Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wind and Awnings

We're at an RV resort in Mesa, AZ; DH seems to want to put the awning up at the first flapping….wind is posted at 12mph! I'm tired of doing this all the time, and it gets hotter so the AC is on longer. We have a 2006 Sightseer 29R.
Any other ideas on this?
thanks!
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Turn the wind control OFF.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There are tie downs available from camping supply stores. However if you have a wind sensor awning I would make sure you can shut off the sensor before using them.

Here are a couple from Camping World:

Search - awning tie down - Camping World.

We left the one on our old coach extended one time when we shouldn't have. The end result was a new $900.00 awning. Our new coach has an electric wind sensing awning. When we went through the PDI the sales person explained how it was "supposed to work". He then added the following warning "By the time the awning has sensed the first gust of wind and starts to react the second gust of wind has already ripped it off."

Needless to say we don't trust it will work quickly enough when the time comes. Consequently we like your DH retract it anytime the wind starts to make it flap.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
We're at an RV resort in Mesa, AZ; DH seems to want to put the awning up at the first flapping….wind is posted at 12mph! I'm tired of doing this all the time, and it gets hotter so the AC is on longer. We have a 2006 Sightseer 29R.
Any other ideas on this?
thanks!
parsoc
My opinion is this:
Wind and RV patio awnings do not mix!
Sudden wind gusts can be difficult to predict.
Any RV owner who leaves his awning out will, (sooner or later), have no awning to put out......(don't ask me how I know).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wind and Awnings

I am usually able to get a site facing West or North or something in between. Plenty of shade on the door side without the awning.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
parsoc
My opinion is this:
Wind and RV patio awnings do not mix!
Sudden wind gusts can be difficult to predict.
Any RV owner who leaves his awning out will, (sooner or later), have no awning to put out......(don't ask me how I know).
Mel
'96 Safari
Yep, but it took me from 1957 till 2012 to have it happen and actually it wasn't a wind gust, it was a sudden rain storm in Fresno CA that got mine
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If we have a sensor we don't know about it! Just heard about the tie-downs, that will be our next step I think. Since we're coming back to this park next winter we can scope out other sites where wind will be less of a factor...the downside is the afternoon sun coming in the front of the coach. But there are always tradeoffs with anything! Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My previous coach was a 2006 29R. The awning was manual, no wind sensor. We used couple of tent stakes or screw-into-the -ground dog tie outs and ratcheting tie downs to hold the awning down.

Edit: Your husband is right to be concerned. I have seen a lot of severe damage due to wind getting under awnings.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I started tying our electric awning down but that didn't curb my paranoia of wind. It only made it more of a choir to put the awning up so I no longer tie it down.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
Any other ideas on this?
thanks!
We had a sudden wind gust do a number on our last coach awning. A 12mph wind will shake it around a bit. If no gusts are common in your area you have a good chance of not loosing the awning. BUT when that one that is not supposed to be shows up...

Don't be too hard on DH. He is only trying to protect your vacation time. Let the A/C run. If it is keeping you cool that is a good thing. Parking north/south will help reduce the sun exposure on the full side. But in AZ that might not help much. Just kick back and enjoy the late winter cactus blooming.

Rick Y
Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
...Any RV owner who leaves his awning out will, (sooner or later), have no awning to put out......(don't ask me how I know).
Mel
'96 Safari
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Our awing has be out since we arrived in Mesa, AZ last December. It is tied out with springs and ratchet straps. Got the ratchet straps from Harbor Freight. Should be able to find the springs and stakes there also.
Send me a PM if you would like to see how I do it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #14

Carol, When we had our diesel pusher, my DW always nagged me about having awnings but bringing them in with the slightest increase in wind. We were in Palm Desert with main awning and the awning over entry door extended and the wind began to gust. I was able to get the big awning in with no damage, but as I brought in the small awning over the door, a wind gust caught it like a big sail and almost ripped it out of the side of the coach. It also ruined the gear teeth in the motor. After almost $1,000 in repairs, and a delay to our trip, my DW never asks me to put out the awnings! I do put the awning on our Via out, but only when there is very little wind. It can happen very fast and drain your check book very quickly.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Parsoc,

You'd know if you have a wind sensor because it would be a motorized awning. Just a question, have you tighten the knobs down on your rafter arms?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

IMO it is a risk/reward situation. Leave the awing out and reduce air conditioning costs as well as the glare from the sun. Bring the awning in an avoid costly repairs the may occur. Never going to be a right answer unless it is in hindsight.

Our 5er has a manual awning. We extend it, take the legs off of the side and put them on the ground and tie the awning down. We had it out for 7 years while setup in the south without any issues.

The coach has an automatic which we leave on. It has closed twice in the last two months.

We are set up in a fairly protected area. We are under trees facing away from the predominant wind.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Depending on wind direction it starts flapping annoyingly at about 12 mph and we pull it in at about 15mph. Anything higher is cruising for a bruising IMHO.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

thanks everyone for all your input; we got the clamps (Camco), will put them on when it cools down a little here.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I have an 05 vectra and eveytime it rains i get water ponding in the center ,the arn does colapse and strats to shed the water but before you know it there is water in the middle . I have put a new roller tube and new awning fabric and still the same HELP
Denny1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I'm assuming you have an electric awning. If you do you can set the awning arms so that when fully extended one end is lower than the other. Ours came from the factory with both the front and rear arms adjusted so the awning is level. The procedure for lowering one end is outlined in our Supplemental Manual in section 12 "Miscellaneous".

About all the procedure amounts to is adjusting (shortening) the rear arm using the adjustment knob after the awning is fully extended.

Just remember to put it back in the original position before attempting to close the awning. If you don't the arms will bind and possible bend or break something.

Tags
awning