Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Whistling Noise from Top Cap

We have developed this very annoying whistling noise that appears to coming somewhere from around the top cap area on the drivers side in our '95 Vectra. We have looked at everything we can possibly think of and it's still there!! Does anyone please have any suggestions before it drives us nuts!!

Thanks
John

1995 Winnebago Vectra
Lorene and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You have to look at your windshield real close may have a slit separation from the rubber gasket that will eventually become larger.
Twisting chassis frame when leveling will pop the windshield.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have a similar noise when we move the CB antenna to the full upright position. The only time we use it is when traveling with a WIT caravan so it stays folded parallel to the roof (and silent) 95% of the time.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Whistling Noise from Top Cap

Many thanks for your prompt responses.

Hikerdogs we thought it might be the aerial as well but as we don't have a CB John removed the aerial but left the bracket. We took it for a test drive but still have the noise.

007 thanks for your suggestion. That is a possibility. We looked closely at that yesterday and the rubber is a little loose. John is going to remove it today and check it once the ice is off the roof.

Thanks again your help is most appreciated.

Lorene

1995 Winnebago Vectra
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

ICE its winter in New Zealand we have plenty of heat here we'll ship you some.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

Hope you find it. I had an 05 Diesel Bounder that whistled at me for 55,000 miles despite anything I did (and I did a lot). Never did find it, and it only happened when the wind was from about 10 o'clock. Impossible to troubleshoot on the road. I hope the guy that bought it likes the tune.

John
Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks - frosty mornings but beautiful sunny days. Do miss the heat though so please forward some South

1995 Winnebago Vectra
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

wind noise

I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser. When i get around 55 mph I had a high pitch noise. I found out it was the front grille making the noise. I put a screen over the grille and the noise went away. Hope this helps.
quadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We were hurtling down 95 about 83 mph just south of Daytona when, out of nowhere we were suddenly jolted from our hypnotic driving trance and assaulted by a horrendously loud, eardrum rattling, insanely high-pitched, almost hypersonic, wailing sound. Like a carbon monoxide detector gone mad or Satan's own teakettle furiously boiling and wailing for relief from the flames. Imagine a silent dog whistle for a 27 foot tall mutt. "What is that?" DGF leaned forward and looked up. "WINDSHIELD!" Screeeeeeeeeeee I know the prisoner dolphins in Sea World could hear it. She gestured up at the corner of the gigantic glass panel in front of her. Screeeeeeeeeeee "IT'S LOOSE AGAIN." Oh h*** now what do we do? A sign appeared over the interstate. Rest area 1 mile. We pull in to the rest stop, get the ladder out of the storage and duct tape the windshield. We drove the rest of the way in comfort. There were a bunch of love bugs stuck to the part of the tape that blew back and exposed the adhesive to the insect world.

The repair guys knew just what to do. After replacing the windshield they glued the gasket to the glass and the coach with some kind of black, very sticky adhesive from a caulk gun. It was the expressed opinion of the tech that the gasket was undersized. It has been good since.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar wind noise last week on our return from GNR. It turned out to be the window above the driver coming loose fron the frame. Seems the weldment (gasket material) has come loose. Used tape to hold it in and get the MH back home and will fix it this week.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Lorene and John,

Had the same problem in our 07 Vectra. I was annoyed for a couple of years with the whistling sound. The only time it did not whistle was when I would be behind a tractor-trailer rig. I could have sworn that the whistle was coming from the upper, drivers side windshield area. Taped up everything I could imagine that could be causing it. No results. Even had the factory folks at Forest City look at it. After two hours at $110 per hour, they could not find the noise source. So, I put a stop to the bleeding of my hard earned money and left thinking that I would have to live with it. Then on the way home to NJ, I took out the role of duct tape. Since I had taped everything I could think of up in the area where I thought the noise was, I focused on other places. Low and behold, at a rest area in Indiana, I hit the right spot.

Look at the panel that opens out and up that gives you access to the top of the generator and the firewall. Now notice the seam between that panel and the black panel just below the windshield. I taped up that seam and whistling noise was gone. When I got home, I went to the local auto parts store and purchased some vinyl body side molding 2" wide. The molding had two tape strips on the back for mounting. I removed the plastic protective material from only one strip and mounted it only to the top of the access panel. Problem solved.

Hope this helps. Good luck
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Lorene and John

As to my response just above this one. When I first read your post, I read "05" Vectra. I apologize since obviously I provided details of my fix that probably does not apply to your Vectra. I guess I will use the the 11:00 pm on a Sunday night defense for my misread. I still say to look at some less obvious places for a solution. And, perhaps my post might be worthwhile to someone else with a similar coach as mine.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We have a similar noise when we move the CB antenna to the full upright position. The only time we use it is when traveling with a WIT caravan so it stays folded parallel to the roof (and silent) 95% of the time.
How did you ever get the factory installed CB antenna adjusted to the correct setting in order to not damage your CB radio. On my 2004 Meridian I finally gave up and quit using the radio when the meter reading was always too high no matter how or where I turned the little knobs that are supposed to change the reading (can't remember what this is called on a CB). Ruined one radio on a car because I let the meter reading get out of adjustment so have been very careful since.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. It's been a mission but we think we have fixed the problem. When we were away at Christmas the windscreen got hit by a stone, cracked and had to be replaced. It would appear that when the windscreen was replaced the glazier didn't fit the rubber gasket properly and it was moving - especially down the middle between the two windscreens. As a consequence we suspect the air was going up under it and hence the whistling noise which sounded like it was coming from the top cap. We had the glass people come out to our home last week and check it all out and fix it and pleased to say that on the test drive there was no whistling noise

John and Lorene

1995 Winnebago Vectra