Ktm,
Yes Sir, that stip does lay almost completely full length. That way, the screen has a plastic surface to glide on, all the way open or, closed. But, what you do is, like stated above. move the window and screen all the way open. Then, reach under the edge of the plastic stip, at the opposite end of open screen and lift up, then lift AND PULL AWAY FROM THE SCREEN. Yes, you will be pulling it out from underneath the screen.

The screen will drop a slight amount as the plastic is removed. No biggie. Now, remove the screen, do what you need to do and, when ready, re-install the screen, and slip the plastic back into its track and, slide it under the screen and push it all the way under the screen 'till it either stops or, the end you have in your hand, is where it's supposed to be when you push it back down into its final resting place.

Hope this clears things up.
Scott

Tags
removal, scr, window