Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Why 30 amps when U have 2 AC's

I don't understand why Winnebago would install two AC's that can only run off the generator if you wish to use both together, if you have the 30 amp shore system. Why not have a 50 Amp system to run whatever your motorhome has off of shore power?

Maybe they just forgot like this condo built by builders with large bladders:

Mississauga condo developer forgets to put 120 bathrooms in brand new building - Home | This is That with Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring | CBC Radio
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The satirical story about bathrooms is one thing , for a real life [Moderator Edit], a senior's living complex in Kelowna B.C. built, and specified , to be wheel chair access , had all the entry doors with the door handles at the wrong height, for wheel chairs .

Carpenter friend spent 3 weeks ripping out brand new doors and frames ; doors they could salvage ; frames were scrap. on 80 units , in a four story complex , before the elevators and central air conditioning were operational. In July .

He was not a happy camper.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
OP...30 amp coach electrical systems are less expensive to manufacture than 50 amp systems. You have two air units because one unit will not reach all areas of the coach. The bedroom is isolated from the front air unit. Some 30 amp 2 unit air systems have an electrical default which allows two units to cycle on and off at different times with out overloading the 30 amp. I cant tell you which ones but there are some. When I had my gasser class A My single unit went bad and I would have been happy to have a second one to fall back on.

In my opinion All Rvs should have 50 amp systems. Some new coaches are running very close to overloading their 50 amp ( 100 amp available ) systems. WE WANT MORE STUFF!!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My MH and most Fleetwood 30 AMP MH's have a EMS that allow both AC's to run the same time. If you start the microwave while they are both running the EMS will shut one of the AC's off until the microwave is done. Then the AC will start again.

Fleetwood use Coleman PS units. Usually the front AC is 13.5 btu and rear 11.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I don't understand why Winnebago would install two AC's that can only run off the generator if you wish to use both together, if you have the 30 amp shore system. Why not have a 50 Amp system to run whatever your motorhome has off of shore power?

Maybe they just forgot like this condo built by builders with large bladders:

Mississauga condo developer forgets to put 120 bathrooms in brand new building - Home | This is That with Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring | CBC Radio
We had a 2007 Sightseer that was a 30 amp unit with 2 A/C and it worked just fine. The front unit could be run off of shore power only and the back unit could be run off of either shore power or direct from the generator.

When hooked into 30 amps running both off shore power was fine with the PMS. Where the option came in handy was on the occasion you had only 20 amp plug in. You could run the front AC and the rest of the coach off the short power and when you need additional AC you could fire up the generator and run the back AC.

We have recently upgraded to a new unit with 50 amp service and we don't have that option. I miss that option.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Most coaches ( if not all ) the gen set overrides the ped power, so...?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Most coaches ( if not all ) the gen set overrides the ped power, so...?
Not in our 2007 Sightseer.

You had to plug the shore lime into the a plug coming off the generator. There wasn't a transfer switch. Much better system IMO.

There was a toggle switch in with the fuse box inside the coach that allowed you to toggle the rear AC unit either direct fro the gen set or to the shore power.

You could leave the shore power plugged into a power source and flip the switch and run the rear AC off the generator.

I liked that system much better that the current system.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Both air conditioners should be able to run on 30 amps unless they are failing and draw more power than intended. At the time your coach was manufactured (1994) I doubt there were any RV parks that had 50 amp services. Your coach came equipped with 2 13,500 btu air conditioners. A 50 amp service wasn't even an option in 1994.

The typical roof air starting current is about 15 to 16 amps. After startup it runs at approx. 10-12 amps. If you start one, let it come up to speed then start the other a minute or so later you should be drawing 20-24 amps. If you're drawing more than 20- 24 amps to power the AC's it's time to have them looked at.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Tom View Post
Not in our 2007 Sightseer.

You had to plug the shore lime into the a plug coming off the generator. There wasn't a transfer switch. Much better system IMO.

There was a toggle switch in with the fuse box inside the coach that allowed you to toggle the rear AC unit either direct fro the gen set or to the shore power.

You could leave the shore power plugged into a power source and flip the switch and run the rear AC off the generator.

I liked that system much better that the current system.
I had a 1983 HR MH that was like that. I didn't know that some were still being built like that outdated system. You had to unplug the shore power and plug the same cord into the generator to get power.

That was not good when a storm came through the campground with heavy rain & wind rocking the MH. There were a few that their awning ended up on the roof or the ground.

And then campground lost power. Been there done that.
OH!! I had to go outside to do the switching in the downpour of rain. With a modern transfer switch I can sit inside and stay dry.

I'm glad to report my OEM transfer switch is still doing it's job after 18 years with no problem. But I do carry a spare if ever needed.

IMO the transfer switch is the best option.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Previous coach was a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30a with two air conditioners and a EMS to manage the power. Worked well, no problems. Easier to handle the 30a cord, especially when cold and 50a cable can get stiff.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote