Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Will I be ok to winterize like this

This is my first winter with my 2007 26 Aspect. We are in northern illinois and we have some cold winters. On my other trailers I used to have, I would drain the fresh water tank and then add about 10 gallons of rv antifreeze to the fresh water tank. I would first drain the hot water tank and put the plug back in. Then I would run the pump and it would fill the hot water tank and then I would open all the faucets until they ran a good pink color. I read the manual and Winnebago said to used the siphon tube and winterization valve but I would have to still have to remove the strainer for the water pump and remove a panel on the side of the shower and open 2 low point water valve to drain. My old way would be a lot easier for me but would it take forever to put in the antifreeze through the fresh water inlet? Thanks Mike
jeep2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I was told never put anti freeze in the hot water tank. If you follow the owners manual you will use about a gallon and a half of antifreeze.
dennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I winterized without antifreeze in tank. No issues. Zero degrees several days. Follow manual.
dagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

When l am all done running the faucets l do empty the hot water tank. I understand l can save some antifreeze this way, but the extra in the tank l use to flush the toilet when l take it out in the winter. Am l missing something about this way of winterizing. Thanks for the help, l am still a little
Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Just drain your hot water heater, remove the drinking water filter under the kitchen sink if equipped, turn the hot water tank bypass to winterize, turn the outside water valve to winterize, put the siphon tube in the rv antifeeze and turn on one faucet at a time until the red stuff appears and add a cup of fluid to the traps, thats it. If you have an ice maker, dishwasher or washing machine there area few more steps spelled out in the manual. I have never removed the filter screen from my pump I believe they suggest that when you blow out the line with a compressor.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Using your method rather than the Winn method, you will not winterize the line to the pump from the water inlet. As long as that doesn't matter to you, then you should be fine. You can also push the pin in the water inlet check valve to drain most of the water inlet line but it is likely above the pump level so you wont get all out. You will however winterize the line to the pump from the tank.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone, l don't have an outside winterize position on my valve. I just have tank fill and normal. Yes I think it would be easier if I had the winterize valve outside? The siphon tube is under the bed. The hot water tank bypass is hard to get to. How many valves are on the bypass for the hot water tank? One of my trailers had 3 of them to turn. When I looked with a flash lite l think l only seen 1 valve, could that be the only one? Thanks Mike

Tags
winter