Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Got hit by a rock this weekend going over Blewett pass and it cracked the windshield, about a 2 foot long 3 branch crack. So where do you go to get a new one? Does it have to be a Winnie Dealer or will an auto glass place do this repair?

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Got hit by a rock this weekend going over Blewett pass and it cracked the windshield, about a 2 foot long 3 branch crack. So where do you go to get a new one? Does it have to be a Winnie Dealer or will an auto glass place do this repair?

Seattle, WA
Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My insurance co. put me in touch with Duncan Systems and had the
glass shipped to my local shop for installation. No problems at all.
http://www.duncansys.com/
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We got cracks in both of our windshields on our maiden voyage out of TX. I waited till I got home and called in my Comprehensive on my insurance since they are about $2500 for the pair and the deductible is only $250.

A company called Duncan Systems is who normally gets glass for motor homes and then they coordinate with the mfr. and insurance and a local glass shop that specializes in motor home windshields since a normal auto glass installer doesn't have the training or skill to handle these windshields (at least that is what everyone above mentioned).

I went with Advance Auto Glass for the install since they are local and since Duncan Systems recommended them, as well as a fellow RV friend. I also had Duncan Systems order a new factory windshield gasket and locking strip from Gulfstream since the installers were going to be replacing both and the factory gaskets bond to the coach body was suspect. The installer did have to re-do the job with a new gasket and locking strip due to their prior install error but they covered the cost of materials and labor (about 4-1/2 hours) and so far, so good.

Make sure you go to someone who gives you a lifetime warranty against leaks and on their total installation.

Duncan Systems info. is (800) 551-9149

I dealt with Tracy at ext. 2022

Good luck. Oh, my thread is posted in brief here:

WINDSHIELD REPLACEMENT
Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Itasca Sunrise that just had the drivers side windshield replaced. It was done by the Dealer and the windshield did come from Winnebago, don't know if Winnie would sell the glass to a glass shop? This one was $1500.00 installed.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Always thought having windshields installed at Winnebago in Forest City was the way to go. Have seen coaches that had a bad install, water leaked and metal retaining clips rusted and had to be replaced.

Okay last year I had to have both windshields replaced in Forest City. Got a great job, right? Wrong! Had to use caulking to seal up air/water leaks. In the future I will use my insurance companies glass service.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info, I will look into Duncan.

Cheers

Seattle, WA
Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had a friend get his windshield replaced by these guys and thought they were good:

http://www.theautoglassguy.com/servi...autoglass.html

edit: Sounds like Duncan is the way to go.

BTW, I came over Blewett Pass last week too. No windshield damage as I can tell but a few more small "road rash-type" chips in the paint. I vow never to drive over any passes in the winter. I've gone over mountain passes in the winter 3 times now and my one year old coach shows the battle scars. It's staying down south in the winter from now on!
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have Progressive insurance and when I had chips in both windshields (from a dump truck coming the opposite way losing rocks over the side), they put me in touch with Dunkin. Had the glass shipped to the shop they used locally and both were replaced within a week. The nice thing about Dunkin is that they are national and they hold the paperwork on the job they do for you and should you have a problem with the install, they already have the information and will make it right for you. I have had no problems with the install or the glass. The glass they installed in mine carried the Winnebago part numbers and the Winny logo. You would never know it was not the original glass.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I notice you are in Washington State. Give Mike Wilkinson a call. 360-590-0207. Mike runs Wilkinson Glass and specializes in RV Glass repair and replacement.
He works from his Truck and Trailer and covers the WEST COAST from Washington to California.
Give him a call and get a price.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have had a windshield replacement done by our local automotive glass shop. They ordered it from an outside source, (might have been Dunkin), but I thought they said Winnebago. They did a beautiful job and guaranteed it for life against leaks. $900.00 installed. Insurance paid full price.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote