Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Who has this air cleaner and what did it cost?

Gents,
Just did an air cleaner change for the first time. We've owned this coach now for just over a year and it has 45K on the clock. It's an Itasca, 36GD with the 330 CAT. The restriction gauge said about half way up. I've released it a couple of times and it always travels back up about half way. It seems to be working fine.

Now, I certainly don't want to invade anyone's privacy here so there's no mandate for the "cost" part of the answer. When searching for this particular air cleaner, I started out the wrong way. I started out thinking that the Freightliner center near us would be the highest price possible for this air cleaner.
In my search, it seemed that many places could not cross reference that particular part number. And those that could, came close but, not the exact same one. And, if they did find it or, came real close, the highest price I was quoted was $300.00 from a local NAPA. Carquest came in a second at $230.00. Amazon was at $114.00 but could not guaranty getting it to me before we leave on this upcoming trip.

So, I finally resorted to calling our San Diego Freightliner. Well, surprise to me!!! They not only had (4) of them in stock but, they are selling them for $115.00!!! In all the searching, only Amazon could even touch that price and no matter where I searched, it had to be ordered. They had them in stock.

It sure would seem to me that this would be a common air cleaner. I know and realize that there are a zillion motorhomes out there and, Diesel ones at that. Now, if I recall, the chassis builder determines the style and type of air cleaner and much more. So, while many of you might have the same motor as I do, the CAT C-7, your style of air cleaner may differ. I guess it depends on multiple circumstances. Anyway, here's what mine looks like and the part number.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #2

Eco Bc 11X18 Top Inlet 6I/7O - RVGoodies.com
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I used to go through the same routene pricing other suppliers, I found its always best to go to a Freightliner shop for all filters. I may have to drive a few more miles but there never is any problems getting the correct parts. Never had a problem with part numbers from Freightliner.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Farr-Eco filter for my 330 CAT has always been lowest cost at local Freightliner parts counter or at Freightliner Custom Coach service center in Gaffney.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Actually, this looks like it's the model 094973-006 which isn't the correct filter. This one has a 7" inlet and 6" outlet, whereas the correct 094973-007 has a 7" inlet and 7" outlet.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I recently replaced the air filter on my C-7 and the cost for a filter from a Freightliner shop in Medford was about half of what I paid at NAPA a couple of years ago.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Not only was my air filter cheaper at Freightliner in SLC, UT so were my chassis sealed 12v batteries, under 100 bucks each.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Actually, this looks like it's the model 094973-006 which isn't the correct filter. This one has a 7" inlet and 6" outlet, whereas the correct 094973-007 has a 7" inlet and 7" outlet.
Chris,
You're absolutely right. In my search, one or two places came up with the "006" version and at one point, I almost commited to buying one figuring it, like many auto items, simply change part numbers. But, I held off and called Freightliner. Incedentally, the person that sent the link to the RV parts place, shows the air cleaner for $90.00. But, you have to log in and or create an account to see what shipping is. I'd bet most likely that shipping on that size box would be around $20.00 or more. If so, it would put that air cleaner right at the price I paid for it, plus or minus.
Scott
Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

This is a very interesting post...thanks guys. I'll know where to go for my next air cleaner.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe View Post
This is a very interesting post...thanks guys. I'll know where to go for my next air cleaner.
Well Sir,
It's really kind of the real reason I posted it even though I presented it as a question. Many of us still do our own maintenance to a certain point. So, even when it comes to something as simple as an air cleaner change, info on the part number, best (and or ONLY) place to get one and more is always appreciated. I have learned a lot from posts just like this one. I hope I've helped anyone who might be ready to change his/her air cleaner with whatever info provided and, also with the help and info from other answers to this thread.
Scott
Old 07-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Mike Cody from CampFreightliner says to replace the stock air cleaner element every 2 years no matter what. Over a period of time the paper can get brittle and begin breaking apart and that cost of the air cleaner will be miniscule compared to the engine damage it will do if it breaks apart and gets in your system.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Mike Cody from CampFreightliner says to replace the stock air cleaner element every 2 years no matter what. Over a period of time the paper can get brittle and begin breaking apart and that cost of the air cleaner will be miniscule compared to the engine damage it will do if it breaks apart and gets in your system.
You know doorguy,
It's kind of interesting you posted that response. The reason I say that is, I used my "restriction gauge" as a gauge to tell me that it was time to change the element. Well, in prep for the upcoming trip we're about to embark on, I went out today and topped off the fuel tank. I reset the restriction gauge just before I left home. The distance I drove to the gas station was only about 2.5 miles and, it was all level.

But, right after topping off, I went to the back of the coach and checked out my restriction gauge and guess what, it is very close to where the old element caused it to rise to. Hmmmmm

Then I 'm thinking I just wasted $110.00 for this air cleaner when a brand new one makes the restriction gauge rise to almost the same point. How in the world do you tell if the element's starting to clog or not. I figured that gauge would be down at the bottom for a long time, not climb to more than a third of the way, right off the bat!!!!!

So, now, after reading your answer here, even though maybe my old element was not all that bad in terms of restriction, it might have been time to change it anyway due to what you quoted. Like you stated, that air cleaner is a hundred bucks, the cost of that engine is just a bit more than that so, why not give it a chance to breath clearly?
Scott
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Scott, I've observed same every time my AF was changed. I don't think that gauge is worth much....except maybe it would rise if a filter element got really clogged and started to restrict flow. I suspect most of us never travel in such dusty conditions to clog the filter before the element 'ages out.' Like the tires on our rigs, they will age out before we ever wear them out.

I've generally had my filter changed every 3 years.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
DKY
Winnebago Camper

air filter

My last 2 MHs the air restriction was 12-15 ins. when new . On my 04 Jounery I replaced the AF with one that is 33% larger , 6" inlet 6" outlet. With the new AF it went to 0 ins. restriction and at 10000 miles it was at 3ins. With the AF and Areo muffler I have gained 1.5 mpg ,more power, cooler running engine. Cost: 119.00 muffler, 40.00 extra AF change over
DKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #15

Interesting subject;;;; My. point of view is a bit different;; we have a friend that is constantly shopping for the cheapest place to buy things.. He lost his engine It just exploded; Why that is a real good question;;; ( Maybe it was that cheap part he Installed, Maybe not ) With the engine Replacement being near $30,000. I feel it is best to stay with a factory replacement,, ( then some guy says WELL there only 3 manufactures That make them ) that is OK I want the one that says CAT on it.. Life is good..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKY View Post
My last 2 MHs the air restriction was 12-15 ins. when new . On my 04 Jounery I replaced the AF with one that is 33% larger , 6" inlet 6" outlet. With the new AF it went to 0 ins. restriction and at 10000 miles it was at 3ins. With the AF and Areo muffler I have gained 1.5 mpg ,more power, cooler running engine. Cost: 119.00 muffler, 40.00 extra AF change over
DKY,
Glad you got improved operations with your AF alteration. The one that comes on mine is a 7" inlet and 7" outlet. I don't think I could get one with bigger inlets and outlets in there and, trying to hook them into the actual air horn and transfer tubing that leads to the motor would be a nightmare. I already have the Aero 5050 XL. With this beast, and the weight of it and, carrying a Honda Goldwing and towing the '11 CR-V, it hovers around 7.0 to 7.5 mpg. I figure that's about as good as it's going to get.
Scott
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I was corredponding with an air filter service tech, he said the Eco-Farr filter was a compromise and should be replaced with a canister and seperate filter flowing outside-in.
BUT, he also said the K&N and AFe were terrible as far as filtering went. They let twice as much dirt through as a standard Eco-Farr filter. Which is why they flow more air. I'm not willing to risk "dusting" a $25-30,000 engine by using such filters.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #18

Of no interest;;. I had a K&N installed on one of my trucks; The prepormance was not what I was Led to believe;;;; I also installed a Franze; TP. filter on one truck 185000 miles Only the TP change and add a quort of oil.. I sold the truck it still ran like new... If you are still awake form your own opionon;;. Just don't skimp on parts. (including tires) there is to much riding on it;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Air filter Cost

Traveling through Missouri and air filter indicator running on the high side 18/ 20 range. Filter had not been changed for several years. Decided to change it. priced filter at Freightliner, $66.00 but none in stock and would not be restocked for several days. Checked O Riellys could have one the next day. Asked price and he replied what was Freightliners quote. I told him and he said he would match so ordered. Picked up next day and counter person said price was $281.00, Checked with Freightliner to comfirm and honoured the price of $66.00. He was choking but he did it.
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote