Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
Me too. My rig is scheduled to go in for service on Thursday. I can't seem to get more than a 10 degree drop in temperature from outside to inside and my unit will freeze up at 90 degree outside temperature with 11% humidity.
Well, they thought my outdoor blower motor was going bad and not moving enough air so they ordered the part. I went in today to have it installed and when they removed the heat pump they discovered that my indoor coil was very dirty and full of mold. They cleaned it out and now it works so much better. I have a lot more air flow! I think it is back to normal again. Yea!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The good news is they found the source of the freon leak on system #2, and repaired it. The system was vacuumed and recharged by an "outside" AC tech, and they believe the unit is NOW doing ALL it was designed to do. Yet to be determined is IF this designed capability is sufficent to make this 37F floor plan coach usable in a typical Southern summer........Ed
Today my recently repaired unit got a true test. Full sun, actual outside temp 96-98*F, and 112* heat index according to my WeatherBug. With the T-stat set on 75, the unit never cycled off, just as before the repair, BUT the inside temp remained "acceptable" by not going above 82 as displayed on the T-stat. Full disclosure requires me to state we've not been going "in & out" very much, and have all the shades drawn, BUT this is a noticable improvement since having the #2 compressor system leak fixed and re-charged as described above. Thank you, Dependable RV Services of Madison, MS. !
Ed
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #43

Good to hear Ed!

I guess that is the difference with someone enjoying 82 degree indoor temp than us enjoying 72 degree indoor temp.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver View Post
Good to hear Ed!

I guess that is the difference with someone enjoying 82 degree indoor temp than us enjoying 72 degree indoor temp.
I suppose it is all relevant. LOL I'm nearly in the same boat. Mine is performing to specs but not to my liking. In my case I'm starting to weigh the balance of dumping money into an added AC unit along with a few other items or different RV. Summer will soon be on the down hill slide so I have some time to think this out. Can you guess what kind of AC will NOT be in my next RV?

I guess on my next RV I will need to figure out how to avoid the dreaded black streaks?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
I suppose it is all relevant. LOL I'm nearly in the same boat. Mine is performing to specs but not to my liking. In my case I'm starting to weigh the balance of dumping money into an added AC unit along with a few other items or different RV. Summer will soon be on the down hill slide so I have some time to think this out. Can you guess what kind of AC will NOT be in my next RV?
My thoughts exactly. I figured I would keep our gas unit another few years, and an additional air for $800 total would be worth it....IF we kept this unit. We now have no problem keeping our inside temps 72 in 100 degree direct sun heat without having to have every window covered, awnings out, no view out the front, like living in a cave.

Some of the other gripe I have with the inadequate basement air is when you are DRIVING the unit in the hot sun....the heat gain from that massive windshield is so much that the basement air can't keep up....and then you park and the chassis heat is still there, seeping up through the floor. The roof air is all we run now while driving and it can maintain the temp we want due to the larger air flow than the basement air.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The roof air is all we run now while driving and it can maintain the temp we want due to the larger air flow than the basement air.
I just had mine worked on and the inside radiator was extremely dirty and moldy. The air flow difference now is amazing. It is like night and day. If you have low air flow through the vents, especially at the front, you might want to have your unit pulled and cleaned.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I just had mine worked on and the inside radiator was extremely dirty and moldy. The air flow difference now is amazing. It is like night and day. If you have low air flow through the vents, especially at the front, you might want to have your unit pulled and cleaned.
I'm looking at that as a winter project.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #48

With the air filter under the bed removed, you can lay on your stomach and look at the inside coil and see how dirty yours is. Mine is as clean as the day we bought our motorhome 6 1/2 years ago. If you find that it is dirty, you can lean in and spray the fins with Simple Green and then hose it off....yes....bring in a hose and spray it down from inside the opening, as the water will drain out.

The basement air flow restriction is in the engineering from Winnebago from the RVP unit through the restricted U-turn connector to the rear ductwork, up the back wall and down the cut out styrofoam ducts.

The roof air has no restrictions.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #49
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Good to hear Ed!

Yes, I envy your meat locker !

I have not ruled out adding the RT unit, but am still stressing about the route for the wiring needed. The dealer said it is "no problem" and that they have done it many times-especially on Alpha See Ya brand DPs. Surprisingly, he said he has never done a Winnie.

Ed
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #50
Winnebago Owner

We use the basement A/C on the road with good results by closing all the vents except the four up front and the fan on high. I cleaned our A/C unit last fall and it was not as dirty as I feared, but had a greasy dirt on the fins. My friend, who does not use his on the road had a more dusty dirt on his. Ours were similar ages and miles so I attributed the difference to our road use of the basement unit. We could not reach the unit to clean it without pulling it out. It was not too difficult to pull, just time consuming and a little awkward. I'm glad to have done it and would not hesitate to do it again.

Dave

Tags
service